Re: Pillows

Post by sean_iow »

Someone had beaten us to that :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47nzyBrENM
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

As on page 1 I've tried many as it is critical to get one that suits yourself.

Allen recommended me one of these Vango Deep Sleep inflatable pillows
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... _color=464

And it's by far the best I've found, I don't over inflate it and I do put it inside a fleecy pillow case too but I can get at least 2 lots of 3 hour sleep per bivi night (dam that 52 year old bladder) and for me that's loads more sleep and rest than I ever got on the Exped and others

It's a bit heavier, a bit bulkier, but a better night's sleep gives me far more energy to carry these extra few grams and bit of bulk.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm Someone had beaten us to that :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47nzyBrENM
Oooh yes I'd forgotten that! I like the staged "crashes" to prove how effective it is...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 pm Allen recommended me one of these Vango Deep Sleep inflatable pillows
Hmm, I know those Reigns are good but never tried one as a pillow :wink: .

Maybe one of these instead :wink: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15922072/v ... w-15922072

Oh look - GoOutdoors again :smile: £16, 180/200g.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought one of those Klymit ones after I'd seen Stu recommend them on here and I can vouch for the fact that they work well when wrapped in a Buff. Now that my pillow guru has moved onto something else that he feels is even better though I'm going to have to look into an upgrade. :lol: On a serious note getting a dedicated pillow was a game changer for me after years of making do with spare clothes rolled up or stuffed in a dry bag.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Think mine is a Sea2Summit one. Has improved my sleep muchos.

I've spent too many nights sliding off silnylon stuff sacks and Bob's note about ropes had me shuddering from memories. Think the only reason I managed to sleep on a rope in those days was with the aid of a lot of cheap french red.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Does anyone know of a pillow that is thicker than the usual offerings. I am a side sleeper with a neck problem and need to keep my neck in line with my spine. I don't mind inflatables at all. Thanks.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:05 am Does anyone know of a pillow that is thicker than the usual offerings. I am a side sleeper with a neck problem and need to keep my neck in line with my spine. I don't mind inflatables at all. Thanks.
What sort of depth are you after Ray? I know the Sea to Summit pillows are in two sizes - regular Inflated Dimensions: 34 x 24 x 11cm and large Inflated dimensions: 42 x 30 x 13cm
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone know of a pillow that is thicker than the usual offerings.
Ray, the Klymit Kush is designed to be folded, when you fold it into 3, it's much taller / thicker than anything else I've found. Not expensive either and there's even a hole for your ear :-bd

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Klymi ... dBEALw_wcB
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:40 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 pm Allen recommended me one of these Vango Deep Sleep inflatable pillows
Hmm, I know those Reigns are good but never tried one as a pillow :wink: .

Maybe one of these instead :wink: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15922072/v ... w-15922072

Oh look - GoOutdoors again :smile: £16, 180/200g.
Note to self, re check your web link before carrying on with other stuff.

Cheers Reg, yes that's the correct pillow, from Go Outdoors or I got mine from Millets.
Boab

Post by Boab »

What do folks make of these Cocoon Down Travel Pillows for £25...? Another option to add to the list...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Now that looks nice. 83g - not too bad. Hmmm.....

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It strikes me that a down filled pillow that compresses well for carrying will also tend to compress too much under your head when in pillow mode so what we need is a hybrid with an inflatable core for support with an outer layer of down and fabric to add that authentic pillow feel. :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:13 pm It strikes me that a down filled pillow that compresses well for carrying will also tend to compress too much under your head when in pillow mode so what we need is a hybrid with an inflatable core for support with an outer layer of down and fabric to add that authentic pillow feel. :cool:
If it is under your sleeping bag hood then you already have a layer of down. :ugeek:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:16 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:13 pm It strikes me that a down filled pillow that compresses well for carrying will also tend to compress too much under your head when in pillow mode so what we need is a hybrid with an inflatable core for support with an outer layer of down and fabric to add that authentic pillow feel. :cool:
If it is under your sleeping bag hood then you already have a layer of down. :ugeek:
You mean turn the hood inside out to trap the inflatable pillow and prevent it wandering off and doing it's own thing? Sounds good and isn't something I'd thought of. Maybe I don't need a new pillow after all! :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:05 am Does anyone know of a pillow that is thicker than the usual offerings. I am a side sleeper with a neck problem and need to keep my neck in line with my spine. I don't mind inflatables at all. Thanks.
I use a Mammute inflatable pillow and just came across a second one I forgot I'd bought so I'm going to try using velcro to hold them together. Bottom one hard to get height and top one soft for comfort. Might have to velcro them to the sleep mat too though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If it is under your sleeping bag hood then you already have a layer of down.
Cannot see how as I never ever use down
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I have tried loads of different pillows over the years and have never found any that are comfortable until I bought a Thermarest Compressible. This feels like a proper pillow and I sleep really well using it. The only downside is that it is over 200g and doesn't pack down as small as an inflatable one. I believe that you should go as lightweight as you can but balance a certain degree of comfort. Sleep is important when doing activities such as bikepacking and I think the weight penalty is worth it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Just bought one of the Sea to Summit Premium ones from my local outdoor shop. Regular (the smaller of the two) size. Was unsure about an inflatable pillow, but the premium one has a very thin bit of cushioning on it, which seems worth the weight penalty over the ultralight one. It's 84g total and would probably fit easily inside a coke can. Lying on my bed with it under my head for 5 seconds was enough to convince me that this will be a definite improvement over a dry bag of spare clothes, but only time will tell.

I sewed a pocket into the hood of my summer bag out of lightweight fleece lining material to keep it in place. The bag is stitch-through construction so I followed the stitching and it should have minimal effect on the insulation. I don't know why more bags don't come with this.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't know why more bags don't come with this.
A pillow pocket in the hood? Possibly because it'll stop you making full use of the hood?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In warmer weather I just slip my Exped pillow into the hood of my sleeping bag. It tends to stay put.

When it's colder, I prefer to have the hood up around my head and there isn't then space for a pillow.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:46 pm
I don't know why more bags don't come with this.
A pillow pocket in the hood? Possibly because it'll stop you making full use of the hood?
I don't see how? Without a pillow in it, it's just an extra layer of fabric.

Maybe I'm overstating its usefulness anyway.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, I meant 'with the pillow in place'. Obviously without, it's just a better insulated hood :wink:
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

Just read on the other forum about the guy who buys a loaf of bread in the evening to use as a pillow. In the morning he proceeds to chop and form his pillow into the brekkie sandwiches with a few spare left for the day ahead. Come the evening hours he visits local bakery looking for his next headrest. :smile:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:22 am
No, I meant 'with the pillow in place'. Obviously without, it's just a better insulated hood :wink:
Ah I see what you mean. Yeah, if you're following my logic, a hood with no insulation and just a pocket for the pillow would make more sense. But unsurprising that kit manufacturers aren't following my logic, probably because they actually want to sell stuff :wink: