Garmin woes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Garmin woes

Post by whitestone »

Not the usual.

Got caught in an absolute deluge yesterday afternoon after my Garmin mount had inverted so the Oregon was upside down. Got home and the unit wouldn't connect to the computer - a message saying "This accessory is not supported". Seems that this message appears following water ingress.

I've had the unit in the airing cupboard overnight and this AM it goes into USB mode, showing the USB symbol on screen, but the unit still doesn't appear on the computer. Other than this the unit works, I just can't get anything on or off it.

Do I continue steady drying or is there something else I can do?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Re: Garmin woes

Post by slarge »

Blow warm air into it? Maybe dry it more thoroughly with it all in bits?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Also try removing the SD card.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Got to be worth taking the batteries out & trying the old- leave it in a jar of rice for a few days with a lid on...
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Also, try a different USB cable.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

aye that is what i would suggest [rice]-or any othr version of thorough drying and some patience to see what happens
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bob. Don't turn it on again. Get loads of fresh rice (properly dry) Tilda Basmati should do nicely :lol: ... Then pop garmim and all the removed bits into it and leave it for a few days.

Try waiting a week then wipe down (blow dry or whatever to removed any tiny dust from the rice) and put together and should all work fine. If not you've possibly fried summat whilst being to 'rushy' and not waiting for proper drying time.

Just my 2 pence :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:08 am aye that is what i would suggest [rice]-or any othr version of thorough drying and some patience to see what happens
Snap... he already said it and possibly someone before that. Convert 'some patience' into 'lots of paticne' though
Boab

Post by Boab »

According to QI, rice doesn't work, and is no better than letting it air dry. Defo don't put it in a sealed box/bag with rice, that's really bad. Also, using rice just results in bits of broken rice, dust, talc, starch or whatever they use during processing these days, getting into the USB ports etc. Give it a couple of days with nothing in it and see what happens...
Last edited by Boab on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's been in the airing cupboard overnight and most of today. I'll leave it there for a day or two.

I suspect there's a short caused by either water or dust/dirt across the data pin. The unit charges via the USB cable and everything else works, files are still there, etc.

One Garmin forum suggests using alcohol to remove the water then let that evaporate. Doesn't say what sort of alcohol, 12yr old Bruachladaidh?, presumably iso-propyl alcohol.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Hate to say this Bob but you can’t rely on this unit again. Send it back to Garmin and pay the £70 for a refurb.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Cat litter is the answer Bob! (Unused of course)

Every day is a school day

https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how ... e-0154799/
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Pop it in a tin of rice pudding.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Get ya rice cook it, make a nice curry. Then go online buy yaself a wahoo, sorted pal :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I had some connection problems on an old 800 that were fixed by proper drying out then WD40 on the mini USB contacts, wiping them off and inserting/moving the connection plug a few times (with cable unconnected). It might have been a bit of corrosion on one of the small contacts. I expect proper switch cleaner would do a better job but 'internet said' WD40 was a safe basic contact cleaner.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Silly question but if the screen has shown signs of life have you tried the reset?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've dried a phone in a box of salt.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 am Silly question but if the screen has shown signs of life have you tried the reset?
There's data on there that I want to keep which a reset will delete. It's the USB connector that's at fault not the firmware.
Mike wrote: Get ya rice cook it, make a nice curry. Then go online buy yaself a wahoo, sorted pal :-bd
Good idea on the curry, not so on the wahoo.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Don't use rice, makes no difference, best thing is cat litter or even better the little packets of silica you get in new shoes and tablets etc, or if anyone has a dehumidifier.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

What Scud said. Plus take apart as much as possible, do not switch on for a week or so. I have always had best results in airing cupboard
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A week in the airing cupboard hasn't improved matters. :cry: A service/repair is in order methinks.