YD300

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

YD300

Post by Escape Goat »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFgJiy ... gSRkHj280k

Who else is massively behind on any type of long distance riding.... most time spend in the saddle this year is 7 hours. By now I was supposed to have bagged a few 24 hour rides...
In Reverse

Re: YD300

Post by In Reverse »

I'll be going but I doubt I'll be setting any records. :lol:

Will try to get out for a 200km ride in July but otherwise I'm relying on baseline fitness. :shock:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm I'll be going but I doubt I'll be setting any records. :lol:

Will try to get out for a 200km ride in July but otherwise I'm relying on baseline fitness. :shock:
You reckon basline fitness would get one through The Dales Divide too :smile:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm glad I'm not the only one considering doing this on little more than base...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm in but gawd knows how I'll do. Only did my first 100km ride of the year a couple of weeks ago, normally I'd have done a 100 miler by February and several longer rides by now.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 pm
In Reverse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm I'll be going but I doubt I'll be setting any records. :lol:

You reckon basline fitness would get one through The Dales Divide too :smile:
I think doing them back to back might be a struggle.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 pm I'm glad I'm not the only one considering doing this on little more than base...
So I must be super duper stupid having confimed eith Chris E that I'll be attempting the Dales Divide :sad: (although I did notice a DK and AB in the initials of the other confirmations on his email. Surely there can't be more than 1 of each of them initials in the UK that'd attempt such a thing :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm going to pass on the Dales Divide - it's WRT weekend.
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 am I'm going to pass on the Dales Divide - it's WRT weekend.
:-bd

I'm double thinking dd too. Probably still a bit too tough for me at the mo!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yd300 for me, though i was considering the 200 mile rd route but then realised i prefer the trails :lol:
See u there :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yd300 for me, though i was considering the 200 mile rd route but then realised i prefer the trails :lol:
See u there :-bd
I thought you'd be attending Rich's Bike Fest?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Also signed up for the YD300
Understandable, but the none-riding social stuff is what makes these events special.
The like minded people, the pre- and post-ride banter.

Would have done the DD, but would rather do WRT (if it happens)
Last edited by Asposium on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oh well, logisitcs would have been too much hassle for me and entries closed. I may do an 'ITT' of the '2016 200 route at some point as I always thought that was the nicest of the 200's (i.e. the least amount of climbing!)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Put my name down ages ago stu, prob now is all the weekends are clashing. Something has to give :wink: oh and ill do more riding in the dales than the lakes that weekend
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 pm Oh well, logisitcs would have been too much hassle for me and entries closed. I may do an 'ITT' of the '2016 200 route at some point as I always thought that was the nicest of the 200's (i.e. the least amount of climbing!)
Not a bad one that Phil but if it's dry there's not much water between Feizor and the Moorcock Inn or at least be prepared to filter what you do come across.

Cath bivvied up on Ann Clifford's Highway and there was a massive storm overnight so all the becks that the evening before I'd crossed nearly dryshod were waist deep torrents in the morning :shock: The road into Hawes was flooded to BB height!

I remember dropping down to Kidstones and grabbing a mouthful of jelly babies which propelled me down the dale. Then heading up from Rylstone I got the dreaded sugar crash and it was a bit of a struggle from there to the end :lol:
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 pm Oh well, logisitcs would have been too much hassle for me and entries closed. I may do an 'ITT' of the '2016 200 route at some point as I always thought that was the nicest of the 200's (i.e. the least amount of climbing!)
Not a bad one that Phil but if it's dry there's not much water between Feizor and the Moorcock Inn or at least be prepared to filter what you do come across.

Cath bivvied up on Ann Clifford's Highway and there was a massive storm overnight so all the becks that the evening before I'd crossed nearly dryshod were waist deep torrents in the morning :shock: The road into Hawes was flooded to BB height!

I remember dropping down to Kidstones and grabbing a mouthful of jelly babies which propelled me down the dale. Then heading up from Rylstone I got the dreaded sugar crash and it was a bit of a struggle from there to the end :lol:
Bob.. Am I right in thinking that you once compared YD200 and 300 with the Dales Divide and said the DD was the safer option in terms of gnarly stuff and riding on the edge (ridges etc)...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’ve done YD300 and DD
Some sections of the YD300 were interesting, especially in the dark.
All of DD was rideable, event when half asleep; did the last 20miles with no front light, that was interesting
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Possibly Shaf. Not done the DD (was going to do it at Easter) but have done or ridden around most of the route and it's non-technical, in fact I think the one really tech bit dropping through the crags at Scugdale in the NYM isn't in this year's route.

The YD200 (the MTB version) changed every year so hard to say what ground it might cover. This year it's a road ride.

The YD300 has one technical section of about 300m (Strava segment - https://www.strava.com/segments/6189412), I "lost" 3 minutes by walking much of it when compared to the fastest on that year's YD300. There's a few other short rocky sections but they are typically only a few metres long. There's not much riding on ridges or along hillsides - it's mostly up or down! :lol:
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 pm I’ve done YD300 and DD
Some sections of the YD300 were interesting, especially in the dark.
All of DD was rideable, event when half asleep; did the last 20miles with no front light, that was interesting
You've brought me one step closer to being firmly committed :smile: you sure its not a bit boring (not that its gonna put me off as such :smile: )
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Was far from boring.
Some of the views are outstanding
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've ridden most of the YD300 and all of the DD. The YD300 has more technical sections.

Shaf, do the DD. Both routes are good but there was something special about starting on one side of the country, riding across to the other side and then back again. The section through the North York Moors was really good.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 pm Was far from boring.
Some of the views are outstanding
Thanks...
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:36 pm I've ridden most of the YD300 and all of the DD. The YD300 has more technical sections.

Shaf, do the DD. Both routes are good but there was something special about starting on one side of the country, riding across to the other side and then back again. The section through the North York Moors was really good.
and thanks. Besides, I've some unfinished business with the Way of the Roses (from Scarborough or Bridlington to Lancaster) so this will make up for it and being on quite roads and off road makes it that much more special. Best keep/get training then...

@escape goat I do hope you heard what Asposium and Sean just said... lets work on them visas :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I may be on the Dales Divide... What am I playing at?
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm I may be on the Dales Divide... What am I playing at?
Sorted then... I'll carry the Ginger Beer :-bd