Garmin Edge stem mounts

Post by Shewie »

Any recommendations for a good quality stem mount for my 830

The MTB mount I was using on my fatty won’t work with the stem on my new bike

K-edge seem popular from my googling
pistonbroke

Re: Garmin Edge stem mounts

Post by pistonbroke »

Do you mean the K Edge ones that fit under the steerer cap replacing a spacer or that sit out front bolted to stem bolts? Ive got a K Edge that does the former and it is fine although there are dozens of similar design and quality on Amazon or Ebay much cheaper. I prefer a bar mount reversed so that the unit is still on the stem but can be tilted for when the sun is in the wrong place to read the screen properly, although I believe contrast is much better on the 830.
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle ... SwPGNe1hJM

^ Steerer / above-stem mount?

Or stem faceplate mounted -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Bike-Ste ... SwvfpcFw8G

I like my K-Edge fixed mount, Fawkes have them for £20 in a few colours - https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2328087 ... metal.aspx
-though this might be a problem with a higher-rise stem.

Timely, I was looking this am. I have a bike with a 1" steerer and 26.0mm bars and I don't trust those O-ring mounted plastic mounts... anyone got any ideas for a non out front Garmin mount? (sorry Shewie no hijack intended, just while we're looking at mount types.. :-bd )
I prefer a bar mount reversed so that the unit is still on the stem but can be tilted for when the sun is in the wrong place to read the screen properly,
- this, with a bar shim, is probably my best bet if it's not in the way of my knees. Do you use a short out front and have the Garmin sat to the right of the stem?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

this, with a bar shim, is probably my best bet if it's not in the way of my knees. Do you use a short out front and have the Garmin sat to the right of the stem?
My ocd would kick in if I had the unit to one side or the other :roll: I have a few versions on different bikes, the simplest is the SRAM or Zipp branded ones that can be had for about £15 and kink down to the bars so the unit is at the right angle to see. On my bikepacking bike I have an elevated accessory rail which allows for a different make one I bought from Amazon, brand iGPSPORT. The only potential issue with having an 830 on the stem is that the power battery wont sit under it if you need extended battery life.
Bikepacking setup
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Does the igSport mount allow for use of the Garmin power pack? Looks like it does on your photo.
How long is it? I have the official Garmin mount and it’s too long to use in the loop of my Jones bars with the power pack underneath.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

My ocd would kick in if I had the unit to one side or the other :roll:
Yet that handlebar Meccano set is acceptable to you? :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Lune, the total length of the iGPSPORT mount is 12cm, I adapted it to fit the Garmin power type clamp as I use an Edge Explore which has the micro usb port on the underside so I plug in the lead and clamp it without the 1/4 turn which traps the lead against the stem so it doesn't rattle loose. Don't think this will work with the power pack even if there was space underneath. If I ever get a 1030 and power pack I'll have to put it out front to work properly. Seems the 1030 is now obsoleted by the 1030plus which is €600 and has the faster chip of the 830 and 530. I'm certainly not paying that sort of money so on the lookout for a std 1030 at the right price.
James, cheeky bugger! The accessory bar looks much tidier with an Ortlieb accessory bag fitted, the Revo sits above the bag and the bar to which everything is mounted is a CO2 cannister to remount my tubeless tyres in case the pump fails. The Joystick is to add light for off road riding, it's the lack of symmetry that would drive me mad having the Garmin on one side of the stem :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks PB
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:11 pm
My ocd would kick in if I had the unit to one side or the other :roll:
Yet that handlebar Meccano set is acceptable to you? :wink:
The bloody stem cap isn't even straight!!

Aaaaaargh!!!!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You'll be critiquing the state of the garden next! The stem cap is a 1 piece design which screws into an expander as it's a carbon stem. You have to spin it up until it tightens the spacers together which is random so I've no control over the position. The markings are etched in so I can't remove them before you ask!
Back to sensible comments, Lune the SRAM out front mount is 10cm long so a bit more compact.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I think I could mod an old Garmin out front to work. The SRAM one has the arm on the wrong side.
There’s always one bloody thing! I thought i’d found nirvana with my new Edge 530 and the power pack. It’s fine on the Fargo and on my road bike but is pesky on the Krampus. The new Garmin mount which is power pack compatible is looong so the Edge and battery won’t fit inside the loop-hole. Grrr.
However, a plastic out front mount with a removable inner and the arm to the left and approx 10cm length should work with a judicious amount of Dremeling... just need to get one for a decent price second hand and give it a go.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have this sorted now. All hunky dory with the 530 and charge power pack in a mount sitting inside the loop on my Jones bars.
In the end I modified the official Edge out front/ charge pack mount. I cut 20mm out of the arm and glued it back together. I’ve added some re enforcements made from one of those big rectangular yogurt pots and super glued them onto the sides. That’s then covered with black electrical tape to neaten it up.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 pm I cut 20mm out of the arm and glued it back together. I’ve added some re enforcements made from one of those big rectangular yogurt pots and super glued them onto the sides. That’s then covered with black electrical tape to neaten it up.
Good stuff.. should you ever make another, I reckon that would look right at home on Duncan's bars :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

No way man!
This actually looks neat* and if I could be bothered to learn how to post photos I could prove it!

*no offence Duncan :grin:
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

*none taken but you lot have shamed me into tidying up my clutter on the bars.
Getting the lights to clear the bar bag and not cast a shadow was the reason for mounting the Joystick higher and angling the Garmin back reduces sunlight glare, not an issue in the UK ime :smile:
I'm quite happy with this setup which allows switching from the dynamo to power a Revo or charge a buffer battery that feeds the Garmin via a lead that doesn't rattle loose as soon as I go off road. The Joystick adds to the Revo for off road as well.
If I need to reinflate tubeless tyres, I've made a little pipe with a connector to use the CO2 cannister in situ to save dismantling the light mount.
Maybe I could tidy things up further by removing that unsightly patch, what do you you think James? :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

:-bd
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

:-bd

(those Ortlieb bags are good too aren't they / nice patch :wink: )