How to keep your feet dry in the summer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

How to keep your feet dry in the summer

Post by JohnClimber »

I've the clothing sorted not to guarantee I keep dry and breathable on summer rainy rides.

But my feet need help to catch up.

I have normal cycling shoes, I've tried good quality over shoes, and (older) sealskin socks but still my shoe outer's get wet and my older sealskins don't work as well, or maybe it's sweat inside I can't tell.

So please let me know how you keep your feet warm and dry in your normal cycling shoes?

Or which summer "waterporoof" shoes don't let any water in though the tops?
GregMay

Re: How to keep your feet dry in the summer

Post by GregMay »

I don't.... don't bother in winter either. Warm and wet works for me.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Also don't bother here for off-road rides. Stay warm just using merino wool socks.

But for road, it can be easier and as stupid as they might look, velotoze can work if the right style and used right.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don’t bother, merino socks are fine for keeping toes mostly warm in wet, summer conditions.

Waterproof socks come out on the second day to stop lost of the saturation from your footwear coming through, quite the fan of DEX Shell socks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As above. I mostly just accept wet feet. I'll carry dry socks for night wear but keep them dry and just put the wet ones back on again in the morning.

If it's just one night away, GoreTex liners can work to keep your dry socks dry (enough) inside wet shoes. They can work for multi-day stuff too if you can get your wet socks to dry out.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Whatever the season I just try to not get wet feet. Even when hike a biking I always try to avoid getting wet. However we all know its not possible so as said above merino socks are work and a spare pair for getting changed into during camp.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Pretty sure its sweat that makes my sealskinz wet as the inside is often damp and the outside dry or at least dryer

As noted I think you have to just go for warm once wet off road or wear some winter boots - but they are too warm IME
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well I hate wet feet. On a trip a couple of years ago I caught an hour of rain on the first day which soaked my feet. Socks didn't dry overnight and the whole of the next day and the next, in roasting sunshine didn't dry them out and it was horrible. It also wrecks your feet....

You need dexshells - way better than sealskinz and they do thin through to thick versions.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

At the last winter event, an extreme example granted, I tried Dexshell socks inside Shimano gortex boots. The final layer was a set of Rab gaiters, my feet were wetter than an otters pocket. Like many others I’ve decided that wool socks are the way forward, it just seem practically impossible to keep the feet dry so aim for comfortable, I’ve found the sealskins etc unpleasantly dank the following morning, at least with a decent wool sock you can give them a decent wringing out.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ton

Post by ton »

warm and wet here too.

tried for years to keep my feet dry, and spent a fortune doing so. it is impossible.

no i just keep em as warm as possible.

i use these year round now. they work at keeping my feet warm and comfy but still damp in rain.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/p/M- ... II-WP.html
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Warm and wet also (this applies to all “waterproof” kit, but especially feet). The key to making this work is having multiple pairs of socks.

If weather is meant to be dry I’ll take an extra pair to change into in the tent at night, and keep them on the next morning, while letting the others air out a little on breaks (or strapped to a bag if it’s dry enough).

If it’s to forecast be reasonably wet I do the same rotation, but have a pair of “bed socks” too, which only get used when finally tucking up inside my quilt. The other pair get changed each day.

Finally, if it’s to be wet every day, then I’ll just bring two pairs again (with one reserved for only bed) because there’s no point carrying two pairs of wet socks. In this case I’ll opt for dexshells or a thicker wool sock that’s warm enough when moving while wet. Usually I don’t go out if there’s multiple days of rain forecast though :roll:
javatime

Post by javatime »

Ex army goretex bootliners. I find that they fit inside normally sized SPD shoes. The best £7.50 I have spent, on my second pair in 10 years, and that is daily commuting too.
cfritze

Post by cfritze »

Summer and winter, on long rides I wear thin merino toe socks and a thick wool outer sock in shoes that drain well. Comfortable feet in most all conditions. In steady rain my feet themselves stays pretty dry.