NCN cuts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: NCN cuts

Post by RIP »

If you're really keen (I would assume you are :smile: ), here's the Infrastructure Guidelines: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... n-1-20.pdf

Time to get bombarding your Councils with your requirements for your towns.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

this government is great at promises but it does not often deliver on them - world leading app for example- so I will believe it when I see it
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

The NCN will dissappear from the whole of Shetland, but they want the route to remain in a different status/name. It was only all resigned last year.

The new specifications/criteria for sustrans funding will also be an issue for us where segregation is not really practical or necessary with our user numbers. We have a major housing development in planning where a lot of effort has gone in to active travel routes and it will be a massive change in terms of development here, but it wouldn't qualify for funding under the new guidelines.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Moder-dye wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm We have a major housing development in planning where a lot of effort has gone in to active travel routes and it will be a massive change in terms of development here, but it wouldn't qualify for funding under the new guidelines.
Yes this is the main issue as I mentioned also. However, it's up to us to lobby our Councils to demand the cash to implement the "new" ideas. If they don't see this lobbying and enthusiasm going on, as Laz says nowt may happen. We're already piling the pressure on in our town via our "Cycling Forum". If you can present an "oven ready" (arg) plan, as we discovered when we won our Cycling Town bid in 2009 as the smallest town mainly on the basis of our Cycling Forum "wish list" and plan, they will jump on it.

I still like my idea of using their statements against them: 1/ “If it’s necessary to re-allocate roadspace from parking or motoring it should be done”, and 2/ “Contraflow cycling should be the default on all quieter one-way streets”. So make ALL streets in your town one-way and use the freed-up space to create segregated cycle lanes on every road in the town. Simple :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I get your point but its just not possible with the houses and roads allready built
I live on a one way street and going against that would mean no parking on the street for any car - I have no idea where you want them all to go seeing as all the streets will be the same round my way - going to be a big problem in terraced streets up north

We only have parking on one side anyway so the surrounding streets are full as well.
I doubt I am the only one with this issue and I assure you I dont mind a walk to my car or using it less but i cannot see where or how we all park with this plan.
Its much more realistic - for their is the space - to do this to the major arteries* in and out of the town than all the residential areas within it.

* its a small town I mean the A roads into it its not a major metropolis. actually one of them is not wide enough to do this the other 4 ways are.

EDIT: I dont mean to sound so negative and I will also get active on this, as you suggest, rather than just moan on here its impossible
RIP

Post by RIP »

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the one-way street idea :wink: . Although it could indeed work in some situations.

Being a cynical old sod, I do even wonder whether the whole thing is a ruse to make it too difficult to satisfy the criteria and we end up worse off than now, but there's little point going down that route of thought.