What are you listening to now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

What are you listening to now?

Post by GregMay »

Sitting on the couch marking kids homework while blasting The Sisters of Mercy on the speakers while my wife does yoga. Made me think, what music do people on here like to hear?

Tonights selection has segwayed form Skinny Puppy, Bahaus and now TSoM. Not my normal fare, tends to be a lot more electro than anything, but it fits my current mood - or rather the mood I'd have been while I was a teenager answering similar questions.

So what about you lot?
Richpips

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Richpips »

Bit of a mix, been listening to a family created playlist this evening.

Slowthai, Unthanks, Marteria, Rufus Wainwright, Public Enemy were the last 5 artists.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Earlier today, Thievery Corporation ‘Richest Man in Babylon’

Currently, Barry Godin ‘packing in Scotland :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh my tastes are somewhat eclectic, so today I've had The Transplants, Clutch,, The Sweet, Cult and Buddy Holly to name a few but right now I'm listening to the battle of the snoring dogs in stereo*.

Might be DK tomorrow and maybe some Johnny Cash.

* actual snoring dogs, not some sh1te band.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Switching between Radio 3, 6 music, planet rock and absolute rock. Occasional move to classic FM if they have something decent on.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Today it's been Fields of the Nephilim, Massive Attack, Moby and Royksopp.

SoM and Bauhaus would be regulars. I've got an Amazon Prime free trial so I'm listening on prime music whist I work, I started with the Nephilim but after that just went were the mood took me or Prime suggested. Not heard any Royksopp before this afternoon but suited my mood.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Gari

Post by Gari »

Stanton Moore and Benny Greb have been this evenings fare. Art Pepper currently as I need something soothing having spent the last hour trying to (unsuccessfully) order a new frameset😡
Bloody technology 🙄
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

So far this evening:

Revenge
Alpdruck
Teitenblood
YounA

All brain-scrambling stuff.

Now listening to Eden in Reverse on Bandcamp musing on whether I am going to hit the button for some Post BM prog.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Blimey - Sisters of Mercy - somewhere I have some first edition vinyl of theirs - I was quite into them in the 80's (nearly 40 fricking years ago!!).

Now I have Smashing Pumpkins and Husker Du on repeat.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

This week:

Two Lone Swordsmen
Aim
Orbital
Banco de Gaia
INXS :oops:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 pm Blimey - Sisters of Mercy - somewhere I have some first edition vinyl of theirs
It will be worth a fortune now. I was in a record shop in Leeds in the 90s and they had a copy of one of the early singles, might have been Alice, the price was over what I was earning in a week.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

Somewhere I have "Body Electric/Adrenochrome" (7") and "Alice" (7 and 12"). They have the "rise and reverberate" inscribed on the centre, which was only done on the original record company pressings (I think the only early single I couldn't get was "Damage Done" - a mate got there first!)

I did look at selling them a few years ago, but they are well played and the sleeves aren't pristine, and it appears collectors only like things that have never been used.. :roll:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I can't stop listening to The Architects - Doomsday

https://youtu.be/RvWbcK3YQ_o
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Been having a retrospective listen to all the Depeche Mode albums in order of release over the last couple of weeks. Violator today, which was the first CD I ever bought. Still sounds amazing, imo.

Right now though I'm listening to
macinblack wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 pm
Alpdruck
and they're great! :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

I'm having an orchestral thing at the minute. So today it'll be mostly Rachmaninoff with a smattering of Morricone.

EDIT. Having watched "WuTang: of mics and men", recently, I'll probably put 36 chambers on at some point.
Last edited by ootini on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I blimmin' loves music I do!

Completely uninterested in irrelevant chart bobbins but pretty much every other genre has something to offer.

Currently working my way, chronologically, through Paul Weller's entire output. Jam, Style Council and solo.

The last few years has seen me mostly emploring/enjoying the massive explosion in new UK 'Jazz' (not what most think of as Jazz for the most part). Moses Boyd, Ezra Collective, Shabaka Hutchings, Nubya Garcia etc...

Beyond that I've been going back through my electronic music tastes and seeing what I missed first time round. Getting into the little scenes back in the late 80s, early 90s and filling out my musical knowledge and history.

The origins of Acid House, the depths of the Detroit techno scene, the divergence of Drum & Bass and Jungle etc...

And in between listening to everything from Classical to Metal, Reggae to Alt Country. I've even begun to make my peace with the Hippoty-Hop but still not my thing.

So much out there!
techno

Post by techno »

Great stuff some fantastic selections there.
B52s have been getting a lot of play and also thr completely different Skee Mask (berry aphex twin influenced).
Right now it's radio 2 (work ya see :roll: ).
Other things on heavy rotation are podcasts (behind the bastards, ridiculous history, Adam Buxton, infinite monkey cage.......) Whatever the kids are listening to and pummeling techno :mrgreen: .
gairym wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:35 am I blimmin' loves music I do!

....The origins of Acid House, the depths of the Detroit techno scene, the divergence of Drum & Bass and Jungle etc...

So much out there!
There blimmin is!!!
Check out Jerome hills Instagram, he regularly.posts up obscure but fantastic old dance stuff. https://instagram.com/djjeromehill?igshid=e0nnhnsa5nzx
Last edited by techno on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Wow, someone else that likes Ezra collective!
You should hunt out Lettuce and Snarky Puppy👌
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

CSN & America. Never really knew their music, but have discovered them both through youtube algorithms.
May satan walk with you
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Last night it was Beluga Lagoon
In the recent past it's been Отава Ё - I've no idea about the words but this hooked me in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBU06irWT8
Plus The Dead South are still up there as one on my favourites too
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Been listening to a lot of late 70’s/ early 80’s electronica. Early Human League, Cab Vol, Fad Gadget and the like. Seems to sum up the feeling around at the moment, bit like the late 70’s, when everything was fooked!! My kids bought me Trans Europe Express by Kraftwerk for Fathers Day. Never owned it but a superb album. Genius stuff. Florian Schneider RIP.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I use spotify radio a bit when working, right now its Pearl Jam radio.

When not concentrating on something else I like a full album. Of note lately is 'Greta Van Fleet' and 'The War on Drugs'
jameso

Post by jameso »

Great thread. Will be going through a few of the mentions here as my music taste is fairly wide but a limited depth of artists.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Just signed up for a Tidal account so have been listening to some favourites in master quality which really makes them sound great, even listening through a pair of AirPods Pro’s there is a marked difference when compared to 320kbs mp3. So far on master I’ve sampled lots of David Bowie, Talking heads, The Who, Peter Gabriel and Massive Attack.

Looking at my other recent listening I’ve got, Dr John, Stooges,The Wedding Present, Buzzcocks, Sublime,Lots of Led Zeppelin, Joe Strummer,Manu Chao and Janis Joplin

I don’t often listen to music on the bike but I had a nice moment yesterday, on a long remote off-road Section I listened to the whole of Pink Floyd, s ‘Wish you were here’ I’ve just got some little earbuds with something called transparency mode which lets in the external sounds. Shine on you crazy diamond mixed with rustling wheat and birdsongs was nice :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
techno

Post by techno »

Gari wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am Wow, someone else that likes Ezra collective!
You should hunt out Lettuce and Snarky Puppy👌
Have you heard Louis Cole, / knower you might like em.
V.funny and superb musicians:
https://youtu.be/ZMI1iU7VgyI
https://youtu.be/4zH9Zca1vRM
https://youtu.be/lj10_Br86iI