Durability of BOA Laces

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Durability of BOA Laces

Post by sean_iow »

My current shoes of choice are Northwave Spider Plus 2s which use Northwave's own version of a BOA style closure

I have managed to break the lace before, I assume I caught it on a rock or something. This wasn't an issue as the velcro strap keeps the shoe on, in fact I think I rode the last 100+ miles of the HT550 with a broken lace.

I'm thinking of trying some Scott Crus-R shoes and these have a genuine BOA closure

But if I break a lace there would not be anything to hold the shoe on. What are peoples experience with the genuine BOA? Durable? Or do the laces snap easily?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Re: Durability of BOA Laces

Post by FLV »

I’ve used them on old lake shoes, they outlasted the upper of the boot.
Got boa on my spesh recon shoes, about 750km done.
Never failed one

I have clogged the mechanism with frozen mud on the lakes, but that’s not the question I guess
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Never broken a lace but the dial on some older model Lake failed twice.
No problem thus far with the Boa on Shimano MW7.
The warranty back up was ace however and the dials were replaced simply by filling in an online form.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have thre epairs over the last 10 years and have had one lace break in that time
The good news is BOA send you replacement everything free of charge

Therefore my advice is
1) dont worry they are durable
2) Use the warranty page and say they broke then take a spare lace with you bikepacking - NB the laces and button are different on each shoe and they will send it all if you claim its allbroken
https://store.boafit.com/en-us/warranty

looks like that trick is not an option as you have to send pics - did not go all the way through to be certain though- just saw it says so on frontpage

£4 for some - just a quick google - again will need model specfic

https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/boa-m2-replac ... gKQIfD_BwE

Basically it is highly unlikely to happen but it could - up there with breaking your rim for chances - possible but unlikely

I reckon you could zip tie/duct tape it round the sole to your foot in an emergency - not going to be easy to take off mind but it would be character building
Moff

Post by Moff »

The Boa in my 5:10's is a plastic coated wire.
3 or 4 years old now and lasting pretty well, despite the plastic coating splitting.
No sure I'd get shoes with a full length single Boa again, getting the tension right across the shoes take a while with a number of re-adjustments.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers all. The Northwave laces are only a cord, albeit quite durable*, I've replaced them with Dynema as it was cheaper than the genuine laces.

It sounds like the BOA laces are much stronger so I'll give them a try.

* but not quite durable enough for my treatment :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've got a pair of the lace Crus R's arriving tomorrow - better option?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm I've got a pair of the lace Crus R's arriving tomorrow - better option?
I did consider laces but then I'd have to untie then with my non-working cold hands at night :smile:

I'd be interested in how the soles are for walking and how grippy they are? Perhaps you'd care to pop out to the Fords of Avon and test them on the rocks on the crossing for me :wink:
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

On my Shimano winter boots it was the eyelet that failed.....

I bodged it with a paper clip :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm I've got a pair of the lace Crus R's arriving tomorrow - better option?
I did consider laces but then I'd have to untie then with my non-working cold hands at night :smile:

I'd be interested in how the soles are for walking and how grippy they are? Perhaps you'd care to pop out to the Fords of Avon and test them on the rocks on the crossing for me :wink:
Well they will definitely get walked in from the word go so I'll keep you posted!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got a pair of Fizik shoes with boa laces. Bought them in 2015, they've been in regular use since. They've done one Divide, several 2/3 week tours and too many day rides to mention. No problems at all.