SPD cleats, standard?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

SPD cleats, standard?

Post by ootini »

Are all shimano SPD cleats compatible with all SPD style pedals? I need to replace the cleats on my shoes, but now realise I've no idea what variant to use.
ScotRoutes

Re: SPD cleats, standard?

Post by ScotRoutes »

"SPD Style"? What do you mean by this? Shimano cleats are not compatible with Crank Bros for instance.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ah fair point. I mean shimano spd pedals, and clones with similar fittings like Love Mud Jekylls, and WellGo for example
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In that case, probably :grin:

I had some Ritchey "SPD" pedals that worked fine with Shimano cleats. Strangely enough, the opposite wasn't true.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

“SPD” is the standard, so if you’ve got SPD pedals and SPD cleats (regardless of if either is shimano) you’ll be grand. Just be cautious because SPD-SL is also a standard. But a different one. :lol:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

There are also two types of Shimano SPD cleats ,STD (black) and a commuter version (silver) .
The STD version engages firmly and requires a larger arc to release,better for MTB / aggressive / sport type riding.
The commuter version,feels looser,it requires a small arc to release and it can also be released with an upward pull .
Personally I don't recommend the commuter version once you have become used to SPD cleats, they will release when climbing,or accelerating from standstill into traffic,or bunny hopping pot holes kerbs,rocks,ruts etc..... surprisingly scary when you don't expect it!
Insanity over vanity