Garmin Edge Touring

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheddar Man

Garmin Edge Touring

Post by Cheddar Man »

I've never taken the plunge to e-navigation, but I feel I can avoid it no longer!

So with the current Garmin issues aside, does anyone have any experience with the Edge Touring? There are a couple on e-bay that aren't expensive, so I am teetering.

It looks easy enough to use, but my other concern is that the interface all talks about pc's, but I use a Chromebook, so the second question is does anyone have experience of .gpx uploading etc on a Chromebook?

Thanks chaps
In Reverse

Re: Garmin Edge Touring

Post by In Reverse »

Haven't used the Edge Touring but own an Edge 810 and an 830. I'd assume the software's very similar if not identical and yes - they're pretty straightforward to use.

Presumably your Chromebook has a USB port of some description? If so you'll be fine for transferring gpx files to and from. You can also do it via Bluetooth to and from your phone via the Garmin Connect app.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I've used an Edge Touring for many years now and, but for a couple of times when it's switched itself off, it's been reliable and easy to use.

You won't be able to sync using Garmin Express which is incompatible with Chrome OS. Ref. https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=X ... qd7PYlkfe6.

Nor can you use Bluetooth to sync to a phone. Ref. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/gar ... puter.html and https://averagejoecyclist.com/garmin-ed ... ng-vs-810/.

But you can mount the GPS as an external drive and upload/download GPX routes and tracks using the Chromebook Files app and thence to/from Stava/Komoot/etc. Ref. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use- ... hromebook/.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I bloody knew it would be a Chromefaff!

But still doable, so I will give it a go. Many thanks.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

quimarche wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Nor can you use Bluetooth to sync to a phone. Ref. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/gar ... puter.html and https://averagejoecyclist.com/garmin-ed ... ng-vs-810/.
Don't both of those say it works with the Garmin Connect app on your phone in the same wasy as the Edge 810?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've got a Touring and an Explore, the Touring is vastly inferior in almost every way. It charges and data transfers via mini usb which is very fragile and nearly obsolete, the screen contrast is rubbish so you have to have max backlight which hammers the battery life. The major way the Explore scores is its wireless connectivity to a phone to upload and download routes and the screen clarity, especially in sunlight is infinitely better. If I were you I'd save up for an Explore, they're not hugely more expensive and you'll end up hating the clunkyness of the Touring and upgrade eventually.
Oh,and I haven't seen the ones on eBay but I'd bet a pound to a penny they suffer from intermittent faults with the usb port. Also the base mapping is rubbish, if they haven't got something like 1:50,000 OS on a micro SD card, they're a waste of plastic.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use an old Edge Touring more often than my Oregon 550t

More for having the map up than for following a route, but do the odd route on it too. Generally local stuff with the Edge, bigger trips with the Oregon

Find it fine for what it is. Would like wireless connectivity for ease
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheers Duncan - I'd been considering a Touring as a cheap backup to the 830 as the 810's bricked. Will look elsewhere. :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I had an 800, now an Edge Touring. Use it with a dynamo to USB converter and drag-drop GPX files, CBA with Garmin Connect. Zero issues with either of them. Just used for GP navigation and for that they're good. They're both basic and that's all I want - no need for live Strava segments, links to data analytics etc, not interested. The fact they can be had so cheap S/H is a bonus :-bd
Also the base mapping is rubbish, if they haven't got something like 1:50,000 OS on a micro SD card, they're a waste of plastic.
Not tried it as I have a Garmin Europe roads SD, so that probably does help. NO OS mapping but hasn't been much of an issue in the UK as I only tend to follow pre-made routes, or follow my nose when out.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm no tech wizard and I find the Explore ideally suits my point and click skill level. Living where I do gives me a vast resource of already ridden trails via Wikiloc. The usual routine is to search on the area I fancy and refine the search based on activity, difficulty, distance etc then save a route on my phone. I then use the Wikiloc widget I've downloaded on the unit and wirelessly copy the route. I then ride the route and follow the overlay on the detailled mapping that I downloaded from Fietsmap (all of Spain).By the time I've pressed save and put the bike away, it's uploaded my stats to Garmin Connect which in turn sends it automatically to Wikiloc and notifies me by email. If I want to go a different way once I've started the route, there's a range of options to get me back home or search for alternative options.
All in all it's a massive improvement over the Touring without all the performance metrics and climb-pro toys that add cost and complexity to the 830 and 1030. It also has a bigger screen than the 830 or Touring. If it only had the connection for the Garmin power pack I'd be a happy bunny.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am I've never taken the plunge to e-navigation, but I feel I can avoid it no longer!
Given there seems a slight air of reluctance/doubt there; gently devil's advocate here, and desperately trying not to sound troll-y: why's that then? Will it provide something you don't feel you have at the moment? Bit of fun (and why not)?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am I've never taken the plunge to e-navigation, but I feel I can avoid it no longer!
Given there seems a slight air of reluctance/doubt there; gently devil's advocate here, and desperately trying not to sound troll-y: why's that then? Will it provide something you don't feel you have at the moment? Bit of fun (and why not)?
Good question! See I love a bit of tech so feel I may be missing a trick here.

The reluctance is my absolute love of paper maps! It's weird, a bit 'sad' I guess, but I love them. All my life I have used paper maps and seeing the landscape on a map is easy for me, I should probably have been a pigeon :grin:
But after winning high level orienteering events at every age group since the age of 15 I am just programmed to use maps and am thinking that dipping my toe in the world of GPS navigation may be worth a go. I don't want to spend hundreds though :shock:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If you're thinking about an Edge touring, I reckon a Wahoo or a Wahoo ROAM should hit the spot. Much easier and simpler user interface...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:55 pm The reluctance is my absolute love of paper maps! It's weird, a bit 'sad' I guess, but I love them.
Absolutely not sad at all! We occasionally have a maps v gizmos playoff on Here, which seems to come down to Stu/me V everybody else :smile: . So we can be a trio now, hurrah :smile: . I've no intention of getting a gizmo, in a nutshell I don't like minutely planned routes, I don't like following a line, I don't like only seeing a square mile of map at a time, and I don't like looking down instead of up/out :wink: . Admittedly I'm not keen on wet maps either, but OS Actives keep that under control. And maps are duel use - they're also works of art which one can pore over for hours. Oh and you can put them over your head when it rains, and use them as groundsheets. You can also have fun navigating using old maps and trying to deal with the changed landscape - did Stoke-Manchester with 1947 1" which had massive changes, and Buxton-Matlock with 1953 1" which hardly had any! Got some funny looks but that's nowt new.

You've still got time to re-consider :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm very late into this as usual but ... I bought a Garmin Edge Touring about 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. Im too tight to get something fit for purpose so I stick with this piece of sh1t and work around it foibles. Just saying.
I'm just going outside ...
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:55 pm The reluctance is my absolute love of paper maps! It's weird, a bit 'sad' I guess, but I love them.
Absolutely not sad at all! We occasionally have a maps v gizmos playoff on Here, which seems to come down to Stu/me V everybody else :smile: . So we can be a trio now, hurrah :smile: . I've no intention of getting a gizmo, in a nutshell I don't like minutely planned routes, I don't like following a line, I don't like only seeing a square mile of map at a time, and I don't like looking down instead of up/out :wink: . Admittedly I'm not keen on wet maps either, but OS Actives keep that under control. And maps are duel use - they're also works of art which one can pore over for hours. Oh and you can put them over your head when it rains, and use them as groundsheets. You can also have fun navigating using old maps and trying to deal with the changed landscape - did Stoke-Manchester with 1947 1" which had massive changes, and Buxton-Matlock with 1953 1" which hardly had any! Got some funny looks but that's nowt new.

You've still got time to re-consider :wink: .
I knew there would be like minded souls on here! Yep, put me down as one of the Paper Map Trio for future discussions.

The highlighted bit is me to a tee! When I did JoGLE I headed south with an OS touring map of the UK for general guidance :grin:

Right, I am going to save my money and buy a new sleeping mat :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh gawd I've talked you out of it! Feel all guilty now. Hang on, no I don't, you'll have the pleasure of a nice mat instead now :smile: .