Shirts for the discerning gentleman

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Shirts for the discerning gentleman

Post by Chew »

Wanting something a bit more casual to ride around in.
Any particular shirts to be looking at?
Something that works with pipe would be a bonus :-bd
TheBrownDog

Re: Shirts of the discerning gentleman

Post by TheBrownDog »

I really like the Alpkit Woodsmoke shirts, though I wouldnt wear one to the board meeting
I'm just going outside ...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Patagonia Fjord
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

If you can find one in your size the Shimano Transit shirt is really good, I have the long sleeve version and it's the best thing for summer riding. Makes a big difference in the heat for me. The Alpkit shirts look good too but warmer, I tend to wear something looser like this in the summer and the Shimano material is thin, cool and dries really fast. Nicely wind-resistant on a colder morning also.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:03 pm How about summat bamboo?

https://bambooclothing.co.uk/category/m ... ns-shirts/
If the cut was OK for riding they would be great. Have you tried one?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not one of those James but a few years ago I picked up some similar shirts for £1 each :-bd I know Mike wears his quite a bit and they seem okay to ride in.
ton

Post by ton »

i like a nice light cotton type shirt in warm weather. with buttons all the way down the front.

columbia do some nice stuff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Didn't we do this one a couple of years ago or something Chew?

Thought we'd decided a plain white Jermyn Street shirt and a nice bit of tweed was the only thing.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like my alpkit woodsmoke but it's way too hot for summer have a berghaus fast hike short that I like. Proper long sleeves, stretch panel and really fast drying
Chew

Post by Chew »

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:14 pm Didn't we do this one a couple of years ago or something Chew?
Why I think we did old bean <taps out pipe>, seems like noggin is going the same way as the old ticker...

Cheers James, it was you tweet earlier that spared the interest, and think I may have found one in my size as a reasonable price.
May have a travel through eBay and see if I can find some pound bamboo ones as I don’t want to trash anything too fancy on the brambles around here.
composite

Post by composite »

You already have the beard Chew so get something checked and go full #gravelwanker!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good stuff, I think they're discontinued now so worth grabbing one if you found your size.
May have a travel through eBay and see if I can find some pound bamboo ones as I don’t want to trash anything too fancy on the brambles around here.
I use the Shimano shirt when I'm on the MTB this time of year partly as bramble protection, the fabric's really fine/tight and it doesn't snag anywhere near as easily as a bike jersey. Not bramble-proof but not something I worry about too much.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks nice for someone of ahem, larger build, than myself: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-BAM-AIR ... 3977861488

(you could always go full tin-foil hat if you've got the money (came up in the same search) :lol: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bamboo-and-S ... 3903730385)
Scud

Post by Scud »

If you can take the price, the Morvelo Overland shirts are well made, i don't like their roadie gear, but the Overland bib shorts with 3 pockets in the rear of the shorts have been a revelation, often then just wear a merino t-shirt with it.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I like my Alpkit Woodsmoke but as said above to warm for now. Looking at the Shimano Transit - never heard of it until this post - but bikester.co.uk have a large shirt reduced to £27 +p&p. To big for me but someone might be interested.

https://m.bikester.co.uk/shimano-transi ... 33377.html
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Shirts for the discerning gentleman

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a few offerings from Craghoppers on Sport Pursuit. They tend to be pretty hardwearing, light, quick drying etc.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I quite fancy one of those Shimano shirts for ironic gravelwanging and mountain biking but looking at the size guide I'd need an XL I reckon and there don't seem to be any left. Ho hum. :cry: I have a burnt orange Craghoppers shirt already, I might wear that and a tie for Sundays gravel ride for a laugh. :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

(you could always go full tin-foil hat if you've got the money (came up in the same search) :lol: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bamboo-and-S ... 3903730385)
Glastonbury based - surprising eh

I was a traveller in my youth[van dog on a rope, protest etc ] and by christ i hated getting into a conversation with that type of anti science irrational hippy - ie most of them :lol:
Always found it amusing they would place any chemical in them for recreational purposes and no chemical for a health benefit
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I found a short sleeve, work type shirt from Arcteryx in a sale bin across the pond a while back. Great cut for riding in. Appreciate it doesn't compete with 1 squid bamboo on the price scales...but if you can find 'em, they're good enough to ride or go to work in. Missus says I look sharp in it and won't keep her hands off. Can't be all that bad.

[Edit: helps to see 'em - https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/mens/shirts-and-tops/ - first 4 would be a reasonable choice]

Greetz

S.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Steve - Vulpine may be considered gravelwanker these days, but their merino riding tops are nice. Way nicer than my BaaBaa. Got mine 2nd hand and wore it to death.

Greetz

S.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Columbia have a summer sale running. There’s a 10% discount code too “EXTRA10” for 2 or more items, not sure if that applies to sale item.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/c/ ... refv1=Tops
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Scattamah wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:58 am I found a short sleeve, work type shirt from Arcteryx in a sale bin across the pond a while back. Great cut for riding in. Appreciate it doesn't compete with 1 squid bamboo on the price scales...but if you can find 'em, they're good enough to ride or go to work in. Missus says I look sharp in it and won't keep her hands off. Can't be all that bad.

[Edit: helps to see 'em - https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/mens/shirts-and-tops/ - first 4 would be a reasonable choice]

Greetz

S.
I had a look at shirts on Sport Pursuit (inspired by this thread) and they have a really nice looking short sleeve Arcteryx shirt for about thirty quid but only in size medium. I got all excited and was going to order one until I realised that they didn't have my size. 🙄
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »