Underwear for riding

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Underwear for riding

Post by thenorthwind »

Before we start, I should point out that I've just spent half an hour Googling "boxers" so I've seen every sort of "male lingerie" going, so there's no need to share any more, children (try it if you don't believe me - no special keywords required!) :wink:

Having tried tried different combinations of padded shorts, bibs, liners, saddles, chamois creams, etc. I've come to the conclusion that plain old boxers under whatever riding shorts are just as comfortable as anything else. A recent 135 mile road/gravel ride with cotton boxers under cotton/polyamide shorts has convinced me of this.

I don't think I've quite reached optimum long-distance comfort though, so I'm looking for recommendations for boxers. I tried some seamless synthetic ones from Decathlon but they were awful - they roll up and bunch up and chafe more than anything else I've worn. I've got some normal bamboo boxers for normal wear but don't see much difference.

These just popped up in an advert (damn targeted advertising), which is what reminded me of this: https://uk.stepone.life/pages/underwear They look like they would be quite comfortable with the lycra panel. Plus, bamboo (though admittedly unsold on that point). Quite expensive though.

Any other recommendations?
ootini

Re: Underwear for riding

Post by ootini »

If my shorts are padded, baggy or lycra doesn't matter, then I go commando.
If they're not, then I wear my cheapo padded boxers from Amazon.
I once wore silk mix boxer shorts under lycra shorts and nearly garrotted my own bollocks off. Be warned. Nature's way is the best way.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

FWIW I'm very happy with Björn Borg "shorts" in some sort of synthetic fabric.

I suspect however that this subject is very much like saddles - everyone's arse is slightly different.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you tried wearing nowt underneath Dave? You might be surprised. I don't wear padded shorts and I don't wear anything beneath my baggies and 'tis comfy ... let 'em breath and get some air round it. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Go commando.
ton

Post by ton »

i just wear cheap primark cotton undies. perfect

https://www.primark.com/en/categories/m ... /127905808
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:26 pm Have you tried wearing nowt underneath Dave? You might be surprised. I don't wear padded shorts and I don't wear anything beneath my baggies and 'tis comfy ... let 'em breath and get some air round it. :-bd
Admittedly I haven't. I will try and summon the courage to try. Suspect the results then become dependent on your shorts - have you tried many different ones?
Landslide wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:16 pm I suspect however that this subject is very much like saddles - everyone's arse is slightly different.
Probably very true.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Admittedly I haven't. I will try and summon the courage to try. Suspect the results then become dependent on your shorts - have you tried many different ones?
Yeah, can't think how many different pairs I've had over the years and don't recall problems with any.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tried isobaa merino boxers under baggies - fine for up to 6 hours, not so fine thereafter.....
Al

Post by Al »

Really like under armour tech boxer jocks. Made of very stretchy base layer type fabric. Works well with baggies if you don’t want a pad but you want ‘something’.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

htrider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:01 pm Tried isobaa merino boxers under baggies - fine for up to 6 hours, not so fine thereafter.....
I found merino gave me an itchy ring but bamboo boxers (BAM ones) were lovely and comfy. I can't imagine regular-style cotton boxers would do anything other than garot my nuts, form awfy sharp creases and just generally be a sore, sweaty, wet mess.

Though as others have said, it's an entirely personal thing.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

garot my nuts, form awfy sharp creases and just generally be a sore, sweaty, wet mess.
There's folk who'll pay good money for that sort of treatment.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Dare I say I usually now wear bib shorts (usually 3/4 length in the northern UK) !

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/best-of-bib-shorts
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well I went out for a short (maybe 10 mile) bimble yesterday and thought I might as well dip my toe in the commando pool. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was with just my heavy polycotton touring shorts. Will reserve judgement til I have the chance to try a longer ride, but I have high hopes.
I can't imagine regular-style cotton boxers would do anything other than garot my nuts, form awfy sharp creases and just generally be a sore, sweaty, wet mess.
Depends really. I have some cotton ones from M&S (because I'm so edgy :lol: ) that I've found pretty comfortable on 100 mile+ rides, whereas my cheap-ish bamboo ones are so comfy - I think they're too soft and they bunch up.

So, probably this again:
everyone's arse is slightly different
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I’ve been wearing UA boxers under my chamois, but I’ve read this week that it’s not recommended.
Last time I was riding a bike regularly was thirty odd years ago and as a teenager I just wore whatever.
Now I find after a full days riding I’m getting a bit tender down there so I’ve had to enlist the help of said chamois.

So kegs or no kegs, the latter sounds gross for multiday trips
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I generally wear bib shorts, but when I'm not in lycra then I've found that the breathable mesh ones on Groupon are good.

Four- or Eight-Pack of Breathable Mesh Boxers

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/breatha ... eferral_ma
faustus

Post by faustus »

For shorter mtb rides i've gone to undercrackers and baggies, but the boxers need to be snug or elasticated, nobody wants their plums squashed!

Anything else, it's bib shorts and baggies and never worn anything under bibs, it's what they're meant for! :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Shewie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:54 am So kegs or no kegs, the latter sounds gross for multiday trips
Nothing under bibs, I've done 5 days with one pair, only taking them off at night. I was racing so you tend to go a bit feral. People go longer than that without clean bibs on longer races.

I had some antibacterial wipes I used to wipe my bits down with each night and also gave the chamois a wipe over.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Saw these today. Interesting alternative for the normal pad vs not debate. I'll be giving them a go to see if they keep things nice and dry in the bollock department.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/apparel/fi ... e-chamois/
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Interesting, though why he can't just say/use/write "scrotum" or "bollocks" instead of "boys" :roll: :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

BN3TH (pronounced “beneath)

I am not a marketing expert but if you need to explain how to pronounce the name of your product you have probably not done a great job naming it .
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Apparently they're quite popular already, so in this case I think it was more the journalist feeling the need to explain.

Also, I'd argue it's pronounced b-neath, but what do I know?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Needs photos :shock: :oops:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:41 pm Needs photos :shock: :oops:
There's a vid... though I'm assuming no bollocks on display. :lol:

https://youtu.be/lQVo-XYgrP0
jay91