Oh Arse!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Oh Arse!

Post by BigdummySteve »

Thought I’d give the bike a clean as it’s had some use the last few weeks.

No dramatic impact that I can remember recently, I did notice a drop in pressure
WTB Ci31 roughly 2 years old.
Scary thing was I hit nearly 45 mph on the way home this morning.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Re: Oh Arse!

Post by lune ranger »

Yikes :shock:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's the trouble with cleaning your bike :wink:

I didn't notice the cracks in my Stans Arch rim until I cleaned the bike, if I'd left it dirty I'd probably still be riding on that rim now* and none the wiser :grin:

* Unless of course the spokes pulled through the cracked eyelets.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ton

Post by ton »

i dont think i will bother with carbon rims. :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ton wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 pm i dont think i will bother with carbon rims. :shock:
You better also not bother with alloy rims. Just imagine, they break unexpectedly!
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:26 pm Scary thing was I hit nearly 45 mph on the way home this morning.
I know that feeling. Blew tyres and damaged (alloy) rims at high speeds and at the moment it's very, very unfunny that often resulted in more carnage, like snapping frames and bones.

Your experience shows, that carbon not fails the way many think it does. (Fill in necassarily and/or always in prior sentences as you wish if your a carbon sceptic).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think it fails in an expensive way - am I really wrong :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:09 pm I think it fails in an expensive way - am I really wrong :wink:
I usually dented alloy rims on impacts, rendering then useless for tubeless use, even after bending them back into shape.
So, I often ended up getting a new one.
My carbon rims are much stronger where it depends, after a solid ding and damaged tyre, the rims show absolutely no sign of the impact.

I once rode past some over hanging bedrock, slipped and caught the rear on it. I was lucky to ride it out. It damaged multiple spokes and put a soft spot into my carbon rim.
In my experience I would've had to walk home with an aluminium rim - too many spokes had snapped.
I got a new carbon rim through crash replacement for a fraction of the initial price and had the damaged rim fixed professionally.
I'm certain this little slip would've cost me more if it had been an aluminium rim.

Over the years I find I have about 3 x the damage with aluminium rims compared to carbon rims. Yet the initial cost of carbon is not 3 x as much and the financial situation gets even better once they become damaged.

So, in my experience, yes, you're wrong. (Given we're comparing Lightbicycle carbon rims against alu rims like RaceFace Arc, Stan's Flow, DT's, WTB KOM etc.)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I suppose you've seen this video of Danny MacAskill trying to destroy a set of carbon rims. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjjiHGuHoc
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Yes, seem that video. The strange thing is that I genuinely can’t think of any impact which might have damaged it, I don’t jump/ do backflips etc and run high enough pressures to prevent rim impacts.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

One glimmer of hope, I’m just inside the 3 year warranty, I struggle to Believe they won’t just dismiss it as crash damage however.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That doesn't look like crash or impact damage Steve.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Does seem a funny place to crack that, almost looks like a compression / shear fracture (45 degrees to circumference up sidewall) possibly up the line of the carbon weave. Good tip - tell them you were 'just riding along' when it happened - they'll be bound to warranty it!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If it doesn't polish out, a bit of duct tape strategically placed will remove all worry. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:58 pm Does seem a funny place to crack that, almost looks like a compression / shear fracture (45 degrees to circumference up sidewall) possibly up the line of the carbon weave. Good tip - tell them you were 'just riding along' when it happened - they'll be bound to warranty it!
Just riding along, although a classic excuse of the incompetent is more or less the truth. Even though it’s a dropbar bike I’m not shy downhills but hey I’m an old git and not even sure what ‘sending it’ actually involves :wink:
I even phoned pickers up, he gave the spokes a squeeze when I popped in last week so it’s not spoke tension.

Not sure what I’ll replace it with if they don’t warranty it, probably light bicycle carbon.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:56 pm That doesn't look like crash or impact damage Steve.
Indeed.
htrider wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:58 pm Does seem a funny place to crack that, almost looks like a compression / shear fracture (45 degrees to circumference up sidewall) possibly up the line of the carbon weave.
Also what I though when I saw the photo.
pistonbroke wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 pm If it doesn't polish out, a bit of duct tape strategically placed will remove all worry. :-bd
Hard if you have to choose between giraffe, elephant and monkey plasters.
The elephant did a great job.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I took the option of breaking down the wheel, I’ve no working bike now but I would otherwise be tempted to use it , it’ll be ok? If that had let go at 45mph it would be a different discussion.

RIP

Post by RIP »

You and wheels are jinxed Stevo mate :smile: . What with your record with spokes, hoops, whatever, it's about time you went for the nuclear option. Only £1500 (each!) reduced from £2k. Problem gone. Wallet empty.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My experience with carbon rims was similar, never again for me.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

You are localish to me - can lend you a bike/wheel if need something to keep pedaling with while you sort this out Steve?
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Just how dirty were they, for you to not notice that?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If that had let go at 45mph it would be a different discussion.
Agreed, it would have been quite a bang in the enclosed space in the back of your van :grin:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

wriggles wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 am You are localish to me - can lend you a bike/wheel if need something to keep pedaling with while you sort this out Steve?
Cheers Andy, may take you up on the offer of a wheel depending on how long it takes to sort.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 pm You and wheels are jinxed Stevo mate :smile: . What with your record with spokes, hoops, whatever, it's about time you went for the nuclear option. Only £1500 (each!) reduced from £2k. Problem gone. Wallet empty.

With the added benefit of making your bike a fixie
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well I’ve just had a nice email from WTB, apparently they are going to warranty it :-bd
Unfortunately the Ci31 rim is longer available, but they can fund the cost of a suitable replacement, I’m having trouble finding a suitable rim , 29” 32 hole 30-31 mm internal
Any recommendations?

FLV

Post by FLV »

This a newer version of a rim I have years of use on
https://www.lightbicycle.com/35mm-wide- ... ility.html

Never used these
https://whiskyparts.co/rims/no9-36w