Dynamo hub question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chrisjones

Dynamo hub question

Post by chrisjones »

Does anyone know if there is a dynamo hub available which fits a 110x20 through axle?

I have a pair of Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air forks with a 20mm through axle. Try as I might, I can't find a dynamo hub that would fit this standard and I don't really want to change the forks if I don't have to as I really like them.

If there isn't such a thing out there; then I may rethink.
Mart

Re: Dynamo hub question

Post by Mart »

The Son 28 comes in Boost but from what i remember it’s 15mm axle
Not cheap either :shock:
2924 miles per Gallon
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Mart wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:56 pm The Son 28 comes in Boost but from what i remember it’s 15mm axle
Not cheap either :shock:
Yeah, I can only find a SON in 15mm.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have never seen a 20 mm one boost or other wise - you can get boost converters mind so 100 mm would do as well
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I use boost adaptors just fine on non boost hub. Got them off ebay. May open your choices.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

OK, Thanks everone.

So am I right in thinking that the SON hubs take adapters?

I think I might just drop them a line & ask.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I don't think the SON hubs take adapters, they make a different hub for boost and non-boost. I've never seen a 20mm dynamo hub. The 110x20 standard is quite old now and was before the dyno thing became popular for bikepacking and mtb.

The last 20mm forks I had were a long time ago in the 26" wheel days and they where the original Pike U turns, good forks though.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Any wheel that is standard 6 bolt brake will take adapters for example i have a 20 MM boost hub that i have reduced down to 15 mm
I also have a 100 mm hub adapted to Boost - 5 mm spacer for the disc
I have a 15 mm dynamo adjusted to QR [and boostable]
I also have a 135 rear adapted to 142 with external 3 mm caps - Offset bushings for this

All the kits were bought of ebay - none were more than fiver iirc

Centrelock wont work generally [ will for 135-142 as the disc is in the same position at 142 as it is for 135 ] as you cannot move the disc out
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am Any wheel that is standard 6 bolt brake will take adapters for example i have a 20 MM boost hub that i have reduced down to 15 mm
Fitting a 20mm hub in a 15mm fork is easy but the OP will need to fit a 15mm hub in a 20mm fork. It might be possible to get adapters made to reduce the holes in the fork down to 15mm and use a 15mm axle but it depends on the axle retention.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am Any wheel that is standard 6 bolt brake will take adapters for example i have a 20 MM boost hub that i have reduced down to 15 mm
I also have a 100 mm hub adapted to Boost - 5 mm spacer for the disc
I have a 15 mm dynamo adjusted to QR [and boostable]
I also have a 135 rear adapted to 142 with external 3 mm caps - Offset bushings for this

All the kits were bought of ebay - none were more than fiver iirc

Centrelock wont work generally [ will for 135-142 as the disc is in the same position at 142 as it is for 135 ] as you cannot move the disc out
Thanks, but I'd need to go the other way. I have a 20mm through axle fork (Rock Shox Revalation dual air) so need a 20mm hub. It's easy with something like a Hope hub, but most these days only do the 15mm Boost standard. The 20mm I have isn't technically 'Boost" although it is a 110mm axle. It is a Rock Shox standard called 'Maxle' used on the Revelation between 2010-2015. They subsequently changed it to a 15x100 in more recent forks.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 am I don't think the SON hubs take adapters, they make a different hub for boost and non-boost. I've never seen a 20mm dynamo hub. The 110x20 standard is quite old now and was before the dyno thing became popular for bikepacking and mtb.

The last 20mm forks I had were a long time ago in the 26" wheel days and they where the original Pike U turns, good forks though.
Thanks- It's not technically Boost, although it is a 110mm axle. It uses a standard 100mm hub body. It's a standard called Maxle used by Rock Shox.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 pm It's a standard called Maxle used by Rock Shox.
It was quite common at one point, as I said I had it on my Pike U Turns, a friend had some Marzocchi Shivers which were also 110x20mm. It was a good standard but most bolt through forks then went 100x15. If you can wait the bike industry will 'invent' the 20mm boost next and then a hub will probably become available :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

MY pike u-turns are 20 x 100 - I still own them [still used on a kids bike] and when i last raised this i was told they dont exist - did they do a 110 version as well ?
To the OP - yes I realise you want the other way - I think 20 mm is the only one you cannot do whether 110 or 100
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 pm MY pike u-turns are 20 x 100 - I still own them [still used on a kids bike] and when i last raised this i was told they dont exist - did they do a 110 version as well ?
Mmm, maybe they were only 100? I'm not sure now, it was a long time ago. The adapters for the hope hubs were held in the hub shell with circlips which were a pain to get out, I remember that much. I swapped my Pikes for some Fox 32s as the Pikes had play in them, the lad I swapped them with rebuilt them and sold them on for a tidy profit.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Maybe they are 100mm. I've always been led to believe they're 110mm, but never actually measured them.
When the air temperature outside drops below 'blast furnace' I'll pop out and have a look.

I think if it meant a new set of forks, I might reconsider my options.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm Maybe they are 100mm. I've always been led to believe they're 110mm, but never actually measured them.
When the air temperature outside drops below 'blast furnace' I'll pop out and have a look.

I think if it meant a new set of forks, I might reconsider my options.
Nope; definately 110x20. but not Boost.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

@ OP might be new forks time - might be cheaper than a 20 mm anyway !
I think even the 15 have issues with the bearings though [ crosses fingers re mine which has been fine so far ]
The adapters for the hope hubs were held in the hub shell with circlips which were a pain to get out
Aye this is what mine has - god that s clip really is a struggle then it flies off and you have no idea where it has gone Thankfully hope sent me one for free
Mine are 2005 ish and are definitely 100mm I am not even sure when Boost became a thing but Hope pro 2 s were out but not evo iirc
I dont think they did either off those in 110 but cannot be certain