Strava to Garmin Etrex problem...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Strava to Garmin Etrex problem...

Post by BreninBeener »

I have seen a couple of rides that Strava buddies have done and wanted to follow the same route….
I go to the map of the ride and click GPX download. When this has downloaded, i drag and drop into my Garmin Etrex 30x. The file appears in track manager and i select it. So far so good. However when i load these routes up, they are not the entire route, but about 3/4 of it.
Any idea what im doing wrong? Ive tried it with more than one person and route amd it seems to truncate it.
Please help!
Ian
macinblack

Re: Strava to Garmin Etrex problem...

Post by macinblack »

I think used to have this problem and I had to actually open the file in something like Bikehike and specifically save it as a GPX track for it to show all the waypoints.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ah ok. It has me puzzled as if you follow online tutorials or the Strava help page im pretty sure im doing it correct...but not the way you suggest. I shall see how that works out....
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I've not used Strava for years and so there may be a slight leakage in recollection but I'm sure that's what I did.
Someone will probably have a more straightforward way to do it though.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks. I shall try your suggestion when i get home

Ian
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Your Etrex will have a limit of something like 250 Waypoints per Route. If you convert it to a Track then it'll be a few thousand Teackpoints. There are various ways of converting it. I always use Basecamp.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ace. Thanks. I will try it as soon as im home from work!
Regards
Ian
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What we think of as a "route" that we'd follow Garmin actually calls a "track". If you have the option always export as a track.

What's annoying is that some programs and sites actually export a track but call it a route :oops: Also people say "have you a GPS route?" rather than "have you a GPS track?"

In Garmin terms a route is a set of Waypoints that the device routes you between. Basically you are at Euston Station and the first waypoint is the Tower of London so the device picks the best route to get you there even if it's not the one you think you should take. A track would show the exact line to follow between the two.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think the main issue is there's too many points. Strava uses the data from the gps recording. If you ride a dead straight road 10 miles long you'll end up with 100s of points in the recorded track as the gps logs it at intervals, say every second. It doesn't know you're going in a straight line after all and it needs all the points to calculate your speed.

If you draw the track in some mapping software you'd only need 2 points for the same road.

Basecamp can reduce the number of points so the eTrex can handle it. I've had to do this before for a supplied route for an event when the organiser has used their recorded track from a test ride of the route and sent that out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ok, so when i got home, i had another go at this…..
I went to the athletes profile i was copying and pulled up the map of the route. Instead of clicking DOWNLOAD GPX, i clicked CREATE ROUTE and it the pulled up a route making page. I just clicked SAVE and it created a smaller file than before, which i dragged into the GPX folder in my Etrex 30x.
When i then switched on the Garmin, i was able to see the full route on the map! Hurray!
Thanks to everyone who helped me!
Ian