Drive train cleaner / degreaser?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Drive train cleaner / degreaser?

Post by ootini »

whats everyone's drive train cleaning solution of choice? Just looking at this TrueTension stuff, looks good but wanted real world experiences and opinions.

Also, do these little plastic brush filled chain cleaning box things work, or gimmick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007HDNOT2/ ... eFbFQECC8Y
shutuplegs

Re: Drive train cleaner / degreaser?

Post by shutuplegs »

I tried Citrus Degreaser from tool station the other day, brilliant stuff!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

The little plastic box i find totally fantastic. That and a toothbrush really makes your drive chain look like new.
We use VIROSOL its a commercial floor degreaser. Its quite alkaline but brings all the grease off. We rinse everything and relube when dry.
Its available from commercial cleaning supply outlets. 5l costs about £8, and it lasts ages.
Ian
ootini

Post by ootini »

BreninBeener wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 am The little plastic box i find totally fantastic. That and a toothbrush really makes your drive chain look like new.
We use VIROSOL its a commercial floor degreaser. Its quite alkaline but brings all the grease off. We rinse everything and relube when dry.
Its available from commercial cleaning supply outlets. 5l costs about £8, and it lasts ages.
Ian
I assume you use the virosol neat in the chain cleaning box, and then spray some on the cassette for a scrub ? Am I right in thinking you need to be careful to avoid contamination of the brake discs?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Screwfix do 5l of degreaser for around a tenner. For general cleaning you can dilute it was water. It works very well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

ootini wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 am Also, do these little plastic brush filled chain cleaning box things work, or gimmick?
The Park and Finish Line versions I have are good - really useful. I just use really hot water and washing up liquid in there though. Run it through with a lot of clean water to get all detergent out of the links and rollers, that's important.

I try to avoid using more aggressive degreasers anywhere near the bike itself as they get into BB and hub seals. Save it for part cleaning off the bike and full strip-downs of parts. Cleaning products kill pivots and bearings and increase the need for more lubricants and servicing, it's a bit of a cycle and descent into creaky knackered bike ime. Useful for the manufacturers of those products though.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

For chain, chain off, Virosol and warm water in a jar, shake, empty, repeat until water looks clearish then scrub with nailbrush to finish.

For cassette, removed from hub and in same mix in an old 5L container with the side cut open. Leave for a while then scrub to finish.

Chainrings I've sometimes cleaned on the bikes but bearing concerns and the fact it's easier to get to all the nooks and crannies mean I've been removing the cranks lately for very dirty bikes....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AlexGold wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 am For chain, chain off, Virosol and warm water in a jar, shake, empty, repeat until water looks clearish then scrub with nailbrush to finish.

For cassette, removed from hub and in same mix in an old 5L container with the side cut open. Leave for a while then scrub to finish.

Chainrings I've sometimes cleaned on the bikes but bearing concerns and the fact it's easier to get to all the nooks and crannies mean I've been removing the cranks lately for very dirty bikes....
Pretty much this. I think we are currently using Halfords citrus cleaner. Really dirty chains/cogs just get left in the container overnight to let things soak.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've been using Purple Extreme chain lube and not needing to degrease the drivetrain.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:31 am Pretty much this. I think we are currently using Halfords citrus cleaner. Really dirty chains/cogs just get left in the container overnight to let things soak.
I'm careful about this - depending on the cleaner, there is a chance it'll discolour the metal if left for a prolonged period. I've had a chain that I forgot about that went very dull. I've also read that some degreasers will significantly weaken metal, there was a guy on another forum whose chain ended up cracked in multiple places from leaving a chain in 'Simple Green', whatever that is.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Same as stu Screwfix and dilute into a old much off bottle :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 am Screwfix do 5l of degreaser for around a tenner. For general cleaning you can dilute it was water. It works very well.
This!

The ‘no nonsense’ stuff is amazing. Never found anything that cleans a chain like it.

Except petrol :???:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Gunk
Not as nasty (or effective) as it used to be but works well. That said I'll be trying that screwfix stuff next :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't think I've used 5 litres of degreaser in my life. What are folk doing with the stuff?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Another vote for the Screwfix stuff from me, cheap and very effective.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

I cant imagine anything better than Virosol (though this may be a personal failing).
I use it in the park chain cleaner, then use a toothbrush in the last of the liquid in the chain cleaner to brush the cassette and chainrings. I then hose it off straight away. Its alkaline so it can fade bright anodising if left on for ages. I have had no trouble with bb and hub contamination. I dont know how it would get on the discs, its not being sprayed.

Ian
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dont realy see the point
5 minutes on a muddy trail and your perfectly clean chain is now just as grimy and shitty as mine
Road its worth it if you want those extra 2-3 watts for the first hour or so till the grime gets in the chain
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Mucoff drivetrain cleaner is very effective. Used with a Fenwicks chain cleaning sponge which is absolutely brilliant and cheap. Far better than those drivetrain cleaning machine things IMO.

For the rest of the bike just a basic, cheap general cleaner.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Currently using Green Gunk on the chain and cassettes only, general cleaner on most of everything else. Second what Matt uses on the chain, the Fenwicks sponge thing is great.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Al

Post by Al »

An update for other lovers of the Screwfix no nonsense degreaser:

I've been keeping some In an old alloy water bottle as it’s easier to pour than the big 5l container. Went to use it this morning and it had eaten through the bottle :shock: so, er maybe make sure you rinse it off well especially with alloy frames!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Another vote for Purple Extreme not creating clag.
I clean my chain weekly with a WD40 soaked rag until it looks er clean.
Then lubricate and once a year bin it and put a new one on.
Chain rings and cassette are so far all 'clean' when I inspect for cleaning so I just leave.
Over winter cassette gets stripped and individual cogs cleaned.
Chain rings cleaned insitu unless being removed for some other reason.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m a great believer in minimal cleaning. When it’s wet and muddy I hose the bike down with plain water and scrub lightly with an old washing-up brush then wipe the chain dry with a rag. That’s about all the cleaning it ever gets.

If it’s dry, I might remember to wipe the chain or I might not.

This saves time, avoids nasty chemicals and saves inadvertently degreasing bearings etc. My drivetrain doesn’t seem to die any quicker or be noticeably graunchier than anyone else’s.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Charliecres wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 am This saves time, avoids nasty chemicals and saves inadvertently degreasing bearings etc. My drivetrain doesn’t seem to die any quicker or be noticeably graunchier than anyone else’s.
Me too now. - I just wash with water when I clean the bike, re-lube and then wipe off the excess with an old T-shirt. - The chains look OK, perform well and seem to last as long as ever.

Now that I have a quick removal link tool I usually hang the bike up and then remove the chain and wheels when I wash the bike and then wash the wheels separately with a bucket of soapy water and a brush and give the cassette a quick scrub. Whilst the wheels and chain are off it is easy and quick to wash/wipe the rear mech and jockey wheels and the chainring.