Hydration reservoirs...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Hydration reservoirs...

Post by redefined_cycles »

My Camelbak has develiped a leak which I've just superglued over then pit on a patch for good measure with the glue... already had a hole in the bite valve which appear to be obsolete. Thought I'd ask if anyone has any thoughts on any one specific water bladder reservoir over another (and any good deals avaiable) as I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another anyway...

Thoughts and suggestions most appreciated. Can't be something with 9 degree bend as it wont fit through the hose port upper section of my Wildcat bag (or its a pain each time with the current one)... Unless off course I have a hose that can unattach at the bag!

Currently thinking this seems cheap enough https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... oir-p11108 in 3L guise but no experience of anything other than CamelBak (I think I want a change) or the Osprey (heavy and expensive)... CBs served me well for 5 years though...
chrisjones

Re: Hydration reservoirs...

Post by chrisjones »

Sport Persuit currently have Source hydration bladders at 50%-60% off.

Source have been my first choice for years.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If it’s a reservoir to sit in a bag you want I think you could do worse than an MSR Dromedary or Drom Light. Robust bag covered in cordura. Choice of lids so you can just use it as a water bag or stick the hose on as you wish.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was also going to suggest Source at SportPursuit, based on my own good experience.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Platypus bladders for me - a mate put me onto them and as they have a lifetime guarantee you get a replacement when they split. Shes on her third or fourth doing this.
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 pm Platypus bladders for me - a mate put me onto them and as they have a lifetime guarantee you get a replacement when they split. Shes on her third or fourth doing this.
Yes and thanks for that endrosement. After Lukes mentioning of the MSR it took me to a review site with good things about the Platypus big zip Evo. Probably go with that in 3L flavour as I'm hoping it'll measure up similar to the CB and fit snugly in the framebag.

I do hope I never have to use their lifetime warranty though which seems like they really stand by their product

Thanks a bunch all :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a Geiggerig (spelling?) which I've had for many years. Lots and lots of use, and has been solid. The top opens completely so you can turn it inside out to clean it (which I rarely do since I keep it in the freezer). Made by Hydrapak I think. The original bite valve split after a year or two, and Geiggerig sent me an apology and new one, no questions asked. I've replaced it with a Camelbak one now as I prefer that type.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am I have a Geiggerig (spelling?) which I've had for many years. Lots and lots of use, and has been solid. The top opens completely so you can turn it inside out to clean it (which I rarely do since I keep it in the freezer). Made by Hydrapak I think. The original bite valve split after a year or two, and Geiggerig sent me an apology and new one, no questions asked. I've replaced it with a Camelbak one now as I prefer that type.
After your comment I was confident enough to go for the ShapeShift Hydrapak 3L. Closing the baffle makes it 2.5L. Looks very nice indeed and no taste (except the Yorkshire Water) and it comes with a 'Beyond Lifetime' no quibble type warranty. Hopefully I'll never need it.

Thanks v much again all...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks like an updated version of the one I have - the hose port and sliding closure look identical.

Have to admit the flexible 3 or 2.5 litre thing seems like marketing guff :lol: - one of the great things about bladders over bottles is they take up hardly any extra space when they're empty... so you can make it into a 2.5l bladder by not filling the last 0.5l :???: Doesn't detract from it, just annoys me :roll:
redefined_cycles

Does look cute with the bffle engaged though. Will post up a pic when I get chance and pretty sure you'll agree :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

OK, just watched their marketing video. The baffle does look handy for helping the bag retain shape when fitting it full into thinner or heavily loaded backpacks.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Admittedly I haven't actually looked at how the change in volume is achieved, so I'll take your words for it.