Black Gore Shakedry Alternative

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Black Gore Shakedry Alternative

Post by Escape Goat »

I was wondering this morning about any alternatives anyone knows about to a black Gore Shakedry.

I set my alarm for 4am and got up to go for a ride. It was raining, which I didn't really mind, but I was going for a bit of a road ride. I ended up not going because I didn't feel safe enough to go out all in black.

I wonder, does anyone know of a comparable alternative to this jacket in brighter colours? It's super breathable and insanely waterproof... I use it for offroading only really these days.
voodoo_simon

Re: Black Gore Shakedry Alternative

Post by voodoo_simon »

If you already have the jacket, then why not add a hi viz best or belt on over the top?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can highly recommend the stuff from Pro-viz for road riding.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

rear light with day bright mode?
some sort of high viz sash
I suspect that whatever you get it will not be as good performance wise as that.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/gear/three-gore ... ts-review/
Exposure trace / trace R highly effective and a bit cheaper!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

htrider wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:46 am https://bikepacking.com/gear/three-gore ... ts-review/
Exposure trace / trace R highly effective and a bit cheaper!
Like Jon also said... this is ace and slight side visible aswell... The Bonty lights are also ace as is getting yoursefl a yellow helmet (mine is from Speclaized and I bought it once when I ended up in York - via train - and had forgotten my helmet at home in the rush to work)...

Looks likw Columbus Outdry (but Stu and others will know better) do come in lightweight and bright colours aswell??
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ràpha Core rain jacket is really good, feels like a wind proof but keeps the rain out. It comes in bright orange.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've contemplated a high vis belt before today but never tried it. Just wonder if it would wear away at the jacket. It is made from barely anything so it's super fragile.

I do use two Bontrager Flare lights and also a Cateye helmet light too.

I'll check out that brand too Stuart, thanks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
robbie

Post by robbie »

I've got a shake dry. I don't think you will find a better lightweight pack able jacket! But yes the viability was a concern for me when I bought it a few years ago. I see there is a version with yellow or orange I can't remember which :roll: on the back now
I also have the pro viz gilet but only use it for early morning or evening commutes in the winter as it is boil in the bag but really does reflect and I feel a bit safer wearing it! It's a shame it can't be made much thinner and more vented? I hate to think what the full jacket is like. Why don't you add some reflective tape to the rear stays and seat post to help. you can buy it from ebay. I've put some on my fork legs and rear end :shock: :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Sounds like a plan. Might have a look into that. Thank you.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I got a shakedry jacket for an extremely cheap price, only worn it a couple of times and there is now an abrasion tear/hole on the sleeve above the cuff. Anyone done any repairs on shakedry?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

3 minutes into wearing mine it ripped.

I can't see any reason you can't use a tarp hole sticker thing.
Dean

Post by Dean »

rudedog wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm I got a shakedry jacket for an extremely cheap price, only worn it a couple of times and there is now an abrasion tear/hole on the sleeve above the cuff. Anyone done any repairs on shakedry?
Self-adhesive tube patch, inside and out? Had a hole on a pair of trousers, patching the inside was as important as the outside.

Fellow ripped-new-jacket-on-first-day user here (still don't know how I did it).
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Probably nowhere near how good a Shakedry is, but I forgot I had this...

:roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ha! :lol:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

As a pure lightweight waterproof jacket the shakedry can't be beaten at the moment.
That said, I rarely wear mine and visibility is one issue.

It is a true waterproof, where as I think every other lightweight option will rely upon a DWR finish to repel water but that wears off quickly and then you are just left with a wind resistant shell.

I have a GORE C7 and that has a 3-layer and bright yellow finish. No where near as packable and not mega light, but you might just about squeeze it into a pocket. Quite breathable and even when the DWR wears off, that is still waterproof. Through winter I will wear it almost every ride just because it works so well.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Following on from this and sort of on topic, has anyone tried a Berghaus hyper 100 jacket? Still quite spendy but 100g's and reviews suggest its pretty durable.... I'm needing a lightweight waterproof and fed up of ones that aren't, or breathable either. Latest attempt was a Keela Saxon which seemed good but it can't stand anything other than light rain for about an hour....
composite

Post by composite »

I have a pro-vis gilet which I bought for evening riding and although is amazingly reflective I was disappointed with just how non-breathable it is. I only use it for commuting now and it does that job very well.

I have the Shake Dry and would certainly agree that it is head and shoulders the best packable waterproof jacket I have ever had. I really like it. Doubles a good windproof/extra layer for descents or after sunset, as it breaths amazingly well. I just make sure I have my lights for days when it's dark. I have the pro-vis reversible backpack cover to go over the saddlebag if I'm using that, hi-vis in the day time, reflective at night.

Just to complete the circle, for all-day rain, or rain on cold days, I really like the Columbia Out Dry Reign Jacket. Again easily the best non-packable waterproof I have had. Doesn't breath that well, not horrendous boil in a bag, but nothing like the Shake Dry. However, it does vent very well. Massive pit zips and mesh pockets that act as vents if you leave the zips open. Hardcore waterproof as well.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I have just purchased the Gore R7 Shakedry Trail jacket based on this thread. :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

This is where I’ve always gone for a 2 jacket approach (like Neil)

One “summer” jacket that is more occasion use.
One that packs small, and will keep the worst of it off for an hour or so

Then another “winter” jacket for when you know it’s going to rain for most of the day.
Not fussed about pack size, but it needs to keep the rain out and breathe.

Easily get 2 jackets for less than the cost of one of the Shakedrys and you don’t have to worry about breaking one.

Plus, if it gets that bad you can always dig out the big bags :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm has anyone tried a Berghaus hyper 100 jacket?
Is that the one Karl had on the HT550 last year? He bought a plastic poncho at Contin so draw your own conclusions. Of course it might not be the same jacket.

I've given up on super-light waterproofs when I want to stay dry/warm now. I take the minimalist waterproof if the forecast is dry but I want to carry a waterproof just in case. If it's raining/forecast to rain I'll take a heavier jacket and trade the extra weight for staying dry. My current favourite is a Berghaus made from Gore Tex Active that I got of eBay for £30, washed and proofed and it's kept me drier than jackets I've bought new for 5 times that :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having suffered (badly) using lightweight waterproofs on the Braunton 150 when a storm hit so I got an Endura MT500 jacket. Yes it's heavier and won't fit in a jersey pocket but it's stood up to as bad as Yorkshire, Scotland and Iceland can throw at it.

Edit: I should say I'll still use the lighter top when it's warm and wet such as on Saturday but once it drops below 10C or so I'll use the MT500.
Last edited by whitestone on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm still rocking the Outdry on really wet days. Hardly lightweight mind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am
htrider wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm has anyone tried a Berghaus hyper 100 jacket?
Is that the one Karl had on the HT550 last year? He bought a plastic poncho at Contin so draw your own conclusions. Of course it might not be the same jacket.

I've given up on super-light waterproofs when I want to stay dry/warm now. I take the minimalist waterproof if the forecast is dry but I want to carry a waterproof just in case. If it's raining/forecast to rain I'll take a heavier jacket and trade the extra weight for staying dry. My current favourite is a Berghaus made from Gore Tex Active that I got of eBay for £30, washed and proofed and it's kept me drier than jackets I've bought new for 5 times that :roll:
It is right enough... I guess I wouldn't get one to use in such conditions but the more I think about it, the more that £200 for light summer waterproof is just not worth it. I can get another Paramo Quito for the same (mines now looking a little worn), which is a far more useful jacket and will keep out any weather you'd care to mention as well as lasting for years. In fact I don't need to as mine just needs a few repairs and a new zip.....