Hope 1000 and self sufficiency

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Hope 1000 and self sufficiency

Post by ssnowman »

I'm also a bit puzzled by this. Will Jochen's result still stand, seeing he borrowed a bike to finish on?

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/hope-1000-2020
May satan walk with you
jameso

Re: Hope 1000 and self sufficiency

Post by jameso »

Depends on the event rules I suppose. It's not self-sufficient in the general sense. If you bought the bike from a shop it'd be OK I think, commercially available to all etc. It might be stretching the trail magic idea a bit far if someone had just happened to lend him a bike, partic with SS only a couple of hours behind him.

Contrast with Emma Pooley's post on her mechanical - "My dot is still moving because I was able to pick up my old adventure bike from a friend who was borrowing it. That counts as outside assistance from personal supporters (different from random acts of kindness from strangers, which is the same for everyone) so I’ve asked the #hope1000 organiser to DQ / denote me as “non-competitive”. It’s not fair play to use a home advantage."
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think having to get a free bike from someone surely has to count as both
1) outside assistance however it was acquired
2) Not self supported as someone else had to do 1

A new bike from a shop is also a stretch but technically ok as its just a very big repair anyone could have done

I dont know the details of the incident/details mind but i am not letting ignorance stop me having an opinion :oops:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My interpretation is it's not a commercial service so not permitted but it does depend on the rules of the event and the organiser's interpretation.

On a previous HT550 Alan G DQF himself for repeatably borrowing a shock pump off another competitors, but not every event or competitor has the same level of ethical standards.

The trail magic thing is really a carry over from the US long distance hiking trails like the AT and PCT but they're not races.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think Jochen's time should stand but with an asterix against it as it was an "assisted" time. It is an impressive time whether assisted or not so should be recognised as such.