Go Outdoors set to go in to administration

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Go Outdoors set to go in to administration

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume the lock-down as hit them but I also wonder if it shows a flaw in the 'selling cheap Chinese tat to the ill informed masses' business model?
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:07 am I assume the lock-down as hit them but I also wonder if it shows a flaw in the 'selling cheap Chinese tat to the ill informed masses' business model?
Serious question, have you been on one? The one in Southampton does have some cheaper stuff by brands I've not heard of but the majority of clothing is Rab, Mountain Equipment, Pantagonia, Montane etc. and was out of my price range. They do have some bargains though, often last years styles on the sale rail so was worth calling in for a look on the way back to the ferry. But, it is a very big store and out of town so I did wonder how they would get enough foot-fall to keep trading, they are more likely a victim of the other 'outdoor' shops in town which are full of cheap Chinese tat and compounded by being closed down. for the lock-down.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

I don't know about the rest of the business but they weren't making what most would call sustainable margins on Calibre bikes. There's no secret to why they were such good value, they were just run at really low margins but they still had all the other retail overheads.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As Sean says they have/had a wide range of brands. A somewhat eclectic display at times: lightweight MSR hiking tents next to tent palaces you could park a car in. The bike stuff was a bit strange, more the Aldi end of the market particularly in parts but then they also sold the Dune fat bike which was more than decent for the price.

Ultimately other than the size of their stores there wasn't much to differentiate them from any other outdoor retailer.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I'll miss them if they go - I found it a good place to buy Montane and Rab kit. There was generally a good selection of quality lightweight waterproofs and insulated jackets at different sizes and colours in my local store, plus the occasional absolute bargain.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 am A somewhat eclectic display at times
This might also have been part of the issue. I know that all the stores probably have a similar layout but I did wonder how much climbing equipment they would sell from the Southampton branch? They seemed to be trying to be all things to all people.

Where else could to go to but a climbing rope, a fat bike, a horse grooming brush, some new fell running shoes, a top end waterproof, a skiing helmet and a fishing rod all under one roof?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Quickly skimmed over a piece in the Sunday Telegraph yesterday afternoon.

The bigger issue seems to be acquisition of several other brands, and some debt refinancing which has all coincided with COVID19 basically drying up most footfall in stores.

I wouldn't be suprised if Pentland do a pre-pack administration deal and buy the business back from JD Sports.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:43 am
whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 am A somewhat eclectic display at times
This might also have been part of the issue. I know that all the stores probably have a similar layout but I did wonder how much climbing equipment they would sell from the Southampton branch? They seemed to be trying to be all things to all people.

Where else could to go to but a climbing rope, a fat bike, a horse grooming brush, some new fell running shoes, a top end waterproof, a skiing helmet and a fishing rod all under one roof?
Decathalon :wink:

Seems to work better on the continent than here and I think Decathalon does a lot more "own brand" stuff that is generally reasonable (certainly on the continent when I've need to use it). Go Outdoors don't tend to do so much own brand stuff, IIRC?

I liked GO and thought it had a place. Didn't *seem* as cheap as it used to be (highly subjective). I still got the odd bargain but mostly through price match. Locally it was a good spot to get walking boots from with a half-decent range.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I love go outdoors, I have 2 huge ones near me, I can touch and see lots of stuff to compare , they have huge range, good prices and 10 percent price match, emergency services discount

The problem seems to be that jd own blacks millets ultimate outdoors and a number of other shops selling the same stuff, they also bought out a fishing shop not long since, they just seem to eat up establishments and run them into the ground it's a shame hopefully it will survive, it's like a sports direct jd sports battle of buy up and run down businesses
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think Decathalon does a lot more "own brand" stuff that is generally reasonable
Pretty much all good or excellent kit for the money, all driven by being an own-brand business ie brand value counts. Decathlon are a really clear business model and do a good job of it.
When most people saying what they'd miss about a business is the access to brands at low prices, that business was/is on shaky grounds in a race to the bottom. Has to be more to it than re-selling on price. I guess TK Maxx etc manage it by dominating the market, a lot of made-for lines too, whereas for what Go Outdoors did they were players rather than a leader?
I wouldn't be suprised if Pentland do a pre-pack administration deal and buy the business back from JD Sports.
Pentland own JD - can they do that?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I must admit, like Bob said, I found the range of stuff they sold a bit strange. You havelarge amounts of cheap tat, next to proper stuff from Rab, Montane, leatherman etc. etc.

I liked them, because round my way the staff were often actually outdoor enthusaists and if you ever spoke to one, they'd be really happy to help you because you'd be one of the few after proper kit and asking them if they knew the difference between say the two similar pertex materials, as opposed to "average shopper" after the cheapest possible sleeping bag. I use very little of the high street, but this is one of the few stores I would actually use / go to and have bought lots from them at good prices.

I remember one time when I was behind a family with a trolley full of stuff at the checkout - that totalled something like £65 and it was a full size trolley. I had one item in my hand (a coat or something) to pay for, and it was more than that. The contrast tickled me at the time.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

We've used the Shrewsbury Store to kit the kids out with the own brand waterproofs, walking shoes etc always found it good value.
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I liked them, because round my way the staff were often actually outdoor enthusaists and if you ever spoke to one, they'd be really happy to help you because you'd be one of the few after proper kit and asking them if they knew the difference between say the two similar pertex materials, as opposed to "average shopper" after the cheapest possible sleeping bag. I use very little of the high street, but this is one of the few stores I would actually use / go to and have bought lots from them at good prices.
That's what you want to hear about a retailer - sad to hear they'll be one of the shops closing.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I only went in once and they wanted me to join[and pay them money] to buy things from them - seemed a strange business model for a shop and I declined

Tended to go to decathalon [for cheap or just browsing] as there i could just buy things without that
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 am I only went in once and they wanted me to join[and pay them money] to buy things from them - seemed a strange business model for a shop and I declined

Tended to go to decathalon [for cheap or just browsing] as there i could just buy things without that
That's almost the Amazon Prime model - offer a service with some attractive buy-in then the customer forgets to cancel and you get a monthly income by default. When the Calibre Dune was popular you could get extra discount if you had one of their "club cards" or whatever it's called, made a cheap bike even cheaper which as James notes wasn't exactly a money maker to begin with. May make sense if GO were the only outdoor shop you visited and did so regularly but they aren't Tesco/Sainsbury's/the Co-op that you'd use weekly.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I genuinely found it wierd when they were asking me where i lived - i was saying i just want to buy these things from you now do you want my money or not?

They did not is the answer to that one.

The other broad point is that actualshops cannotcompete with online shops as the overheads are so much higher and most peoplewill make a price based decision on what and where to buy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Serious question, have you been on one?
I have and yes, there were a few quality items in there but the amount seems to have dwindled over the last year or so. I think as a company they gave out something of a mixed message and held a greater appeal for the casual outdoor goer who might have had a hard time understanding the cost of some of the higher quality items. Catch 22 perhaps?

Either way, I feel for those who'll lose their jobs, yet rejoice that it's another nail in the coffin of £9.99 pop up tents :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:49 am

yet rejoice that it's another nail in the coffin of £9.99 pop up tents :wink:
This was my first thought, we just need Argos, Halfords, Decathlon etc to stop selling them as well. :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 pm

This was my first thought, we just need Argos, Halfords, Decathlon etc to stop selling them as well. :roll:
or for them to go into Administration too :???: :???: :-S :-S
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had a big one near me, and have been in plenty of others

You never know, it might be an opportunity to refinance and clean themselves up.

They sell some really nice bits of kit but also a lot of tat. I quite liked their price match approach and have used that quite a few times
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 pm

or for them to go into Administration too :???: :???: :-S :-S
Yes exactly, that's why I said stop selling cheap tents as opposed to going into administration. Much as I hate seeing cheap tents abandoned at popular camp spots (along with all the other rubbish their users often leave behind) I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. I've often wondered whether there should be an added environmental tax levied on cheap tents to make them less appealing to the "wrong sort" or maybe persuade them not to view them as disposable items.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As you were folks!
The jobs of most of the 2,400 Go Outdoors employees look safer after the company’s owners put the business into administration and promptly bought it back under a pre-pack arrangement.

JD Sports Fashion concluded the deal on Tuesday, in what effectively is a restructuring of Go Outdoors to make it viable.
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2020/ ... -pack-deal
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X

I've thought for quite a while now that a lot of companies are just a front for dubious financial instrumentation. What they actually make or sell is a mere sideline and a distraction from the important business of umbrella-ing sharebuyback-ing debtrepackag-ing assetstripp-ing, and - yes! "pre-pack-ing"!! - and any other dodgy ings they can come up with.

Talking of which, how many of these no-questions-asked 'Bounce Back' loans do you think will ever get paid back, or even used to prop a business up, rather than being used as a deposit on a nice Ferrari before the company, oh dear how sad never mind, conveniently fails? I reckon Borearse & Co know this full well, and it's just another fraudulent-in-all-but-name scheme to pump magic-money-tree cash into the economy, as per PPI 'mis-selling' compensation, Help-To-Buy scam, student 'loans', etc.

My name's Ben Elton, goodnight.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It'd be a shame to see them go if only for the, possibly apocryphal, slogan they dreamed up for an end of season sale " Now is the winter of our discount tents" :-bd