Gpx file sharing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Gpx file sharing

Post by slarge »

We always seem to have to email Gpx files around privately, but it would be great to have a library of good routes. Is it possible to have a sort of file sharing option on this site Stu, independent of routeing platform?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gpx file sharing

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No idea Steve. I'll do some digging and ask those who know their arse from their elbow :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Easiest option might be to standardise on one of the common route-sharing platforms, e.g. Komoot, Ridewithgps, Plotaroute.

I think they all allow import and export of gpx files so there would be need to force folk to use that tool for route plotting.

Maybe choose one with decent Privacy options whereby you need the link to access the route?
robbie

Post by robbie »

Plot a route seems a good option. You could maybe have someone set up an account then share the password so multiple routes under the same account?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

See, I was thinking (given that everyone generates their routes in different software) maybe a simple on-line file sharing account?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

SFTP? Google Docs? Dropbox? All potential options.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 pm See, I was thinking (given that everyone generates their routes in different software) maybe a simple on-line file sharing account?
That's where I am as well Stu, as everyone prefers a different option depending on what they want to do. I still use Memory Map, but only because I have it, and being more traditional, the files are on my laptop not some placeless cloud that could end up losing them when app.xyz gets bought out/goes bust etc etc.

If it were set up right then there could be some comments / ride experiences attached to each file, so people know what to expect. I steer clear of routes that I don't know the history of as they could turn out to be real lemons.....

For the dropbox, googledocs etc, can we have a group account or something that we can all access without it getting spammed or full of junk "look at my GPX where I rode to the shops" type routes?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

slarge wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 pm the files are on my laptop not some placeless cloud that could end up losing them when app.xyz gets bought out/goes bust etc etc.
You mean like Google Drive or Dropbox?

Might be better if we just kept printed copies and mailed them to each other on request. Route notes could be added if you have a quill and ink handy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A really left field idea - github. A bit more work but has the advantage that if things go pear shaped at the server end anyone can recreate the list.

Dropbox would be fine as well. I've also used We Transfer but not sure of the long term storage on that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I’m going to say that I disapprove of an easy to find database of routes.

Once things are public, quiet and fragile places soon come under increased traffic.

I’m certainly not saying these routes are just for a clique, but I am saying they shouldn’t be too easy to find.

Maybe a one of subscription to an environmental charidee to join?
slarge

Post by slarge »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:49 pm
slarge wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 pm the files are on my laptop not some placeless cloud that could end up losing them when app.xyz gets bought out/goes bust etc etc.
You mean like Google Drive or Dropbox?

Might be better if we just kept printed copies and mailed them to each other on request. Route notes could be added if you have a quill and ink handy.
We've all seen some of the photo websites go kaput, and even Flikr is on a file size / number of photos limit before you need a subscription. So don't assume it can't happen. I agree that companies like Apple, Google, MS etc are going to outlast most of us, but they could charge at the drop of a hat for us to get access to our own data.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was assuming whatever solution adopted was just for files we wanted to share, not for all of our personal route files. I keep mine in Basecamp but I've used most of the others for the occasional bit of sharing.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm A really left field idea - github. A bit more work but has the advantage that if things go pear shaped at the server end anyone can recreate the list.
lol at the idea of a load of bikepackers fighting over merge conflicts ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer