What GPS unit to get?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: What GPS unit to get?

Post by Alpinum »

Mr conners wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:35 pm I know, but will it work I’m wondering?
Chances are high. Some of my mates have bought 'fake' maps (not from ebay as far as I remember) and they were what seems unlocked versions and could easily copy them.

Just for the record; I've been using Garmin Edge 8XX for about 6 years now, including Highland Trail, Wales C2C (Ian's route in weather he described as "wetter than an otter's box), 4 Iceland traverses, an expedition across the Puna de Atacama, many multiday trips in mid winter in the Alps, summer trips, daily use. All good and well.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mr conners wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:35 pm
That seems a good price
Almost too good.
My bull5hit radar is buzzing.
Heck, if genuine I’d buy one for myself.
[/quote]

I know, but will it work I’m wondering?🤔
[/quote]

The one I bought works fine. It's just an unlocked copy of the genuine OS one.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Martin B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 pm All good replies. I've reviewed my needs and seeing as I'll be using the GPS unit for Scottish winter mountaineering - wet and wearing big gloves - a touch screen is out. Currently considering the etrex 32x as an option. Anyone used it or similar etrex unit and had any issue with screen size?
I have the 32x - great for bikepacking but I wouldn't use it to for winter mountaineering. You really need OS 1:50 or 1:25 for Scottish winter. I haven't run OS maps on the 32x but I imagine it would be quite laggy and the screen is too small really for that level of precise nav. I use an iPhone with Viewranger in a good waterproof case on a lanyard for winter mountaineering.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!
“By a fluke, I happen to know that one will be coming up for sale on this very forum.“
So if this was to make the classifieds, then hoe much would you be looking Colin?
Cheers,
Adam.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Artie Fufkin wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 pm Sorry for the thread hijack!!!
“By a fluke, I happen to know that one will be coming up for sale on this very forum.“
So if this was to make the classifieds, then hoe much would you be looking Colin?
Cheers,
Adam.
Err. I suppose £160. For that I could throw in a "copy" of the OS mapping too. I'd be keeping the mounts though.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've used a Dakota 20 for years and it's been great on preloaded GPX files although it's very slow with a low res screen. Upgraded to a Garmin Edge 830 recently and love it. Also depends on how much you want to spend.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Having taken onboard the replies and reviewed all the different options. I've decided that the most suitable GPS unit for my needs/use is the Garmin Etrex 32. Hopefully will get delivery of it soon and get out on a few adventures. Thanks for all the replies, they've been a great help.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

As an alternative to the Garmin suggestions, I use a SatMap Active 10, it's the old model, I think they are on the Active 20 now. I've got 1:25K and 1:50K OS maps, one set of AA lithium batteries lasts about 16 hours using battery saver mode. Big screen makes it easy to navigate, and you can re-plot routes on the device itself. It's also got glove friendly buttons.

The main downside is that the device is really big, and the mount holds it about an inch away from the bars. Hidden among the usual bike-packing paraphernalia (stem bag, bar bag, light etc.) it's not so bad, but on a regular setup...lets just say it's not pretty :wink: