What are you listening to now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by RIP »

:-bd so you bought two :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:roll: ‘Funhouse’ by the Stooges :-bd
My next holy grail is the first Violent Femmes album (an absolutely superb record with possibly the finest bass tone ever recorded)
I’m loving buying albums in vinyl again, so much nicer, especially some sleeves. I’ve a couple of Led Zeppelin albums with nice die cut sleeves LZ 3 even has a little wheel which you can turn to reveal different pictures of the band, hours of fun, getting up there with slate mines dare I suggest?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

It is indeed. Now, how about setting up a top quality vinyl-only system inside a slate mine....

Undertones in Northampton in 2 weeks time....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

the excellent new Half Man Half Biscuit album “The Voltarol Years”
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Half Man Half Biscuit just make me laugh but clever with it. Kudos, Mate. Is this the new one? Subversive music in the underground for those who know better :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Today, as it's 43 years since it was released, I have mostly had the album Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers on. The anger and genuine spite and frustration sounds just as real and raw after all this time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:22 pm Today, as it's 43 years since it was released, I have mostly had the album Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers on. The anger and genuine spite and frustration sounds just as real and raw after all this time.
Imagine my dismay when I returned home with my copy and on removing it from the sleeve discovered a copy of The sound of Music soundtrack. :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:22 pm Today, as it's 43 years since it was released, I have mostly had the album Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers on. The anger and genuine spite and frustration sounds just as real and raw after all this time.
I spent my school years singing all the lyrics wrong as I couldn’t decipher Jake Burns accent. But SLF were my favourite band for so long. As my sons name attests to.
Last edited by Dave Barter on Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

I can't listen to Stiff Little Fingers any more. It's too near the knuckle (*) for someone for whom arthritis is no doubt looming!

(*) ho ho

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I built this many moons ago. It was painted to look like a parcel - brown paper, string and stamps. It was called 'Suspect Device' partly as a tribute to SLF and partly because we always expected it might explode at some point.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Those leathers don't look very protective in the event that the poor girl had a spill. Whatever is she thinking?

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Re Inflammable Material, I remember having to put a 2p coin on the stylus head so stop the thing jumping off the record, the only vinyl it happened with.

Re that picture - I have BSH No1 in a box somewhere.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

As there's lot of crap going on in the world at the mo, and I want some uplifting sounds to keep me company (but not distract me) while I work, I've turned to this: https://www.birdsong.fm/
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed that thanks BL. Now those are what I understand as proper "tweets".

This popped up in my YT recommendations. Think majestically soaring Morricone-style Western theme music with 60s garage & surf undertones (*), reminiscent of a lot of Joe Meek stuff (a hero of mine that nobody's ever heard of, ask Kev, who has a connection :smile: ). Turned up to 11, obviously it'll only appeal to lovers of guitar-based Proper Tunes like me :smile: . Made the hairs on my neck stand up anyway. Just played it eight times in a row so my neck looks like a porcupine now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLhWg9PaJA

Danny Amis was a founder member of Los Straitjackets of course. Equally never heard of by anybody but Reg!

Talking of the 60s; in other news, this Sunday 9pm ITV I shall be watching rather than listening: a remake of the ultra-classic Ipcress File as a six-part series. Joe Cole, Tom Hollander, Lucy Boynton... should be a cracker... https://www.whattowatch.com/features/th ... g-joe-cole

Major Dalby: The next time you use CC1 authority, just you make sure you have it!

Palmer: You know, it's funny... If Radcliffe had been here, I'd have been... a hero.

Major Dalby: He wasn't. And you're not.

(*) talking of which, only 8 days to go... Cornwell will be the "support" act!
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I don't know If I've mentioned these before but I've really got into them over the last two years. I try and spread the word but, it seems, no one is really interested. They are a little leftfield but a lot of you people seem to err that way too.

Six Organs Of Admittance - Shelter from the Ash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKJKT- ... -hRq0&t=55

In the early covid period, when the only time outside was exercise and dog-walking his music just seemed to fit. It seemed right to be outside listening to this and at the same time when bikepacking became a thing for me, this complimented the whole idea for me.

His album Companian Rises is a stand out for me. I'd say he's largely unknown but was a guitarist in Comets on Fire, in case anyone knows them.
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:16 pm ...reminiscent of a lot of Joe Meek stuff (a hero of mine that nobody's ever heard of, ask Kev, who has a connection :smile: ).
Local Gloucestershire lad from Newent, a town famous for Joe Meek and also for its onion yuttin festival :grin:
Talking of the 60s; in other news, this Sunday 9pm ITV I shall be watching rather than listening: a remake of the ultra-classic Ipcress File as a six-part series.
Classic theme tune to the original film :-bd

Was listening to Sounds of the 70s earlier, good to hear Sounds of the Suburbs and, for me the memory buds were aroused be Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird - I was at Knebworth when they first played it :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:41 pm Joe Meek...... Local Gloucestershire lad from Newent, a town famous for Joe Meek and also for its onion yuttin festival :grin:
Yep! Acknowledged as UK's first independent record producer.
Ipcress File..... Classic theme tune to the original film :-bd
Also yep! 1hr 40 mins to go.

Colonel Ross : [totally deadpan, telling Palmer about his upcoming transfer to Major Dalby's department] You won't have much time for cooking. Dalby *works* his men. And he doesn't have my sense of humor.

Palmer : Yes, sir. I will miss that, sir.

psling

Post by psling »

Here's one for you and Dave Barter, Reg:

Debbie Harry (Blondie), Viv Albertine (The Slits), Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshees), Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders), Poly Styrene (X-Ray Spex) and Pauline Black (The Selecter).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:44 pm Here's one for you and Dave Barter, Reg:

Debbie Harry (Blondie), Viv Albertine (The Slits), Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshees), Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders), Poly Styrene (X-Ray Spex) and Pauline Black (The Selecter).
All my favourite ladies (bar one in case she sees this). Viv Albertine's two books are well worth a read
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye what a bunch - imagine them all in the same band! Bit like a sort of female punk Wilburys. Or not :???: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gotta love a bit of post-punk bollox :-bd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxmZZBJQAKM
techno

Post by techno »

been playing lots of Fontaines DC recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNXrKBt76zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLNt8aMNbvY
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 pm Gotta love a bit of post-punk bollox :-bd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxmZZBJQAKM
ah, that takes me back to the indie night at the welly.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Can't beat a bit of Punky Black Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPGS4WDpj8
techno

Post by techno »

macinblack wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:58 pm Can't beat a bit of Punky Black Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPGS4WDpj8
that reminds me of extreme noise terror. :-bd