carbon 29+ rims. anyone use em?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

carbon 29+ rims. anyone use em?

Post by ton »

looking for some new 29+ wheels.

just wondering how dependable carbon wheels are, remembering that i weigh twice most other men do.... :lol:

reason i am asking is because nobody seems to have a good wide alloy rim available.
In Reverse

Re: carbon 29+ rims. anyone use em?

Post by In Reverse »

Have you tried Velocity Dually rims Tony? I've had them for a few years and they've been decent. I'm 90-odd kg so lighter than you but heavier then average.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi,
I've used 30mm (internal) wide light bicycle rims for a few years. I have been 109kg, though I rode less then. The rims have been issue free and fit a 3" tyre. However they are only 1mm wider than a stan's flow whilst a little lighter.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I thought there were plenty of options in alloy? Hope fortus 35, Halo vapour 35 and 50, stans Hugo 52 to name a few...?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum will be a long shortly as he's a fan and convinced me to splash out on a pair. I got the light bicycle ones (full 45 internal width) and despite the cost (which to be fair is a lot less than, say the Jones c rims) and previous extreme cynicism over carbon stuff I've ended up a convert. Weight saving is around 200g's a rim over WTB scrapers / easton arc 45's. I fitted the rims at the same time as switching to summer tyres (wtb rangers) and the bike felt noticeably sprightlier (total weight loss from scrapers and minions to lb carbon rims and rangers was around a kilo). I've ridden them a lot but not much rock riding yet which will be the real test. The light bicycle purchase was hassle free and took around 14 days.

So down to dosh really. I've now used duallys, scrapers and arcs as well as a pair of cheapish nimrod unicycle rims. The only issues was spoke hole cracks on one of the duallys and one of the scrapers but this was likely down to me being a bit over-zealous on the spoke tensions. The new WTBs look good and are a wee bit lighter than the scrapers.

Of more concern is a further reduction in + tyres. Bontrager are no longer listing a 29 x 3.0 XR2 or 4......
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

htrider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm Of more concern is a further reduction in + tyres. Bontrager are no longer listing a 29 x 3.0 XR2 or 4......
Yeah. I'm lookin at uprading my frame to a Travers RussTi 29+ so have been doing some looking around. There genuinely seems to be a much larger choice of carbon 29+ rims than there is 29+ tyres

edit - how did it go with import duty when buying from Light Bicycle?
ton

Post by ton »

been looking at the JRA big pig carbon wheelset. looks not much more expensive than a alloy set.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hope are still doing wheels in their Fortus 35 width but lead time generally for most of their wheels is hovering at 4 weeks ish.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:23 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm Of more concern is a further reduction in + tyres. Bontrager are no longer listing a 29 x 3.0 XR2 or 4......
edit - how did it go with import duty when buying from Light Bicycle?
They do an all in one courier, fees and duty deal. Its probably a bit more expensive than getting them to just post them and pick up the fees and duty yourself but its a lot less hassle
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Noted, cheers. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Kind of.
I'm on Lightbicycle (KHS) rims, i30 mm, mostly in the 420 g weight flavour, 2 with 28 holes, 3 with 32 h. Two of the 32 h rims are of the 470 g type. Up to 2.6 is okay, but then the shape of larger tyres becomes poor show for cornering, so... not really 29+ in my point of view.
Yet, I also use carbon rims on my fatbike.

All are regularly used for bikepacking trips, mainly in the Alps and pre-Alps.

All my carbon rims are doing a sterling job. Transformed the floppy, soft and not responsive alloy wheelsets of my 29er bikes and 26" fatbike I had before.
Far less issues with damage beyond repair, pinch flats, "untrueness".

Search the forum for "lightbicycle". You should find a few answers to potential question.

I'm 80 - 86 kg, depends if I weigh myself before or after a big trip.
End of last year my fatbike rolled on a total weight of about 160 kg(!).
On regular 32 h carbon fatbike rims, db spokes from DT, 197 mm DT rear hub, 135 mm SON front hub. 80 mm internal width, got them directly from a KHS dealer (but are those also sold as Lightbicycle and can be found as in house labelled carbon rims on a few high priced bikes). LIght, stiff, easy setup tubeless. Absolutely worry free.
I did let the bike go on descents, got some damage on bike parts (espacially tyres) and a bag from riding not at all responsible, yet I only re-tensioned a couple of spokes on the rear Wheel (think they were all non drive side) after 6 days, yet the rim was still true. Since then not a single second of work on the wheels.
I had quite some issues with my 200 g heavier, same width alloy fatbike rims. During every 2nd or 3rd ride I had to true the wheel...

I have absolute confidence in KHS/Lightbicycle rims and especially for 29+ and fatbikes I feel a large improvement of riding quality.
ton wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 am looking for some new 29+ wheels.

just wondering how dependable carbon wheels are, remembering that i weigh twice most other men do.... :lol:

reason i am asking is because nobody seems to have a good wide alloy rim available.
If you don't want carbon (they give a harsher feel, no matter what spokes/how few, are initially more expensive) you may want to have a look at RaceFace Arc. I use the 30 mm (when they still were Easton labelled) on my everyday bike, also for bikepacking duties in remote areas and find them about as good as alloy rims get.

Oh... and Lightbicycle is responsive. Good customer service.
htrider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm Alpinum will be a long shortly as he's a fan and convinced me to splash out on a pair.
Got me.
Nice to know you're happy :-bd
What tyres do you mostly ride them with?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:00 pm Nice to know you're happy :-bd
What tyres do you mostly ride them with?
Chupacabras and WTB rangers (lightweight ones) on them so far. WTB's a bit tight, chupas as per normal alloy rims. Tubeless set up no issues. Had one rim puncture caused by a sharp rock kicking up.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Also look at BlueFlow wheels near Nottingham for Carbon rims.
Different widths available to suit
2924 miles per Gallon