Araf "Trigonnée 2020"

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Araf "Trigonnée 2020"

Post by techno »

Looks like a lark:
"Trigonneuring— Collect at many trig points in a single ride within in 24 Hours."

https://medium.com/arafcc/araf-trigonn% ... e88f555daa
sean_iow

Re: Araf "Trigonnée 2020"

Post by sean_iow »

I did something similar locally a while back, rode as close I could get to every one on the Island.

This made me smile

half the challenge as they are not always easy to find and they are not always defined on maps

I've never seen one that wasn't on the map, as they are partnered with a mapping app perhaps they need better maps :grin: The biggest problem for me locally was access, probably 30% or more are on private land with no right of way to them and most of the ones I could get to involved cheeky riding on footpaths or open-access land. For my ride I only got as close as I could to those on private land.

Somewhere with more access it will be a good day out. I managed to get to 23 in under 12 hours, the pictures on my Strava shows the access difficulties, if there's a picture of a hedge it's because the trig point is somewhere beyond in a field of crop or on an army firing range :grin:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2552161281
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm slightly disappointed that I can't see any mention of keeping to legal RoW. Sadly for many of us outside of Scotland (yes, you Colin) the number of trig points with a legal (on a bike) RoW to them is very limited.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:15 pm I did something similar locally a while back, rode as close I could get to every one on the Island.

This made me smile

half the challenge as they are not always easy to find and they are not always defined on maps

I've never seen one that wasn't on the map, as they are partnered with a mapping app perhaps they need better maps :grin: The biggest problem for me locally was access, probably 30% or more are on private land with no right of way to them and most of the ones I could get to involved cheeky riding on footpaths or open-access land. For my ride I only got as close as I could to those on private land.

Somewhere with more access it will be a good day out. I managed to get to 23 in under 12 hours, the pictures on my Strava shows the access difficulties, if there's a picture of a hedge it's because the trig point is somewhere beyond in a field of crop or on an army firing range :grin:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2552161281
23 on the IOW, crikey. Are they all pillars or are some FBMs etc?

Here's a handy resource for tracking down your local points too:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/le ... n-stations

"The complete trig archive (including destroyed stations) is available to download as a CSV file (in a zipped archive).
The Retriangulation of Great Britain (1935-1962) was responsible for the development of triangulation stations especially the familiar trig pillar. A copy of the definitive history of the retriangulation - "The History of the Retriangulation of Great Britain 1935-1962" is available to download"

Yells: "Reg!!"
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Fully legal, for the whole of the Island there is only 1 and that's right next to a road on Ventnor down. That's 1 out of 23 we have here. There's a couple where a short walk on a footpath will get you there.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:28 pm I'm slightly disappointed that I can't see any mention of keeping to legal RoW. Sadly for many of us outside of Scotland (yes, you Colin) the number of trig points with a legal (on a bike) RoW to them is very limited.
Aye but most in Scotland require rock climbing to access :lol:
I reckon there is about a dozen or so within a 20 mile radius of here so might give that a go at some point.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

techno wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:36 pm 23 on the IOW, crikey. Are they all pillars or are some FBMs etc?
They're all pillars. The Island is very up-and-down so they had to have a large number to be able to have enough coverage for surveying. They also show how the Island has changed since then. There is one in the middle of Brighstone Forest from which you can only see trees :grin: But it's a commercial forest, I assume planted after the war, so when the pillar was constructed there would have been a good view.

I visited 24 sites on my ride but the one by the one at the Tennyson Monument had been demolished by the Council :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm Aye but most in Scotland require rock climbing to access :lol:
The one at Little Ouse, Cambridgeshire is below sea level :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

techno wrote: Yells: "Reg!!"
"Present, Sir!" Yep ta, read it :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scud

Post by Scud »

Was interested having googled it to find we have 417 in Norfolk, clearly they don't always place them at high points....
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:52 pm
techno wrote: Yells: "Reg!!"
"Present, Sir!" Yep ta, read it :grin: .
:lol: :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Scud wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 pm Was interested having googled it to find we have 417 in Norfolk, clearly they don't always place them at high points....
If they did you wouldn't have any :lol: They just needed a reasonable field of view and to be able to see 2 other trig points.

I've always been fascinated by them since I was a child and even more impressed once I found out the effort required to construct them. The readings were done at night, taking multiple readings each time. Having seen the locations of some in Scotland/Wales and considering the kit they had, spending a night out taking readings was no small undertaking.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On a related note, does anyone get excited* when they find an OS height mark carved into a building, wall etc? Many round these parts can be found on the corner stones of barns.

*is that too strong a word?
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:01 pm On a related note, does anyone get excited* when they find an OS height mark carved into a building, wall etc? Many round these parts can be found on the corner stones of barns.

*is that too strong a word?
Perfectly normal :wink: I’m the same with old CTC plaques etc oh and I love an old stone mile marker as well....perfectly normal :???:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's one on the farm, well not any longer, it was rented land and my brother decided not to carry on the rent. No pillar, just the brass triangulation platform set into the base rock so quite easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Just thought I'd see if there was anything on Geograph. Seems the plate is no longer there - https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3121565, all that remains is one of the bolts.

Bench marks - one of the barns on the farm has one. Quite hard to spot especially if moss or ivy has grown over it. See Sean's tale of looking for one on the IoW.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

If you have an account with OS Maps you can login to the website, click 'Places' and there are tick boxes for trig points and benchmarks as overlays on the map.
techno

Post by techno »

mikejd wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 pm If you have an account with OS Maps you can login to the website, click 'Places' and there are tick boxes for trig points and benchmarks as overlays on the map.
Brilliant. Thanks.