E-Bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

E-Bikepacking

Post by mattpage »

Anyone else tried it, or regularly use an e-bike for bikepacking?

psling

Re: E-Bikepacking

Post by psling »

I've not tried an e-bike yet (although I do keep looking at the Hunt Cairn as a possible commuter + bike).

For bikepacking I guess the two main issues would be re-charging and additional weight for lifting over gates, hike-a-bike, etc.. The plus of course is that uphill is more comfortable for those that either want or need that. For the right route that deals with charging and lack of lifting then they're just another bike; most bikes are suitable for bikepacking given the right choice of route :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

not until i am incapable of actually pedalling will i be trying an e- bike and my desire to hike a bike with a loaded e-bike and lift it over a gate is nil

Presumably ok for short local gate free over nighters
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I imagine that recharging options severely limit the choice of routes unless carrying multiple battery packs/. Personally I don't think they should be legal off road . Perhaps an argument could be made for those with a disability.
Isn't part of the joy in bikepacking the sense of acheiment in arriving at some remote location under your own steam?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Caller for Mr Picton.... Is Mr Picton in the building?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Gari

Post by Gari »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 am I imagine that recharging options severely limit the choice of routes unless carrying multiple battery packs/. Personally I don't think they should be legal off road . An argument could be made for those with a disability.
Isn't part of the joy in bikepacking the sense of acheiment in arriving at some remote location under your own steam?
Fixed that for you😡
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Gari wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:02 pm
woodsmith wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 am I imagine that recharging options severely limit the choice of routes unless carrying multiple battery packs/. Personally I don't think they should be legal off road . An argument could be made for those with a disability.
Fixed that for you😡
Fixed what?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Perhaps.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Gari wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 pmPerhaps.
Sorry, but you're not making any sense.
Gari

Post by Gari »

You said “perhaps” a case could be made for the disabled. I removed the word perhaps.
Maybe I should have added “surely”?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Gari wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:24 pm You said “perhaps” a case could be made for the disabled. I removed the word perhaps.
Maybe I should have added “surely”?
Ah, OK. Poor choice of words on my part.
RIP

Post by RIP »

We had an ebike discussion a while ago and the consensus seemed to be a/ people would prefer to be unpowered if they were physically able to manage the rides they wanted to do, and b/ ebikes are a fantastic idea for people not covered by a/. Surely any notions of whether it's a 'proper' ride or achievement unless it's under one's own steam is only for the rider's own judgment and nobody else's. Anyway, it still IS under their own steam for goodness sake - just a little less steam than 'fitter' riders with a bit of help now and then. They're not electric cars!

I'm struggling to think of a reason why ebikes should be 'illegal' off road other than some vague expectation that their owners would be hooning around at 50mph up steep hills and that being somehow a 'bad idea'. I wouldn't view it as bad, I'd just be jealous :smile: .

If anyone wants a good reason to ride one offroad ask my pal Pickers.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Gari

Post by Gari »

I get the worrying about 50mph uphill etc, but certainly on the flat there are probably lots of folks on here that could actually ride through town breaking the speed limit on a normal bike:)
I’m at that point now where I am better on a bike than on foot, as my legs are slowly getting more and more “frail”. Perhaps why I reacted a little defensively re the “perhaps”word, especially in relation to possible illegality. Some self interest for sure☺️
On a less contentious note. I was sat on a bench in a local village here abouta while out for a ride,when an old boy(well maybe 5-6yrs older than me!)came and said Hi. He had seen me riding around and came to see where I was and ask about the gravel bike etc. He was on a Ribble road bike. When he finally went to ride of I saw what I thought was a int gear hub. It turns out he was on an e bike!! Even looking at it I couldn’t tell beyond the hub. Basically it can be set at 3 levels, or not at all, he only ever used it on the steepest hills or uphill riding into a stiff wind at the end of a long ride. It weighs 13kg and rides just like a normal bike when turned off, so he only needs to charge every few rides(unless he uses the assist on a long hilly or windy route. It can also take a piggy back battery, a bit like for an exposure light I guess would be the easiest way to describe it. Maybe not quite yet, beyond maybe a 1 or 2 nighter, I think it’s pretty close to being a feasible option for certainly road touring or off-road bike packing that might use a campsites every few days.
In fairness I’d say that by the time my legs had deteriorated to the point where I would benefit from some assistance, I’d probably be happy to be still touring on minor roads, gravel and/or estate tracks:)
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

My issue isn't with e-bikes as such, quite the reverse. I beleive anything which reduces the number of single occupancy cars on the road can only be a good thing.
My issue with e-bikes on trail is that they could be seen as the thin end of the wedge. Battery technology is leaping forwards and the performance of electricly driven vehicles with it. There are a couple of teens in my village with MX style e-bikes capable of 40mph+ and pulling wheelies. A blanket ban on e-bikes on trail would ensure that anyone riding one there was clearly doing so illegally. You can be sure that hikers and equestrians won't differentiate between the pedal assisted , speed restricted ,legal e-bike and those on hopped-up, derestricted ones.
I agree the acheivment of any given ride is solely for the rider in question.
The US Park service has seen fit to ban e-bikes from its bike trails, perhaps a similar measure could be taken here in view of the heavy use our National Parks see.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Could someone post a link to the previous e-bike thread? I tried searching but could'nt find it. Thanks.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think it probably all starts here (hope you don't mind me dragging it up Rich...)....

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/p ... ?t=13665

RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:39 pm My issue isn't with e-bikes as such, quite the reverse. I beleive anything which reduces the number of single occupancy cars on the road can only be a good thing.
:-bd
The US Park service has seen fit to ban e-bikes from its bike trails.
Interesting.

Gari

Post by Gari »

I can entirely see how that could, in fact is an issue in terms of kids effectively “chipping” e bikes.
But from a personal standpoint it would make it illegal for me to go biking once I get to the point where I can’t manage unassisted. Given the fact that I’m pretty confident that continuing to ride bike has meant I have managed to slow the rate of decline significantly. It’s also the only thing I can really do with any consistency now, having given up ski mountaineering a few years ago, WW and surf kayaking more than 15 years ago. I can still hill walk a little, mainly to photograph in the mountains, but that is getting really difficult these days.
The thought of not being able to cycle anymore cos an e bike is illegal to ride off road, is truly terrifying to me, in terms of consequence. I’m sure pickers probably agrees?!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Those Ribble egr bikes look great. I've been trying to persuade my dad to get one - he's said he'll get one when he is "old"... Currently he's 71 and doing about 15 miles a few times a week.

Main reason is that I want one to commute on!
Gari

Post by Gari »

That’s the bike I referred to a few posts up. They’re pretty cool.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A blanket ban on e-bikes on trail would ensure that anyone riding one there was clearly doing so illegally
Well yes ther eis no arguingthat it would achieve that but the point is whether this is a good idea or bad idea
I pefer to ban the chipping of e-bikes and enforcing that than banning all e-bikes

TBH banning all bikes from the lakes would ensure anyone on a FP was there illegally - seems a tad harsh on those who never ride on FP[and an over reaction to a tiny issue as well] but it would certainly let us know anyone there was doing it illegally

IMHO its just a bike you can ride it responsibly or irresponsibly but that is down to the rider not the bike - same with a car- so tackle the cause - the rider.
psling

Post by psling »

A lot of discussions about e-bikes deteriorate into the 'why' of riding them which then deteriorates further into the almost discriminatory age and (dis)ability debate. The legality of using them off-road is interesting though. Given that the chipped/homemade/overpowered ones are I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) illegal for use on the highway - including PROWs - anyway? Bit like our debates on 'wild camping' - it's illegal in most places England, Wales & N.Ireland anyway.

Matt's op is about their suitability as a bikepacking tool, be good to hear of people's experiences good and bad.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I get the worrying about 50mph uphill etc, but certainly on the flat there are probably lots of folks on here that could actually ride through town breaking the speed limit on a normal bike:)
On a bicycle?

Item 4 https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community ... nd-the-law

I’d like to think you’d get charged with “furious” cycling or something like that.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Surely so long as you stay within range then it’s as suitable as any bike without motor assistance?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm not too worried about yoofs on million watt 'crossers because if they wanted to go fast they could go and get a petrol one for a fraction of the cost and probably the weight too.

As for US parks banning eBikes, they have plenty of parks that don't allow any bikes and every other person is packing an assault rifle so their idea of risk assessment is all messed up.

My main issue with eBikes is the marketing "explore", "go further than you've ever ridden before", and so on when most of them might manage 100km tops in ideal conditions before needing hours to recharge.

I quite fancy one for going to work on however.