What GPS unit to get?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

What GPS unit to get?

Post by Martin B »

Hi, just getting in to bikepacking and crossing over from a mountaineering background. I'm looking to see what the consensus is on what GPS unit and mapping to go for.

I'm very familiar with map and compass and have an very old garmin etrex for getting a grid ref if completely lost in the hills, however I can see the benefit of having something bar mounted showing a map whilst bikepacking through unfamiliar terrain.

What Garmin unit do people recommend and why? Should I consider a touchscreen or not (I may use the unit whilst mountaineering and the touchscreen could be a faff in the rain) I'm also just looking to basically follow routes. No need for cadence, heart rate malarkey.

In addition I currently have a smart phone and have the OS 1:25K maps on it via Viewranger app. Is it worth getting OS 1:25K mapping on the GPS unit as well or will the base map or OSM mapping suffice?

Thanks

Marty
Escape Goat

Re: What GPS unit to get?

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi there.

I occasionally use my Garmin GPS 64 with full OS maps on which is all button operated.

This can be bar mounted and also if you use very good batteries, run time can and will exceed 30 hours.

Touch screen, when you've been wet for hours and there's nothing at all dry on you including the computer makes it incredibly useless as you can't operate the screen. I felt like throwing a garmin 1000 in the Loch when I was on the NC500 and I needed to clear an error message.

Al

Post by Al »

I use an old etrex.
You can bar mount it, use it with gloves on and it’s bombproof. I also like that aa batteries are easy to come by if it dies when out on a longer trip, where as recharging is less straightforward.

I used to use an iPhone and ViewRanger in a waterproof case with a dynamo hub charging it through a pass through battery. The big screen was great, but to be honest it was always quite a faff - finding a power bank that would do pass through charging reliably and the iPhone cutting out because it’s over sensitive to voltage change. I was also never happy that if I crashed and wrecked it I’d lost my ability to summon assistance. I still use it as a back up to the etrex and when I want to look at a bigger screen if I am going off a route.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Oregon and Dakota tend to be the recommendation. I'm using a very old model of the former
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

benp1 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm Oregon and Dakota tend to be the recommendation. I'm using a very old model of the former
Latter for me and perfect for the basic functions I want, plus the ability to just change the batteries when the need arises.
May satan walk with you
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

+1 for the Etrex. Great battery life, easily swappable batteries, reliable and simple to use. I wish I didn't have to plug it into a laptop to upload/download GPX files, but apart from that it does everything I need it to.

The handlebar mounts are cheap too.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Also have an etrex
Had a 20 I broke and now hava touch - prefer the no touch as the sceen does not always activate with a glove on and I prefer just pressing the button on top

There limit is that the screen is small so if you actually need to navigate rathe than follow a line its not the best opton and i assume everyone uses either a phone or paper maps for this purpose
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Oregon 700 is my latest. Pairs with your phone/computer via bluetooth for transferring routes. Big screen, takes batteries.

Though Dakota Etrex and older Oregons I've used without complaint.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Worth having a look on ebay as there are some cheap dakotas and etrex's for sale. I got a spare dakota (I like it that much!) for 50 quid from a guy who'd used it for a bit of geocaching only so it was mint.

For me OS mapping is the only one reliable enough. OSM is OK but has big gaps in whats there and what isn't. If you know someone with an OS map card they can be copied.....
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks for all the replies.

I had thought the not having a touch screen would be better. I'll have a look at the different models - etrex, oregon and dakota and see what my budget matches. I'll definitely look in to OS maps. I quite like the detail on the OS 1:25k.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Elmnt ROAM for me (and possibky partly for Escape Goat from the looks of what he's got mounted above the Garmin on his bars) as it works well with my dyslexia. Not too much information and in keep with the KISS* philosphy...
Managed to navigate Stus Wales route last year without issue and the paths/bridleways/private drives etc etc all seem clearly marked enough... just be aware that if you did get the prevoous versions to the ROAM then theres no blue lines and blotches for water/reservoirs/dykes
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If I were you, I'd buy a second hand Oregon 600. By a fluke, I happen to know that one will be coming up for sale on this very forum.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Also an Etrex user, but use the talkytoaster maps, as these work with both the Etrex and the windows/Mac versions of Garmin Basecamp, making route planning pretty easy (for me)
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Used various Garmin hiking and cycling GPS
Montana 610: Huge display, wonderful for maps, very battery hungry.
Oregon 700: okay display, okay for maps, good for battery, compact, uses Garmin spline Mount.
Edge 1000: okay display, slow for maps, so so battery
Edge 1030: large display, good for maps (though not to for navigating the map), absolutely amazing battery.
iPhone and ViewRanger: massive display, excellent for maps, lives in pocket for overview.

Current use the Oregon and edge 1030

On a bikepacking ride where following a line will use the 1030 on map display and a simple topo map. Keeps the display uncluttered.
In such a setup can get ~20hrs from the 1030 ((BB200 last year, and that’s with the backlight on)).
External battery packs for the 1030 add approx 20hrs each.
When wanting an OS will use the Oregon 700.
On a set of NiMH AAs will last approx 8 hours.

As mentioned above, the touchscreen is a pain on both on the rain, though do have the sensitivity on max.
Did consider a Garmin 66i for a full button unit; however, like a touchscreen. Just means locking the screen when raining.

Edge 1030 has an “out front” mount, that is nice. External battery fastens below, and is 100% waterproof when connected; been extensively tested.

If I could only have one, would be the Edge 1030, mainly down the battery life, and that it just works.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asposium wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm When wanting an OS will use the Oregon 700.
Hmm. I'm about to press "buy" on a Oregon 700 but that battery life figure has me a bit concerned. I normally get 14-15 hours from a good set of NIMHs on the Oregon 600 - 18+ hours on Lithiums.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

This is a good thread as i was just about to plough into the joys of GPS research. The Etrex range look like a good option for myself but is the small screen a real pain?
Also if I wanted to purchase a full OS set of maps has anyone any ebay experience of this type of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-DISCOVERE ... Sw91ZdhIyR
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:37 pm
Asposium wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm When wanting an OS will use the Oregon 700.
Hmm. I'm about to press "buy" on a Oregon 700 but that battery life figure has me a bit concerned. I normally get 14-15 hours from a good set of NIMHs on the Oregon 600 - 18+ hours on Lithiums.
To be fair, the above life is approximate, have better things to do than keep a record.
Just thinking “do I change batteries on an average bikepacking day?”
No.
So therefore around 8-10 hours.
On a solstice walk at the weekend life was approx 8 hours.
Doesn’t matter too much as changing batteries is so easy.
Swings and roundabouts
An Edge 1030 with such a battery life would be a none starter; partly why I upgraded from the Edge 1000
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mr conners wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:30 pm This is a good thread as i was just about to plough into the joys of GPS research. The Etrex range look like a good option for myself but is the small screen a real pain?
Also if I wanted to purchase a full OS set of maps has anyone any ebay experience of this type of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-DISCOVERE ... Sw91ZdhIyR
That seems a good price
Almost too good.
My bull5hit radar is buzzing.
Heck, if genuine I’d buy one for myself.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That Garmin map is obviously fake.

I'll admit to having availed myself of the fakes in the past. On the other hand, I also pay £20 per year for my OS Maps subscription, I've bought genuine OS licensed digital mapping for the whole UK three times previously and have a pile of the latest paper maps that allow me to download the digital version. I have no bad conscience about buying a fake once in a while.

OTOH, I now have that unlocked version, which is easy to copy....
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Shame Garmin doesn’t do a subscription based model for mapping.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

All good replies. I've reviewed my needs and seeing as I'll be using the GPS unit for Scottish winter mountaineering - wet and wearing big gloves - a touch screen is out. Currently considering the etrex 32x as an option. Anyone used it or similar etrex unit and had any issue with screen size?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve used an etrex 30 for some time and a similarly sized etrex vista cx before that.
The screen is undoubtedly small but perfectly usable mounted on your handlebars.
I’d caveat that by saying it’s perfectly usable for reading the data screens and following a crumb trail. I wouldn’t want to use it to free style navigate without a paper map as well. I only use OSM style maps with limited detail. I suspect OS mapping would be far too busy on such a small screen.
The buttons would probably be quite fiddly to use in winter mitts - but that’s not going to be a problem unique to an etrex.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Even in winter I tend to have the tip of my nose uncovered.... :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 pm Even in winter I tend to have the tip of my nose uncovered.... :lol:
You’d want a touch screen for that :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

[/quote]
That seems a good price
Almost too good.
My bull5hit radar is buzzing.
Heck, if genuine I’d buy one for myself.
[/quote]

I know, but will it work I’m wondering?🤔