How often do you take a stove?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Re: How often do you take a stove?

Post by Pickers »

Day rides never; if the bags are on the bike though it's every time here. Everything in a 650ml mug as I'm still a heathen gas stove user, but it's a big part of the morning getting going process.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Always on a overnighted , need 2 coffee’s and a small bowl of porridge to start even if it’s only a couple of miles to the nearest fry up , gone onto gas as reg can prove I’m a health and safety hazard with meths (pictures please reg of the table over Cannock)
Chew

Post by Chew »

99% no for me
Same here
If its a winter social, without a pub stop then i'd take one for a hot meal, but generally I cant be bothered
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Generally if I'm doing an ITT then no, otherwise nearly always. Does depend on the ITT and the "otherwise" though. Can't remember a "touring" ride where I didn't.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am I’m a health and safety hazard with meths (pictures please reg of the table over Cannock)
Your wish is my command, Mr Pyromaniac :grin:

You don't get that sort of good clean fun with gas stoves. Well you might try it once I suppose.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:38 am You don't get that sort of good clean fun with gas stoves.
I tell a lie! A little snippet from the Cafe Racer 2018 Winter Event (what a fantastic weekend that was):

"....Scott turned up and it was decided that a brew was a satisfactory addition to the proceedings. All went well until Steve’s gas stove suddenly burst into flames in his hand, but curiously blowing hard on it just seemed to compound the problem :lol:. After we all rudely rejected Steve’s proposed game of pass-the-parcel[-bomb], and moved rapidly in the direction of “away”, he dumped it in the road and we all awaited the inevitable explosion. Strangely it never happened and we all lived to tell the tale".

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:38 am
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am I’m a health and safety hazard with meths (pictures please reg of the table over Cannock)
Your wish is my command, Mr Pyromaniac :grin:

You don't get that sort of good clean fun with gas stoves. Well you might try it once I suppose.

I've had two occasions when the valve in the top of a resealable gas canister has stuck leading to a fireball scenario (and loss of body hair)! Gas may be viewed as a safe option but when it does go wrong it's potentially more serious than a meths spill. On one of the two occasions I was on a canoe camping trip and managed to fling the burning stove/gas cylinder into the loch that I'd been paddling which extinguished the flames but the cylinder continued to vent gas through the faulty valve until it was empty. On the other occasion the fire destroyed the stove (melting the remote cylinder tube)!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Don't start us on stove explosions or Bob and myself will start scaring/amusing everyone with tales of our good old Optimus petrol stoves again :smile: . How anyone could possibly have thought sticking a petrol tank within an inch of a naked flame was a good idea I can't imagine! Madness. Although no doubt someone will stick up for them.

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm Don't start us on stove explosions or Bob and myself will start scaring/amusing everyone with tales of our good old Optimus petrol stoves again :smile: . How anyone could possibly have thought sticking a petrol tank within an inch of a naked flame was a good idea I can't imagine! Madness. Although no doubt someone will stick up for them.
I have an MSR Dragonfly which I really like but am a bit scared of. I've never had a petrol stove mishap thankfully(with the MSR or it's predecessor Coleman Peak 1) but can imagine that would be incrementally more terrifying than gas stove shenanigans! :shock:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pmI have an MSR Dragonfly which I really like but am a bit scared of. I've never had a petrol stove mishap thankfully(with the MSR or it's predecessor Coleman Peak 1) but can imagine that would be incrementally more terrifying than gas stove shenanigans! :shock:
I'm sure there are those of us who remember being in Nant Syddion a few years back when Ian lit his petrol stove in the middle of the room, for it to burst into 3 foot flames while he went to get something out of his bag.
While we raised an eye brow :shock: he just came back and picked it up to take into the other room to get it back under control.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well i took it.
Used it for a dehydrated meal at night and again for first breakfast along with a coffee also.

It was quite nice to have and certainly entertained me for a bit last night. I would have been on sandwiches and flapjacks without it.

I have to say I'm more likely to carry it on shorter rides as the room could have been used for water rather than a backpack maybe.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Nearly always and usually tiny gas stove as i'm inpatient and fits in mug with canister...

I have to have at least 2 strong coffees on waking otherwise i'm just above amoeba on the evolutionary scales (and not too much further up after them...).

Did find some half decent coffee bags recently after trying lots, these if you leave in water and a few good squeezes are really pretty good and pack a punch:

https://www.sportsbarista.com/
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Stove is an essential bit of kit - needed for the morning brew and to reheat the precooked bacon
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Scud wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:54 pmDid find some half decent coffee bags recently after trying lots, these if you leave in water and a few good squeezes are really pretty good and pack a punch:

https://www.sportsbarista.com/
Wow! they have a caffeine hit, Might have to give them a try.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark