How often do you take a stove?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

How often do you take a stove?

Post by FLV »

interestingly (to me), the stove is almost always the first thing to get left when trying to squeeze everything into the bags. I seem more likely to take it for a single night as on multi dayers, i need to go to the shop anyway so usually but ready to eat.

Do you always take it?

(Yes, i have superlight meths stoves, gas and petrol to choose from)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: How often do you take a stove?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I nearly always pack a meths stove because I do enjoy a brew. Everything fits into a 400ml mug and weighs about 100g so it's no great hardship and the joy found inside the mug overshadows the weight penalty :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Oh aye, no question that the weight is negligable for a brewing up kit.

Its space and what i can can cook that usually makes me go without
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I almost always take one. Last time I recall not doing so was my Cairngorms Loop ITT because I knew I wouldn't be stopping long enough overnight and I was happy with all the options for grabbing food and drink en route.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Seldom take one.
Don’t see the need.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Same as Stu. All in the 400ml - stove, shield, matches, base, meths, bowl, spork, porage, tea/ovaltine. Can't beat a relaxing brew up in the morning. Gotta be meths so that you're forced to wait and enjoy your surroundings while it bubbles.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

Pretty much always. I'm never in a hurry and stopping for a brew in a scenic or interesting spot is part of the journey for me. Sometimes take it along on day rides too for much the same reasons.
There's something about setting up the stove for a tea or coffee that cannot be found in a flask :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If my intention is to stop on a ride to sleep then the stove comes.
As Stu says the weight/space penalty is negligible but the gain in morale of a hot brew and food is large. I prefer to bivi in the boonies as much as possible and don’t operate well without breakfast.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

For those interested here's a thread from a while back about Stu's 18g HyperStove (TM) as I call it. How many did you make Stu? Bit of a collector's item?

viewtopic.php?t=11584

It includes my attempt at arranging the lightest breakfast kit that I could manage. Unfortunately the photos have gone but worth a read as one of those ridiculous threads that we pushed to the limit (I blame Sean as usual).

(PS. Anyone notice we had 180 guest users yesterday?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FLV

Post by FLV »

Interesting, i dont think ive ever taken one on an itt style ride (not that ive ever been quick),
My next nights out are likely to be 'just a ride' so to speak so I'm certainly more likely to follow suit, i do love a coffee in the morning.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Always take one. Not interested in ITT's so for me the physical and psychological benefits far outway the weight penalty.
Coming from a long distance hiking background where ultralite is everything and cold soaking food commonplace its worth the extra weight of a stove for the look of envy on their faces as I savour my steaming morning coffee. :mrgreen:
Dean

Post by Dean »

It depends on the weather. If I am taking a 3 season sleeping bag I would want some hot pasta before I curl up, if I have my superlight summer quilt then staying cool at night is an issue and the lower the amount of warm food entering my stomach the better.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I started taking one during lockdown rides, due to the lack of cafes and it's just become part of the routine. Stopping for a brew is simply a pleasant thing to do. :-)
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not a foody type and generally survive on one meal a day (unless I'm riding with Mike when the number can increase to 4, 5 or 6)but i do like a brew. I do quite enjoy the challenge of trying to cook a 'meal' with very litte kit though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Priorities.. I always take a mini brew kit. Love a morning coffee or two as the sun comes up. It's just the best time to pause in the day. The only times I've not taken a stove was when racing (ie, two events/trips, that's it). It's not a bulky stove though, a 12g BB meths burner in a 400ml mug. 400ml of hot water cooks tortellini in it's packet pretty well too.
(PS. Anyone notice we had 180 guest users yesterday?)
Wild Camping google search results? :grin:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

If there’s a bothy involved (and its use is intentional), I’ll always have a stove with me - it’s something to do to pass the time.

Any kind of adventure from the house, no stove as I’ll leave after dinner and just roll home for breakfast.

In between that, if it’s a trip where I can guarantee daily meals, like an ITT or a tour then I won’t bother with one, but if there’s a chance of at least a day without civilisation then I’ll definitely have a stove with me. I took one with me the first couple of times I rode/attempted the HT route, but realised I was much faster without.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

If I have space or need for a mug, then the stove will come too a gas canister and stove top can all fit inside (not a fan of the dangly mug).
Usually if its a social or fun trip then I will take it, but if its a trip with a distance/time aim then not bother.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I almost always do, when heading out for a bikepacking trip. I like a brew and also like a hot meal at the end of a long day on the bike.

I do a regular Sunday morning ride round the local hills and we’ll sometimes cook breakfast out, just because we can.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Always. Meths stove in summer, lightweight gas stove in winter. I don't usually rely on buying food in shops/garages as I'm often riding in areas where there's nowhere to buy anything anyway. On the occasions where I can buy stuff, it's usually just top up treats that are too heavy to justify carrying with me all the way.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:19 am I'm not a foody type and generally survive on one meal a day (unless I'm riding with Mike when the number can increase to 4, 5 or 6)but i do like a brew. I do quite enjoy the challenge of trying to cook a 'meal' with very litte kit though.
I recall RTTS and stopping near the nuclear power station; it was like a group of wizards — from a disc world novel — with a brew kit appearing from where there was seemingly no space, then the air filled with meths, and later the smell of instant coffee.

Happy days
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty much always unless I'm doing an overnighter out after tea back before breakfast. That said the morning tea ceremony is part of the fun of overnighters so even on these I'll probably take the stove. I didn't on the YD300 and my caffeine gel plus snickers bar did nothing to endeer me to this bit of TLS wisdom.... Twice on the Highland Trail its been a lifesaver (well not quite) as it allowed me to make a large meal when pubs were either shut or not serving. The stove plus a freeze dried meal weighs a lot less than the equivalent in hydrated cold food.....
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My mug is always on the bike in the right hand stemcell, a 400ml mug is a perfect fit for a standard water bottle and it makes the bottle easier to use on the go. I’ll often take the stove and either some Starbucks Via microground instant or my areopress go. I like to stop and make a brew, it always tastes so much better outdoors. Wish I’d taken it today, 60 miles through the Cotswolds and didn’t pass a cafe or anywhere else for a brew.
Always take a stove if I’m staying out, I can go without breakfast but starting the day without a brew is just uncivilised, I have some standards.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The only time I've not taken a stove is when I'm so ridiculously local that I can take a flask

But for a night away I always have a stove on me. As a minimum a snow peak 450 mug with meths kit inside
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

50/50 for me.
No - if there is a local shop near the bivi spot to buy a beer and a can of coke.
Yes - If no shop for a brew
gairym

Post by gairym »

99% no for me.

I've never once even tasted tea or coffee (and the smell keeps it that way) and so I'll only take a stove for a stealth overnighter when I'm heading off somewhere remote and fancy cooking a nice warm dinner at camp.

Which reminds me, must do that again soon.....