Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
jameso
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by jameso » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am

Musical mastery, great performances - that kind of thing?

I do like the youtube jukebox, some classic tracks on there where the performance is as great as the music. I can watch them a few times over and appreciate the music more from having seen how it's performed or some subtleties in it. I guess I'll be posting a few Dad songs on here... but interested to see what else comes up.

Realising how effortlessly great Eric Bell is and Phil Lynott's style -
https://youtu.be/wyQ-tScuzwM

And I saw Future Islands on TV I think at NYE a few years ago, was blown away by this guy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Uhf3gM1m0

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:26 am

Perhaps 3 standout gigs for me over the years. I suppose technical musical ability had nothing to do with any of them ... but what shows. Ramones, Cramps and Motorhead.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by In Reverse » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am

I've always been very taken by this, Bobby Hebb had a great voice and he's having a great time here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWyxzmNdJc

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by faustus » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am

This is a session recording so not a gig, but it's an immense cover of a great song. Gives me goosebumps anyway...

Radiohead cover Joy Division's 'Ceremony':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedNya7e8Uc

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

I like this game.

My musical talent starts and ends with pressing play, however, I'm drawn to learning how to play a shovel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
psling
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 am
Location: Forest of Dean

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by psling » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:26 am
Perhaps 3 standout gigs for me over the years. I suppose technical musical ability had nothing to do with any of them ... but what shows. Ramones, Cramps and Motorhead.
I get this ^
I vaguely remember seeing The Who in the early 70s and still get goosebumps at the memory of Moon and Townshend commanding the stage.
When I say vaguely, my memory is one of the problems I have with regard to live performances - there have been a few conversations with friends over the years where I will come out with "I really wish I'd seen such and such live..." and the others will say "you have, we saw them at...." Apparantly we had some really good times :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.

techno
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by techno » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Wait for it: https://youtu.be/IxEIQQkhyeI

Thin Lizzy made me think of this: https://youtu.be/Yp2DvPKh118
Image

User avatar
Wotsits
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by Wotsits » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:44 pm

techno wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:02 pm
Wait for it: https://youtu.be/IxEIQQkhyeI
Brilliant! :lol:
faustus wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am
This is a session recording so not a gig, but it's an immense cover of a great song. Gives me goosebumps anyway...

Radiohead cover Joy Division's 'Ceremony':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedNya7e8Uc
Thats excellent too :cool:

woodsmith
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 am

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by woodsmith » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Monday 23rd Feb 1987 in The Marquee Club, London I saw Maria McKee with her band Lone Justice. It wasn't so much like watching a performance as witnessing a force of nature. I've never seen anyone give so much of themselves on stage and I've never seen anything come close since.

Not from that night but from those days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpzro2IcPI

jameso
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by jameso » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Stuart, your 'seen them live' list is enviable.
My musical talent starts and ends with pressing play, however, I'm drawn to learning how to play a shovel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g

- the talent to make pretty much anything sound good.

That Radiohead Joy Division cover is pretty good, wasn't much into Radiohead but yeah, like that.

Another obvious pick I but Angus Young's playing always amazes me. Solo at ~2.30 here - https://youtu.be/E1PfIX-GQPk?t=154
Not sure that BBC sit-down audience knew what was coming
..or this one - https://youtu.be/s3nEAmt5AZ8?t=260

jameso
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by jameso » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:05 pm

...Maria McKee with her band Lone Justice
New to me - yes, I can see what you mean :-bd

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2753
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by sean_iow » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:36 pm

My most memorable gig is for another reason. It was at the Portsmouth Guildhall and a Bush gig.

I was right down the front and right next to me was a rather attractive blonde lady, although I didn't pay too much attention. The venue was packed and given density of the crowd and and the temperature by the end of the gig i was soaked in sweat, quite a lot of it hers I would say as she was pressed up against me for most of the night. It was only when me and my mate were walking back to the ferry that he said to me 'did you see who was next to you?' Who I said? 'Gwen Stefani' he said. She was going out with the lead singer of Bush at the time.

I assume she often tells people how she spent the gig pressed up against me :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
gairym
Posts: 2764
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chamonix, France (but a Yorkshire lad).

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by gairym » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:49 pm

In Reverse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am
I've always been very taken by this, Bobby Hebb had a great voice and he's having a great time here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWyxzmNdJc
Stunning! Good find.

User avatar
gairym
Posts: 2764
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chamonix, France (but a Yorkshire lad).

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by gairym » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 pm

I think this is an absolutely mind-blowing performance by both Ginger Baker and Tony Allen - two guys at the very top of their game going at it.

https://youtu.be/_gBnyFCCYjo

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by In Reverse » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:05 pm

techno wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:02 pm
Wait for it: https://youtu.be/IxEIQQkhyeI
Quality :grin: :-bd

In a (slightly) similar vein https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDQpwgT0Z8

jameso
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by jameso » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:13 pm

gairym wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:49 pm
In Reverse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am
I've always been very taken by this, Bobby Hebb had a great voice and he's having a great time here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWyxzmNdJc
Stunning! Good find.
That is really good.

User avatar
macinblack
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 am

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by macinblack » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Quite a few but for starters:

The Damned - Nottingham Sandpiper 1979 - A seething cauldron of adrenaline.
Motorhead - De Montfort Hall 1980 - Followed by several days of "What you say?"
UK Subs - Camden Town 1980 - Memorable for the fact that unbeknownst to me, who was slightly pickled and was happily dancing with myself, all the skins had grouped to one side and all the punks on the other. I vaguely remember the brief feeling of space before both sides slammed into each other and kicked seven bells out of each other. When they had had enough, my mates came to retrieve me thinking I was toast but I came out of it without a scratch thinking what a lively bunch these cockerneys are.

User avatar
metalheart
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm
Location: Escocia

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by metalheart » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 pm

This one, despite it being well past his ‘70’s prime, I just love. Didn’t know he could play!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDOPPfAyM

I was always impressed by the space that Gillian and Dave occupied by just two voices and guitars so this impressed me even more (love the amalgam of the two parts):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_n3E8vnAfE

I really wanted to post the video of save me from I want but it’s been deleted. So here’s Annie from guitar moves, I think I’m in love.... 🤷🏼‍♂️
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRPmJx8bYs

I know there’s some old punters on here so I’m someone will enjoy this one :grin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufy3MLZa-AI
Give the dirt a little room.

techno
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by techno » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 pm

metalheart wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 pm
This one, despite it being well past his ‘70’s prime, I just love. Didn’t know he could play!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDOPPfAyM

I was always impressed by the space that Gillian and Dave occupied by just two voices and guitars so this impressed me even more (love the amalgam of the two parts):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_n3E8vnAfE

I really wanted to post the video of save me from I want but it’s been deleted. So here’s Annie from guitar moves, I think I’m in love.... 🤷🏼‍♂️
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRPmJx8bYs

I know there’s some old punters on here so I’m someone will enjoy this one :grin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufy3MLZa-AI
Fantastic thanks, they're All great!
Image

ianfitz
Posts: 3637
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by ianfitz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm

I think the most surprising and impressive gig I've seen was recently. Nitin Sawhney playing the whole of his album Beyond Skin at celtic roots festival in glasgow. its an album I've listened to a lot over the last 20 years.

He seems to be able to play any instrument and has written and composed vast amounts of stunning music. What was particularly amazing was 'the band': Anna Phoebe on violin, Nicki Wells and Eva Stone (YVA) vocalists and Aref Durvesh playing tambla. Each of them are world-class musicians in their own right and this was the last time they played this show after touring it world-wide for 18 months. They were clearly loving it and feeling the emotion of it being a farewell of sorts. I'm not a fan of the world-music genre but Nitin seems to find strands of music from different types from around the world and weave them together effortlessly and create something very special.

They did a 'live' from home session for the PRS lockdown sessions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_ft9-YLVE&t=480s
Image

techno
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by techno » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:31 pm

ianfitz wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm
...They did a 'live' from home session for the PRS lockdown sessions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_ft9-YLVE&t=480s
Thanks I'll check that out.
His album prophecy is one I've listened to regularly since it's release in the early 2000s.
His desert island discs is worth a listen.
Image

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm

UK Subs - Camden Town 1980 - Memorable for the fact that unbeknownst to me, who was slightly pickled and was happily dancing with myself, all the skins had grouped to one side and all the punks on the other. I vaguely remember the brief feeling of space before both sides slammed into each other and kicked seven bells out of each other. When they had had enough, my mates came to retrieve me thinking I was toast but I came out of it without a scratch thinking what a lively bunch these cockerneys are.
I've had stranglehold going round in my head all morning :-bd
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
macinblack
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 am

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by macinblack » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm
UK Subs - Camden Town 1980 - Memorable for the fact that unbeknownst to me, who was slightly pickled and was happily dancing with myself, all the skins had grouped to one side and all the punks on the other. I vaguely remember the brief feeling of space before both sides slammed into each other and kicked seven bells out of each other. When they had had enough, my mates came to retrieve me thinking I was toast but I came out of it without a scratch thinking what a lively bunch these cockerneys are.
I've had stranglehold going round in my head all morning :-bd
Aye Stu - Stranglehold is a proper earworm - Though Warhead was more appropriate on that night.

User avatar
gairym
Posts: 2764
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chamonix, France (but a Yorkshire lad).

Re: Inspired by 'What you listening to..' -

Post by gairym » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm

techno wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:31 pm
ianfitz wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm
...They did a 'live' from home session for the PRS lockdown sessions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_ft9-YLVE&t=480s
Thanks I'll check that out.
His album prophecy is one I've listened to regularly since it's release in the early 2000s.
His desert island discs is worth a listen.
Thanks, I'll be checking both of those out whilst in the workshop.....

Good stuff.

Post Reply