making the wife as comfy as possible on a trip.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

making the wife as comfy as possible on a trip.

Post by ton »

me and the wife have cycle toured for years, but always stay either in hostels or hotels. with this year being as it is, i have coerced her into a couple of cycle camping trips. something she has not done. we camped loads of times in the past with the kids when they were young, but used big comfy airbeds.

so, looking for a sleep system that will keep her comfy and happy. she is 5ft 2''. and sleeps cold.
any idea's greatly appreciated.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: making the wife as comfy as possible on a trip.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any of the quality (read insulated) air mats should do the trick Tony. Exped do 5cm, 7cm and 9cm thick mats - I find the 7cm mats very comfy and warm, just don't over inflate.

I reckon a decent pillow that stays where you put it and doesn't feel like your heads pressed against a cheap football, is perhaps the thing that increases the feeling of comfort more than owt else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Re: making the wife as comfy as possible on a trip.

Post by whitestone »

Get one of the rectangular shaped ones Tony rather than the mummy shaped, easier to retain the pillow. The Exped Synmat often appears at reduced prices - Cath's used hers (actually the mummy shaped Hyperlite) in the Arctic at -16C so should be fine for UK summer. Sleeping bag/quilt - look at your expected overnight temps and knock 5C off and she'll probably* be fine. As Stu says: don't over inflate, I inflate to where the mat won't take any more air (using an Exped Schnozzle bag) then let about 5 seconds' worth out. This then gives the air inside somewhere to move when you kneel/sit/lay on it.

* I take absolutely no responsibility for any discomfort so caused :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry