Blown xt piston

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Blown xt piston

Post by Mike »

So on my ride over the mynd the last two day my front brake erupted. Having got home and stripped it down iv found that the ceramic piston has disintegrated into 5 bits :shock:
Looking on the net iv found a shimano slx caliper on sale. Now im just asking but would these be compatible as it looks the same thibg but has slx written on the side
sean_iow

Re: Blown xt piston

Post by sean_iow »

How old is the xt one? Don't Shimano have a 2 year warranty on xt and above? I got some nearly 2 year old xt pedals replaced under warranty no problem as they had play when clipped in.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:51 pm How old is the xt one? Don't Shimano have a 2 year warranty on xt and above? I got some nearly 2 year old xt pedals replaced under warranty no problem as they had play when clipped in.
XTR (and I think by default Dura Ace) have 3 years standard warranty. They're very passionate about what they do and making things better and better that I doubt you'd have problems them entertaining you and most probably a refund/replacement (never tried this but I just have the feeling as work is religion for Japanese manufacturing)...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You can buy pistons on fleabay - they are anodized alloy but will do the job.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now im just asking but would these be compatible
Yes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

OMG! :o
Do you have a photo? :shock:
In all my years in the cycle, motorcycle and car trade,I have never seen or heard of a brake piston disintegrating.
Even if it's out of warranty,I would try Shimano to see whether they will help you.
When I worked at a few cycle shops they did assist with some strange warranty issues.
Madison were the Shimano importers at the time.
I personally prefer genuine replacement parts where braking is concerned.
However, I have replaced car brake seals with pattern ones without any issues over the years.
Motorcycle and cycle brakes I always use genuine parts ,more for piece of mind.
Others on here may agree, working brakes are important on two wheels, otherwise it's .....ouch! :???:
Insanity over vanity
Mike

Post by Mike »

Piston by - Flickr2BBcode LITE
Its fell apart at the back of the piston
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've seen a few like that. Last year with one brake I replaced with hope phenolic pistons - diameter was fine, just needed to shave a little off the height. Used the same seals, still working well.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

WOW! :o
Never seen that before!
The damaged pistons were always caused by forcing pistons back without a pad in place on the pad side of the piston damaged with ehem.."incorrect tools"..., seen it on motorcycle caliper pistons especially the phenolic resin types,billet iirc.
Maybe it may have been a faulty piston? Curious!
Insanity over vanity
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats odd that right enough. Wonder if its got pushed back in after hitting a big bump, gone in squint and the lever force pushing it back has broken the back edge off?? Or dodgy material??
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 pm WOW! :o
Never seen that before!
with ehem.."incorrect tools"..., Curious!
Surely Mike would never have done such a thing (flat blad screwdriver or worse straight on the pistons? :o )
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I cracked an slx one a few years back, was about £20 for a new caliper so didn't seem worth faffing about repairing it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've seen ceramic pistons broken at the front or cracked by screwdrivers levering the pistons back in but if you've not done that and the break doesn't look that way (though hard to image why they would just break, there's an element of JRA here Mike :grin: ), almost a cert they'd get them replaced. Since it's a potentially serious safety issue I expect they'd be more than happy to replace the brakes and get the broken one back.
FLV

Post by FLV »

My experience of Shimano warranty on brake failures is the opposite.

Had an XT level fail (clamp to lever casting) and RS505 sti fail (casting cracked at the hose port). Both times I was accused of mullering it and told to buzz off.

The warranty goes with the shop first then the importer. I just gave up.

(Nether time have i mullered it by the way)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am (Nether time have i mullered it by the way)
Says the bloke with a bear for an icon :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

The warranty goes with the shop first then the importer. I just gave up.
Warranty contract/legality is with the shop. And within the first 6 months it's for them to prove it's not a faulty part, not you to prove it is. But both could be over-torques :wink: Madison ime are generally pretty good (fair) with warranty on Shimano - they've seen enough to know what's a JRA and what's a genuine fault and Shimano's manufacturing consistency is close to as good as it gets in the bike industry.
FLV

Post by FLV »

almost like I didn't say I hadn't mullered them isn't it....
jameso

Post by jameso »

FLV wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm almost like I didn't say I hadn't mullered them isn't it....
- :grin: I meant it as the shop can think that no matter what you say. And to be fair to them it's the most likely explanation or common reason in that sort of failure.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Always use my parktool plastic levers to push pistons back and plus this has failed at the back of the piston not the front, might drop madison a call out of interest as i cant remember where i got them from
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The only thing that touches my pistons is my pads.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm Always use my parktool plastic levers to push pistons back and plus this has failed at the back of the piston not the front, might drop madison a call out of interest as i cant remember where i got them from
When it comes to the actual return I think Madison only take things back via a retailer who has an account with them but that might of changed in recent years.