Loop bar harness

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Loop bar harness

Post by ootini »

hi.

The Mrs isn't happy with her flat bars and wants something with some sweep and rise. I was considering Ogs like mine, but then saw the On One Geoff bars which look nice.
What kind of bar harnesses do people recommend with loop bars? Do you mount the harness using both bars of the loop, as opposed to the bar and steerer tube on more traditional bar set ups? The Bar yak talon looks like what I have in my mind but not sure if that works with loop bars.
chrisjones

Re: Loop bar harness

Post by chrisjones »

I have a Restrap harness & you can just attach that to the front loop like you would to a normal handlebar. It works really nicely, as it keeps are bag away from brake & gear cables. Having said that, the restrap doesn't attach to the steerer, it has straps that go under the fork crown.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I use a normal Wildcat Lion using the rear part of the loop, i.e. the equivalent of normal bars, in just the same way. Leaves the front loop free.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve got the revelate harness - it works very well :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Revelate Harness - normal part of the bars. Front loop keeps lights out of the way.

I also have a Revelate Sweetroll that has four attachment points, so you can fit it to both parts of the loop. I don't use it these days though.

TBH, with a Loop bar, an Alpkit or Revelate drybag (i.e. one with a ladder) and a couple of voile straps is all you need.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the info folks.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wildcat Lion

Can even take the weight of a pack raft

Last edited by JohnClimber on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have a selection Restrap, Alpkit Gnaro and Specalized Bura Bura. All fit on the normal part of the bar easily.
I’m currently lusting after one of these although I really don’t need one.

https://rockgeist.com/product/jones-bag/
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 pm I have a selection Restrap, Alpkit Gnaro and Specalized Bura Bura. All fit on the normal part of the bar easily.
I’m currently lusting after one of these although I really don’t need one.

https://rockgeist.com/product/jones-bag/
Now that I like. I've got one of the Jones bags which is great for carrying snacks and sunglasses on day trips, but I haven't tried my bar harness with it yet. I'll be very disappointed if they don't fit together well.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

One of the big advantages of loop bars for my money is that you can strap a bag (e.g. Alpkit double-ended with the loops) straight to the bars and it's rock solid and in the right place (unless maybe you have a low stack and a suspension fork?). More faff to remove, admittedly, and you "lose" some bar space for mounting (though spacers easily sort that out), but you can't get more ultralight than 0g.
JohnClimber wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 pm Can even take the weight of a pack raft
So can my non-harness. And mine's bigger than yours (fnar fnar)... packraft that is... though not anymore perhaps :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 pm I use a normal Wildcat Lion using the rear part of the loop, i.e. the equivalent of normal bars, in just the same way. Leaves the front loop free.
Same here. Old Revelate harness wraps well around the full loop also. The loop having 2 'bars' means a just couple of lengths of webbing holds a dry bag effectively, you just loose some finger/grip space.
Can even take the weight of a pack raft
... but can the fork? :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

James, I sort of did that with the Alpkit Gnaro - rotate forward 90 degrees from its intended mounting orientation and strap to the front of loop and around the stem. You can still fit the Wildcat Tomcat bag or similar inside the loop.

I've now fitted (but not used in anger) one of the DrJohn Strapdecks:

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jameso wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:49 am... but can the fork? :wink:
With ease.
https://youtu.be/RncunZDzk3E
jameso

Post by jameso »

With ease.