Attaching Cages to Suspension forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

Attaching Cages to Suspension forks

Post by Mythste »

Hello!

I recently received two Blackburn cages (From a very nice chap on here, I might add) that I intend to use across two separate bikes. One is a Genesis CdF. Has one mount, will zip tie through the other, no problem.

The other is an Orange Crush for the Gnarlier trips. I'm not planning on banging loads of weight on these cages, but is there a better option than some inner tube and a zip tie?

If zip ties are the best way, does anyone recommend a particular brand of re-usable zip ties?

Insight welcome!
fatbikephil

Re: Attaching Cages to Suspension forks

Post by fatbikephil »

There are a few threads on this and various options but 8mm zip ties and inner tube worked for me many times. They weren't re-usable but you could generally pop up the wee tab and open them / re-use them.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Jubilee clips will be more than up to the job although perhaps a little hardcore.

I've used these from Decathon before and they've done the job: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-univers ... 39445.html

Or the Zefal Gizmo seems quite popular: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Gizmo-II ... gJ9E_D_BwE
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Nothing will beat jubilee clips for security but zip ties will probably work - by which i mean if anyone* has ever lost a cage it will be a zip tie one and not a triple jubilee set up like my gorilla cages

* I have never heard of this happening with zip ties - then again its a few quid more and a few grams for the certainty of jubilee clips
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Some ideas and experience in here:
https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

htrider wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm There are a few threads on this and various options but 8mm zip ties and inner tube worked for me many times. They weren't re-usable but you could generally pop up the wee tab and open them / re-use them.
You know what, I'm old enough to know better than to post without using the search function first. My bad!

I hadn't even considered jubilee clips and I'm certainly not a weight weeny so that's definitely the way I'm going to go, and I suspect with careful set up I can re-use them too.

Ace! Thanks!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Doing just this

A Topeak water bottle adapter
And hose clips
Will take a photo and post later.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

King Cage Universal Support Bolt

A bit pricey but rock solid in my experience.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I suspect with careful set up I can re-use them too.
Yes I have swappedmine over on to new forks - but gorrilla cages don need to be permanently installed as you can clip them in - i assume its much more of a pain with other cages if the cage is under the clip
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Topeak versamount is probably what you're looking for.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I've just done 200km in the peak district using the planet X fork kts.

On My test ride they slipped slightly so I put inner tube loops on the forks with zip ties, then zip tied the chassis's to the forks.

Absolutely rock solid and the inner tubes means there will be no rubbing on the forks.

Very pleased.