What do you think about when you are riding?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: What do you think about when you are riding?

Post by GregMay »

I honestly don't know. I switch off a lot on a bike - part of the charm of it.

I think a lot when I'm fell running, I tend to use that to mull things over and make decisions.

Bike, it's relaxing. All sort of just happens really.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Now I’m gonna be thinking about staying ahead of Shaf :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
gairym

Post by gairym »

For me there's no one definitive answer.

Like there's no one definitive bike.

Or one definitive type of riding.

When I ride my bouncy bike down ma-hoo-sive mountains I get crapola-loads of adrenaline and mostly make motorbike noises in my head.

When I ride my hardtail through alpine singletrack I'm internally/externally singing whatever music I'm currently listening to and thinking about life, the universe and everything.

When I ride my gravel bike I'm forcing my body through the miles while I slowly and progressively work through whatever issues are currently occupying my psyche (and singing along to appropriate music).

When I'm riding my road bike (now my gravel bike with slicks on) I'm venting my anger and frustration with the world accompanied by fast-paced techno.

And when I'm bikepacking I let my mind wander though all of the above and much, MUCH more as I progress through fun, pain, joy, suffering and everything in between (and I know I'm in trouble when I catch myself meowing songs like some kind of nut-job! 😜)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Late in again.

I think about lots, but the one thing I dont think about is work. Mostly its:

- why are there so many gates in the Chilterns
- I dont care if this is a footpath, silly silly people telling me how to live my life. Sillies.
- dog sh1t dog sh1t dog sh1t !!!!
- avocado on toast
- why dont people have taps in their front gardens
- oooooh .... red kites!!
- wonder where that goes then
- ABBA
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:11 pm Now I’m gonna be thinking about staying ahead of Shaf :wink:
You're bloomin always ahead of me with blustering pace aswell. I gave up along while ago but iteresting to see how far below I am on the double Everest Mt top...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

On a multi-day trip I spend an embarrassing amount of time fantasising about how I’m going to ‘spend’ the calories I’m burning.

Mmmmmmm ... fish and chips ( . )
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Mine drifts and sort of floats a bit like when you're dropping off to sleep apart from I'm awake. Mostly it's positive thoughts and sometimes I come up with good ideas without concentrating.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I generally start of thinking about something in particular, a problem I need to solve or something, but quickly forget about it. I then get engrossed in the ride.

Can I sustain this effort on this bit of bridleway? Fucking horses. Stop. Photos. Fucking dogs off the lead. Fucking litter. Oh, what was I supposed to be thinking about again? Stop. Photos. Those are nice flowers, wonder what that bird is? Could I bivvy in these woods? Is this the right gear? Stop. Photos. Am I going hard enough? Try not to puke your lungs up? Stop. Photos. Are we there yet...? Why are there no taps, or streams, or other sources of free water? Fucking horse hoof churned up poor show. Stop. Photos. What was I supposed to be thinking about again...?

Although today, all I could think about was buying one of those new Decathlon expedition bikes... 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Some times I ride to ease my mind, others to cease it.

I have ridden across the country in order to ‘clear’ it of the clutter and onslaught that I bring down upon myself. I find the repetition of movement eases me and helps me ‘think’. I have often made important decisions on the bike (others walking, walking, walking).

Sometimes I just crave the senselessness it gives me and how the exertion and concentration blocks out any stray ‘thoughts’ for a while. Respite from being me I guess.

I suspect it’s my version of ‘stimming’...
Give the dirt a little room.