Do I need an Exposure (6 pack Race or Diablo)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Do I need an Exposure (6 pack Race or Diablo)

Post by redefined_cycles »

After the recent post in 'This is Bargain Bloody ek' thread... I'm thinking I could do with an Exposure and upgrade from the Lumenator (thanks everyone for the suggestions from 3 years ago... its been marvellous) to save about 200g of weight as well as pack space.

But am I being thick and just 'spendy'... Main thing is for the DD but otherwise the Lumenator would do me most applications as I'm never away from hime for more than a coupkd of days. Another advantage would be that I could charge the Exposure via the usb adaptor cable on the fly/mid route etc.

I realise that by the time thoughts come in, the deals might be go... But so be it as I've limited funds anyway and dont wish to take out a Paypal Loan :-bd

Thanks for your kindness :lol: (except for you that put the link up saying they have on a massive discount! :smile: )
redefined_cycles

Re: Do I need an Exposure (6 pack Race or Diablo)

Oh... and is there a massive difference over the mk8 over the cheaper mark7 (in terms of the 6pack)...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm selling my hope wheels in the hope (aha) that it will partially pay for a 6 pack.

Yes, you do need one. Get the best you can and you wont look back.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My Mk2 Sixpack is still going strong, its only let me down once (inaugural BB300 in Storm Calum when everything electrical went haywire). Compared to the new ones it is "only" 1850 lumens, but for the BB style events I only ever run it on "low" which is 800 lumens. Should I need to replace it I'd probably have a look at run time over outright lumen output.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

All Exposure lights have the same maximum run time of 36 hours, the difference is the bigger the light the brighter the 36 hour setting will be.

For bikepacking my personal opinion is that a Toro is the sweet spot for brightness/size/weight.

Paired with a Joystick on the helmet for technical descents it's all the light you need. The 36 hr setting is bright enough for riding with on it's own on most terrain.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While Exposure lights are undoubtedly very good and the service and warranty also (generally) good, the actual answer to the question is, no.

You'd like one and that alone is enough to make you believe that you might need one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:57 pm While Exposure lights are undoubtedly very good and the service and warranty also (generally) good, the actual answer to the question is, no.

You'd like one and that alone is enough to make you believe that you might need one.
I really, really, really like you :grin: :smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have lots of good lights. I bought a Diabolo. I have found the compactness very convincing, convenient etc. I almost always ride with a Duabolo and/or joystick now.

Stu's right about need.

I've not got one but I think the 6 pack would be too big and negate the light and compact advantages of the smaller lights. Most I'd go to would be a Toro.

All just IMO :cool:
Dean

Post by Dean »

If you want a Diablo these ebay auctions normally go for about £120.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... e&_sacat=0
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like they've been "clever" with their pricing - very similar to what each light costs via Chainreaction :wink: For example a Diablo Mk11 is £172 at CRC and in the clearance.

Depending on what you are doing it's surprising what you can get away with - I did the HT550 with just a Joystick and didn't get through a single charge, there was about 50% charge left but apart from the last night where I rode through I didn't do much night riding, maybe an hour or so, then again Scotland in midsummer doesn't get that dark. A lot of the use was on low (I think it was the 24hr programme) and cycled through to medium for faster bits. Also if your lights are too bright I find that there's a lot of glare especially when things are damp.

For something like the DD I'd be tempted to go with a dynamo system with one of the B&M road lights then augment that with a helmet mounted Joystick when off-road.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I usea joystick with a MTB external battery pack or i use a sinewave becon dynamo light* + joystick but no external battery - i can charge it from the dynamo power pack if required.
IMHO you dont need a brightlight in the middle of nowhere as your eyes adapt to less light and the top setting still seems bright

it would not be my choice if i wanted to do a technicall downhll section fast but bikepacking i tend to just opt for not crashing rather than thrills.

* dynamos are great for road as you tend to keep a constant speed /dont go from fast to slow often but petty poor off road as my usual response to a technical section is to slow down which instantly means less light - the beacon runs from an external battery [ charging it at the sametime] so the output is constant - somewhat spendy though
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I keep wanting one of the bigger Exposure lights, but the Magicshine light I have is plenty sufficient when paired with a Joystick helmet light. Also, as it shows no sign of dying yet, I just can't justify it.
May satan walk with you
composite

Post by composite »

I really like my Diablo. I use it as a helmet light in conjunction with the Exposure Revo dynamo light on the bars. I also use it as a bar light for summer evening rides when I'm expecting to get back early enough not to need lights but have one with me just in case.

Their customer service is vaguely exciting. For example, I thought I wasn't getting as long run times as I used to and just emailed them to ask about it. They told me to send it in and they would give it a once over to check it out. They responded that their tests showed run time was fine. After some more discussion, we came to the conclusion that I didn't have it in the mode I thought I did. They posted it back at their expense which I felt was a nice touch as they would have been well within their rights to ask me to pay for the return. I have broken the Revo twice as well and both times they fixed it very quickly because I needed it back for rides. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Shaf, be aware that these lights are really not so good on the road. The beam is very flood and you'll blind car drivers. They're great off road but I think you might be planning on doing road riding with them

You can angle down and to the kerb but still not great and faff for when you do ride off road

I'm still waiting for them stzvo light to come out. Currently running a strada, diablo and joystick. Would like a toro but strada seems pretty good in the main, even off road. I really like having the remote
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m a big fan of dynamo lighting, it’s always there and no worries about run time, if you’re considering a Diablo then if you have a dynamo I’d seriously consider the sinewave beacon, it’s a charger for usb stuff, when not doing lightning duty and you can plug in a usb battery to support it if you’re not going fast enough to supply full flicker free lighting. Expensive? Not really considering the money I ‘saved’ on cheaper options to achieve less.

The only advantage of Exposure stuff is when helmet mounted it lights up stuff where you’re looking.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

benp1 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 pm Shaf, be aware that these lights are really not so good on the road. The beam is very flood and you'll blind car drivers. They're great off road but I think you might be planning on doing road riding with them

You can angle down and to the kerb but still not great and faff for when you do ride off road

I'm still waiting for them stzvo light to come out. Currently running a strada, diablo and joystick. Would like a toro but strada seems pretty good in the main, even off road. I really like having the remote
Yeah... point taken and I wasn't thinking for the road as that would be going with a more driver friendly version...

I think for the mo, will keep running my Nitecores (x 2 of and 1 I can charge via usb with removable battery) and the Lumenator. Really gonna get my moneys worth out of that thing it would seem... :smile:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I've had plenty of experience with all the different exposure lights over the years.

I love the Strata a d fund the beam fine off road as much on on. Then combined with either Joystick or Diablo for when you need to see exactly where you're looking.

On the helmet even a small increase in weight can be felt, so I'd avoid extra battery packs where possible.

Do you need a six pack? Unless you need really long battery life then no. The Maxx-D is plenty bright enough, even models below that are.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 pm

For bikepacking my personal opinion is that a Toro is the sweet spot for brightness/size/weight.

I've just done a comparison of the light emitted from a 6pack vs toro, seams pretty good. I didn't even consider this light before this post.
Alec

Post by Alec »

I have a joystick and a maxx d that i use fro trail centre night riding, we also have a toro but not used it yet. When i was getting the maxx d I wanted the six pack as it gavw out the most light but went with the maxx d due to beam pattern.
Its worth having a good look on their website on the comparison tool as the maxx d looked to have a much more flood type beam where as there was a hotspot in the centre of the sixpack which i think would be a bit too reflecting off wet rock.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maxx-D and a (now discontinued) Equinox are my two. I have one of the small additional batteries for the latter. In darkest winter, I'll use both, with the Equinox on my helmet saved for the nadgier bits. At other times of year I just take the Equinox as a bar-mounted , get-me-home light.

Oh - I have a Revo too but that lives on the Amazon.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Dean wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:03 pm If you want a Diablo these ebay auctions normally go for about £120.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... e&_sacat=0
Thanks for that tip, snagged one for £110 last night :-bd