Black Gore Shakedry Alternative

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Re: Black Gore Shakedry Alternative

Post by Karl »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am
htrider wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm has anyone tried a Berghaus hyper 100 jacket?
Is that the one Karl had on the HT550 last year? He bought a plastic poncho at Contin so draw your own conclusions. Of course it might not be the same jacket.

I've given up on super-light waterproofs when I want to stay dry/warm now. I take the minimalist waterproof if the forecast is dry but I want to carry a waterproof just in case. If it's raining/forecast to rain I'll take a heavier jacket and trade the extra weight for staying dry. My current favourite is a Berghaus made from Gore Tex Active that I got of eBay for £30, washed and proofed and it's kept me drier than jackets I've bought new for 5 times that :roll:
It was. Its lightweight but after a couple of days of rain being blown through I upgraded to a poncho. It was the wind chill that was causing me issues, not so much the waterproofness.

I've now got a OMM Aether, twice the weight but twice the fun!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think a lot of the very light kit is designed for running more than biking. I've got an Inov8 waterproof smock which is 150g and packs down well. I wear it running even in really foul weather. Is it waterproof? Hard to tell, in very bad weather the rain is being driven in the hole in the front of the hood where my face shows :lol: I'm often damp/wet inside when I take it off. But, as I'm running I'm only out for a few hours and even on the downhills I can be working hard enough to keep warm.

I used it on the 2017 B150, on the road descents at night I was having to keep my legs turning over even though on the ss it was too fast to keep up peddling and I also had to brake to keep the speed below 25mph to keep the shivering under control.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Karl wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:06 pm It was. Its lightweight but after a couple of days of rain being blown through I upgraded to a poncho. It was the wind chill that was causing me issues, not so much the waterproofness.
It is very light to carry though. Even lighter when you abandoned the 3g storage bag in The Moorings :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I notice a lot of the reviews for the lightweight running jackets are for runners and walkers. Mebbes cos they aren't going as fast as us and therefore the rain is more vertical than horizontal so can be shrugged off by a marginal waterproof easier. I have a pair of pertex shield over-trousers and they have been pretty poor - they are fine for a ride after nikwaxing but then then tend to wet out after about an hour of rain. When you read reviews people then talk about them being fine for hours in the rain.....

Oh well got a good deal on a bright yellow Gore C3 active which is a bit heavier than I'd hoped but ticks all my other boxes for a 'summer' waterproof.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Tis true that many jackets simply aren't designed for the prolonged periods of rain / wind often endured when bikepacking.

The native Americans of what is now New York had a saying - 'Light is right unless it's sh1te'. I think we can all learn something from that :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I definitely get what Karl describes regarding the lack of wind-proofness of the superlight waterproof jackets. - In those circumstances you need some "meat" to the material.

After my experience on a wet HT550 (ITT) last year, my go to jacket has been a Paramo Velez Adventure Light for long/cold/wet/remote trips.

For bikepacking, I generally use it with just with a Craft baselayer beneath. - It works well and is pretty bombproof, but it is heavy - 600g and bulky. I also use it a lot for mountaineering and backpacking.

It's warmer than most shells, but you can vent it using the side zips.

The reason I went for the R7 Shakedry Trail was for times when it was likely to be warmer but could still be prolonged wet.

I don't use a rucksack or waist pack when biking.

Perhaps I still "need" something inbetween !