Troubleshooting (Rohloff) help needed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Re: Troubleshooting (Rohloff) help needed

Post by woodsmith »

KMC e1 chain? I got about 5000k out of the first one at 0.75% wear and only about half that out of the last one. Really disapointed with the last one, both using ProGold ProLink lube. Changing to Smoove Universal on the next one and reversing the rear sprocket. No noticeable wear on the surly stainless steel chainring.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Yes, it's an e1 and thanks for the heads up on the lube; I'll investigate tomorrow.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Plenty of life in that sprocket lifio.
I once heard a pinging sound on the trail. Third time I heard it I thought it was worth investigating. Turns out that it was the toothpick thin sprocket teeth snapping off.
By the time I got to a bike shop there were only nine left and most of them didn't survive the chainwhip. Still got the old sprocket as keepsake.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I thought so too but with the new chain the rumble was really loud. I guess it would have gone eventually but I think I might try the old chain with the sprocket spun around the next give the bike some TLC. Not that I'm planing on switching back but I'd like to understand how you've managed to get such a long life out of your sprockets without encountering the rumble issue I had.

Smoove lube has been ordered...