Sleeping Bag Rated to -6 and a tent 3 edging into 4 season tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Sleeping Bag Rated to -6 and a tent 3 edging into 4 season tent

Post by Piemonster »

I find myself in the market for a sleeping bag, top of the current list is a Criterion Quantum 350.

Anything else in that ball park I should be thinking of? Theoretically I should fit ok in that bag, but something with a little extra wriggle room might be worth looking at, I’m 6 foot and just shy of 13 stone and a partial to stretching my legs/toes if that makes sense. Temperature wise, nothing less insulated, and that should cover most of the year too cold for my PHD Minimus. Looking at some bags they seem to narrow at the feet, do people find that constrictive?

The existing bag that does all this weighs 1.2kg and I’d rather it didn’t and can be retired to van camping where it can last a lifetime with care.

I’m also starting to think about a tent, something for multi day stuff in a bit more comfort, not always on the bike, maybe boats or on foot as well, the occasional bit of touring. Maybe, just maybe 4 season. Use would be in either cold or windy weather, in Scotland, so all year round. I’ve no idea where to start with that. Other than probably freestanding. I’d kinda eyed up the MSR Access 1 or one of their lighter options. The lighter you get the more the usage would crossover with my Laser Photon Elite. Dunno where to start there really. I’m definitely thinking tougher rather than lighter, but still below 2kg.
AlasdairMc

Re: Sleeping Bag Rated to -6 and a tent 3 edging into 4 season tent

Post by AlasdairMc »

I have the Quantum 350, and think it’s great. I do wonder if they’re being generous with the -6 rating, but I’ve never actually been cold in it, and that includes every Bearbones winter bivi I’ve been on.

In terms of tents, I’ve got a Laser Comp, but I’ve wondered about the Solar as a winter tent. The freestanding nature seems to be what makes it a winter tent, but I don’t know how it would stand up to a proper winter storm.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the MSR Access 1
Aren't nearly all the MSR tents inner pitch first? In my mind that makes them far less suitable for year round UK use.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

They are inner first, which is an issue.

Dark wet and miserable, I can visualise a great deal of foul language.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You're welcome to try out my Scarp 1 at any point.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:47 pm I have the Quantum 350, and think it’s great. I do wonder if they’re being generous with the -6 rating, but I’ve never actually been cold in it, and that includes every Bearbones winter bivi I’ve been on.

In terms of tents, I’ve got a Laser Comp, but I’ve wondered about the Solar as a winter tent. The freestanding nature seems to be what makes it a winter tent, but I don’t know how it would stand up to a proper winter storm.
Well, we’re likely to be using the 350 in the same locations at the same time of year. So if you’ve not been cold 👍

There’s always a question with 3 or 4 season tent choices. I don’t think I’m likely to pitch it in strong winds, mid winter, on the Cairngorms plateau.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:37 pm You're welcome to try out my Scarp 1 at any point.
That looks appropriately spacious. Just sneaks in under 2kg with the cross poles?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

1,885g including crosspoles, pegs and bag.

The crosspoles are 353g.

That's the older version. Not sure of changes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Is Criterion a UK subsidiary/distributor of Cumulus?

Anyhow, my girlfriend has a Cumulus Liteline 300 which seems very similar to the Criterion offer. We had a few nights round about -5 to - 7.5° C and she was warm. Mind, she was wearing dry layers and a thin puffy jacket.
Mostly she used it on a full length Therm-a-rest XLite and a 70 g EVA mat, out of the wind (in a tent, where we measured the tempereature).

For tents, I always find mid amazing.
The only lack of substance is when you get loads of wet snow. Even in high winds I find the likes of SMD Deschutes, Locud Khufu etc. to give ample protection. Also for the windy islands in the North Atlantic during an extra tropical cyclone. Trust me, I tried it :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, 'tis a misconcetion as both companies shared a name for a while but are in fact completely unrelated in every way.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm a bit of a wuss so I don't use my cumulus / Criterion UL350 below 1 degree. I've used it at -4 with lots of clothes on and it was chilly. I'm 6'1" and my problem is that I stretch it a bit which I reckon is why I get cold. My cumulus 150 quilt is pretty much as warm and way lighter. Used together I'm warm to about -4 or 5 no bother.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm
No, 'tis a misconcetion as both companies shared a name for a while but are in fact completely unrelated in every way.
Cheers Stu :-bd
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

htrider wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm I'm a bit of a wuss so I don't use my cumulus / Criterion UL350 below 1 degree. I've used it at -4 with lots of clothes on and it was chilly. I'm 6'1" and my problem is that I stretch it a bit which I reckon is why I get cold. My cumulus 150 quilt is pretty much as warm and way lighter. Used together I'm warm to about -4 or 5 no bother.
That’s my concern being on the top limit for height. Even more so as I like to stretch out a little.

Hmm.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cumulus do custom bags - http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... gs/creator Choose your base model and custom away!

Apparently they will also do custom quilts though I've not experience of those, around €25 for an extra baffle (which is 130mm) is the figure I've heard.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Piemonster wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 am
htrider wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm I'm a bit of a wuss so I don't use my cumulus / Criterion UL350 below 1 degree. I've used it at -4 with lots of clothes on and it was chilly. I'm 6'1" and my problem is that I stretch it a bit which I reckon is why I get cold. My cumulus 150 quilt is pretty much as warm and way lighter. Used together I'm warm to about -4 or 5 no bother.
That’s my concern being on the top limit for height. Even more so as I like to stretch out a little.

Hmm.
Meant to say, I actually find having the 350 unzipped and using it like a quilt works better than having it zipped up, provided you use a full length mat to keep your underside toasty. This means you aren't stretching it and it seems to keep me warmer as there is more down on top of you. That said a cumulus 250 quilt is still lighter and probably warmer..... Its annoying being right on the limit between bag sizes!
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Sooo, I think the sleeping bag is going to be custom. Helped along by an impending birthday.

I have PHD Designs and possibly Cumulus on the radar. Anyone else I should consider?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enlightened equipment do a full range of custom quilts.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Criterion used to be the UK distributor for Cumulus. I know this because when I bought my quilt a few years back I wasn't able to get a custom one direct from Cumulus due to them having a contract with Criterion as the sole UK distributor.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Criterion used to be the UK distributor for Cumulus. I know this because when I bought my quilt a few years back I wasn't able to get a custom one direct from Cumulus due to them having a contract with Criterion as the sole UK distributor.
Uhm, something odd. When I reviewed a Criterion bag recently, I asked the question and was told there was never any link other than the name Cumulus?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Here is the email they sent (2015)

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:59:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [contact] cumulus.pl

Hello,

I'm sorry but we don't ship to the UK. It is a part our agreement with our British partner, Criterion sleeping bags. Cumulus will enter British market next year.

You can buy our products in the following stores, with the UK delivery:

http://www.trekking-lite-store.com/
http://www.bivvyonsummit.de/

Both stores have English speaking crews.

Best regards

Jacek Wylezek
Customer service

---
www.cumulus.pl
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wasn't saying you were wrong, simply that something's odd given the conflicting information :wink:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've got a Big Sky Chinook 2 person as my winter tent:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... al-chinook

As a High Volume Human I don't like to be confined to a titchy one person tent during the long winter nights, so I went for the 2 person. There's a one person too that is obviously a bit lighter. Note that the weight quoted does not include pegs or guylines.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

:grin: aye no worries, I only checked my email as I had started to doubt myself and wondered if it actually happened or was just something I'd read on here 😂

This is what happens when you get old!
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

The existing bag that does all this weighs 1.2kg and I’d rather it didn’t and can be retired to van camping where it can last a lifetime with care.
Correction, my current bag weighs 1.61kg

Does anyone have a good guide to sleeping bag ratings. I believe my existing bag is using the EN system.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ultralight Outdoor Gear is always a good source of info

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -need-i303
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger