Economical way to lower a bottle cage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Economical way to lower a bottle cage

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm looking for a cheaper solution to the £21 Wolf Tooth B-Rad doohickey to move the bottle cage on my downtube a bit so a 750ml bottle will clear my new half frame bag. I'm no Heath Robinson so bodging isn't really my thing.

Any thoughts?

Bestest
Me
I'm just going outside ...
FLV

Re: Economical way to lower a bottle cage

Post by FLV »

is it to clear the bag with the bottle in situ, or to get it in and out?

(side cage takes care of the latter)

For the former, how much lower?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers Colin, that's just the ticket.

FLV - it's to move it down an inch or so. Want to be able to take it out with grubbing about.

:-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

How about free? Or maybe a packet of biscuits? Any shop that does a lot of commuter bikes will fit SKS mudguards which come with a range of mounting brackets 3/4 of which are unused. They should have dozens in the scrap box.
I use these with the countersunk bolts used on SPD cleats, bolt the bracket to the existing mounts on the bike and the bottom hole becomes the top one on the cage and the countersunk nut and bolt secures the bottom of the cage. Works fine, if worried, zip tie on the bottom of the cage around the frame tube and a bit of rubber to prevent marking the frame.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Or you can use a Di2 external battery mount like this, can he had for under a tenner:

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/7012/pr ... lUQAvD_BwE
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got one of those Di2 mounts. I find it a faff, and wouldn't recommend them. Those Topeak ones look a much better bet.
FLV

Post by FLV »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:24 pm Cheers Colin, that's just the ticket.

FLV - it's to move it down an inch or so. Want to be able to take it out with grubbing about.

:-bd
Theres a few cages with slots which lower them a bit is where I was going.

The one I had in my head was a blackburn one, but have since found out it aint that cheap
https://www.bike24.com/p2323888.html
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Just done similar to raise the cage in my tandem so it would fit on the roof rack. 15x3mm steel strip, 3 holes in it with the top one threaded. First hole just to the lower frame mount, second through the cage and strip and into the upper frame mount, third one has the top bolt of the cage. This moved the whole thing by the distance between the bottle mounts. You could do similar for any distance with 4 holes and low profile rotor bolts.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Tim I made some aluminium plates for composite to lower his cages if you want I’ll knock some up this weekend if you give me the dimensions there’s a picture in myog thread from about last September /October
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Stu that would be hugely helpful. The ones from Topeak arrived and they're too long, so the bottom of the bottle doesn't fit into the cage. I'll try to do some measuring this week and PM you. Thanks fella.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 am Stu that would be hugely helpful. The ones from Topeak arrived and they're too long, so the bottom of the bottle doesn't fit into the cage. I'll try to do some measuring this week and PM you. Thanks fella.
No bother , let me know what length you want the strip where you want the mounting holes drilling and the distance from these what you want threading, don’t forget you’ll need longer bolts to mount the cage as the button heads stick slightly proud of the strip , can’t counter sink it as it’s only 3mm thick and that don’t leave much material to secure it to the frame