Sleeping Bag Rated to -6 and a tent 3 edging into 4 season tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Sleeping Bag Rated to -6 and a tent 3 edging into 4 season tent

Post by whitestone »

Piemonster wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Correction, my current bag weighs 1.61kg

Does anyone have a good guide to sleeping bag ratings. I believe my existing bag is using the EN system.
The EN system gives four values but really we are only interested in two of them: comfort and limit. Comfort is defined as the lowest temperature an average woman will get a night's sleep while limit is the same for the average man. Note that the test protocol assumes that the subject is wearing a set of light thermals.

In practice think of the comfort value being for cold sleepers and the limit value for warm sleepers, actually better to think of them as starting points. If a bag is about right for the conditions then whether you feel cold or not can depend on lots of other things: how tired you are; how hungry; how cold you are getting into the bag; etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

True

But that’s hard to measure

What I do know is the EN rating on my current bag and that bag has generally been about right albeit I’d like a little more insulation. So as long as I end up with something about there, it’ll be warm enough. That’s an issue if I buy from someone that uses their own rating system and doesn’t quote an EN rating.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're buying a down bag and the manufacturer gives details of insulation quantity and fp then it's fairly easy to compare all bags.

If it's a synthetic bag, then it'll be much more complicated and probably not really worth trying.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Finding it very hard to look past this https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-300- ... g-bag-2020

About the only concern I have (assuming I can get a full length zip) is the pack size.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

About the only concern I have (assuming I can get a full length zip) is the pack size.
For any given temp rating a phd bag should stuff down as well (maybe better goven the high fp) than anything else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Piemonster wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:14 am Finding it very hard to look past this https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-300- ... g-bag-2020

I've got the 400 (-9) version of that for winter. Eye-watering price but you're getting £126 'off' and it'll last longer than you. I can stuff mine quite happily into an 8L drybag which goes on my bars (at that weight you don't know it's there). I'm v glad I have the full zip though, for 40g weight penalty. It's a luxurious bag to be inside and I have a little giggle every time I slide in.

If you're buying you may as well sell the other kidney too and get the K Series version :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

I was going to take some bottles in my old lady's trolley to the bottle bank, but fiddling with sleeping bags is much more fun.... hang on.....back in a sec....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that was fun. The 400 goes quite happily into 8L as mentioned. My Minimus K is equally happy in a 5L, and in fact only takes up about 3L of that.

I've never bothered trying the 400 into 5L... blow me though, it does!

Having said that, I'm using a 10L bag for the 400, with the no doubt misguided view that it'll loft quicker when taken out.

The thing is, the Hispar is super-wide and massively roomy. I can (fairly) easily change clothes inside it. Of course that room can be a downside too - wasted air space inside.

The only niggle I have is their zips - not always snag-free. Fixed that with a patented Reg milk-bottle-based MYOG.

Reg 'Toasty Warm' Perrin

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If it's a synthetic bag, then it'll be much more complicated and probably not really worth trying.
Aye you cannot really compare if they have used a different inuslation material- a few use their own propietary stuff as well [Nordisk lightweight 10 c one for example- forget what its calledfilling nd bag]
That said you do occasionaly see ones where they have the same fill and weigth but different temp ratings - which leads us back to not point trying

The only thing I know about down is i dont use it,
I tell alie down is usually lighter but if you look around and spend a small fortune you can get near it iterms of weight and warmth.
Eg the nordisk is rated at 10 degree[ its not that warm IME] and is a shade over 300 g- but not much change from £200- Not sure what down costs tbh.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

RIP wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am I was going to take some bottles in my old lady's trolley to the bottle bank, but fiddling with sleeping bags is much more fun.... hang on.....back in a sec....
:lol:

I’ve gone for the Hispar 300 with a full length zip. The custom versions I looked at came in heavier and more expensive somehow. So I’d be paying several hundred extra just for a security pocket.

I say I’ve gone for, this is a birthday present from SWMBO.

I think my existing 20 or so year old PHD Minimus is a significant factor in the decision making. Superb bag, still warm, still light!
Reg 'Toasty Warm' Perrin
Cheers for all that, interesting. I’m feeling this is going to be a good purchase.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tell us all about it when it comes through the letterbox :-bd

(Just make sure you trim your nails before use, or that'll be the end of that investment with its 7X inner :grin: )

((Just noticed they've invented another water-resistant outer - Hypershell, compared to my Ultrashell. I'd be holding out for the Zigashell before buying if I was you :lol: ))

hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I was looking for the same 2 items and ended up with a Forclaz 900 3-season down bag from decathlon. Haven’t tried it yet but it seems very good quality and also comes with a midge net. Also bought a used macpac minaret tent, which is a bit weighty but fantastic quality and very robust..if it’s just a 1p tent their microlight may be worth a look. I think it’s around 1.5 kg.
RIP

Post by RIP »

hoppy58 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 pm Macpac microlight
Big fan, love mine. "Weighty" but indestructible.

Interesting. Seems they do a transverse pole jobby as well now, 32%-off here: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Macpa ... HoEALw_wcB

Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Oh my, the warm glow of consumerism is strong today

Although I’m expertly installing (see bodging) a new drivetrain on at the minute so dare not touch it!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Eh? Bag's arrived then has it? Give us a look!