Tarp and Bivi curious

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: Tarp and Bivi curious

Post by firestarter »

I'm flitting back and forth between lunar solo and a deschutes with a bivy bag, bivy rather than net as if I get a bivy with a net I can use it without the tarp if weather nice I guess , and sometimes pair it with my mini peak 2 to use with my little lad
Also has some privacy If used at a campsite over a tarp (I think haha)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

firestarter wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:20 pm I'm flitting back and forth between lunar solo and a deschutes with a bivy bag, bivy rather than net as if I get a bivy with a net I can use it without the tarp if weather nice I guess , and sometimes pair it with my mini peak 2 to use with my little lad
Also has some privacy If used at a campsite over a tarp (I think haha)
I use a Deschutes and a bivi bag for just those reasons. If the weather's good then no need to put the tarp up. If the weather's bad then put the Deschutes up for protection plus the added bonus that it gives privacy and you don't look too weird* if used at a campsite as to the casual observer it looks like a tent, albeit that it will be the smallest tent there. I once stayed at a campsite where someone had a tent for their dog to sleep in which was bigger than mine :lol:

Here's mine at a campsite last year, I left it there with the kit I didn't need when I rode the SD300.

Image[/url]

Plenty of space for me and all my kit. I like the fact that by adjusting the angle of the pole I can pitch it higher off the ground. If it's not too windy this gives more airflow and you can see under the doors from your bed which means I can see my bike. On Dartmoor last December it stayed up despite the winds best efforts, I was impressed how much punishment it put up with unscathed.

*Obviously turning up on a bike when everyone else brought a car/trailer full of stuff looks quite weird but I think in a good way :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Looks good, now I better start looking at bivy bags again :roll: I need bug net though as I get bitten all the time
The only downside I can see is I sometimes read in my minipeak bug net at night but I'm sure I can forgo that for a more versatile set up
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My bivi is a Borah Gear, it's pretty spacious.

https://borahgear.com/sidebivy.html

It's possible to sit up* with it fully zipped up and there is enough space to be able to read. You might need to let some air out of a mat to get it to bend up behind you.

* I've just tried this to check, luckily Jane didn't wander in and ask why I was in my bivi but she's pretty used to these things now :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Only after the end of the transition period. Tax free now.
As my quote said its not in the EU

If you are certain there is no tax have you source as I want to buy something from them but VAT charges make it no cheaper than elsewhere
8.1 Value Added Tax (VAT)
VAT is generally levied on goods and services at 20%, calculated on the Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) value plus import duty. Special VAT regimes apply to certain goods.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... iderations
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

:lol: cheers sean I'll look them up :-bd
Gari

Post by Gari »

I received one of the Liteway OMM net inners earlier this week, no charges, VAT or otherwise. It took about 6 weeks to arrive though. Used it last night, nice bit of kit, well made and pretty light. I’d have no hesitation in buying from him again. And if I didn’t have a Khufu already would definitely consider his shelter.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:16 pm
Only after the end of the transition period. Tax free now.
As my quote said its not in the EU

If you are certain there is no tax have you source as I want to buy something from them but VAT charges make it no cheaper than elsewhere
8.1 Value Added Tax (VAT)
VAT is generally levied on goods and services at 20%, calculated on the Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) value plus import duty. Special VAT regimes apply to certain goods.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... iderations
Maybe I should try reading things properly :o
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Damn I was hoping the things were cheaper than I thought
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm I am a great lover of flat tarps but these days, the shelter I use most often is a Gatewood cape. Weighs less than 300g (or 400g with pole / pegs). It can be set up very quickly and forms a stable shelter that can provide full coverage. Not too costly either.
I really like the look of this; weight, size, shape and cost.

If I was never going to use it as a cape is there something else that would be more suitable?

EDIT: I should have carried on reading... clearly the Deschutes is the answer...
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Hopefully not off-topic too much.

I have recently got a Gatewood Cape and overall it seems great. Purchased Stu's custom carbon pole & pegs to make a v.light setup.

For a groundsheet, what are people using?
Anyone using Polycro/Polycryo? If so, anyone made anything specific for the shelter?

I have a basic sheet and looking for a way to stabilise it a little and stop it from moving around, but also try and fit across the full floor and how you might achieve that with a pole?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For a groundsheet, what are people using?
Anyone using Polycro/Polycryo? If so, anyone made anything specific for the shelter?
I tend to use permavent because you can sew tabs to it to accept tent pegs.
I have a basic sheet and looking for a way to stabilise it a little and stop it from moving around, but also try and fit across the full floor and how you might achieve that with a pole?
Don't over think it. I wouldn't extent a groundsheet beyond the pole and into the 'porch' a you run the risk of it getting wet. All you need is something big enough to lie on.
May the bridges you burn light your way
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 am Don't over think it. I wouldn't extent a groundsheet beyond the pole and into the 'porch' a you run the risk of it getting wet. All you need is something big enough to lie on.
Good point. Scrapping the idea of extending into the porch, maybe something as simple as gaffa tape over each corner and a hole in that to peg could work. Even just within the sleeping area but that way you are not cutting the sheet at all.

Would a tyvek sheet be less slippery? Maybe keep the polycryo for ultralight stuff if so.
Also planning to get an extra guy setup on the spare and attach that to the bike (or rock/object) to lift the head area a little.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I just use a sheet of tyvek I bought from Stu as a groundsheet, works fine and is pretty non slip. I don’t peg it out but it would be easy to hand stitch a loop at each corner I imagine. Very cheap and effective solution to my mind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 am Don't over think it.
Stu, please could you send me a regular-intervals PM with just those four words. Possibly one of the greatest of my many many failings.

Particularly with respect to groundsheets.

Flip-flop frequently between bits of tyvek, poly and nothing. Flip-flop between exact mat size and a bit extra so I can change on it. Flip-flop between just under-mat sheet and extra separate kneeling and/or changing sheets. Still working out which sheet(s) to use to enable tarp egress for midnight watering the roses without getting hands dirty or pissed on.

More flip-flops than Skegness beach on a bank holiday Monday.

And I really wonder why bother with a mat sheet - more to faff with, no real protection, just stops a dirty mat which is only a problem when packing and which can be got round with judicious mat folding.

Maybe I should just give up with this flat tarp obsession and take out one of those ludicrous HelpToBuy mortgages on an Altaplex with its nice bathtub (*).

Really wish you hadn't brought this up again :wink: .

(*) no.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. Wash the tyvek hard a few times to get rid of most of the slippiness.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Reg, it sounds like you need one of these

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15898581/o ... m-15898581

Tying in nicely with the Go Outdoors thread, it's a camping door mat, you can leave it outside your tarp to stand on for 'rose watering' :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

Next you'll be suggesting a boot-scraper.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For use when peeing, I have two small pieces of rubber, one for each foot. They have some grip to prevent any slipping in the dark. They are attached to my feet via an upper layer so that a "pocket" is formed which my foot can slip into. If need be, this pocket can be tightened up via a lacing mechanism.

They are also dual-use as I can wear them while riding to prevent the pins on my pedals shredding my socks and feet.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mattpage wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:52 am

Would a tyvek sheet be less slippery? Maybe keep the polycryo for ultralight stuff if so.
Also planning to get an extra guy setup on the spare and attach that to the bike (or rock/object) to lift the head area a little.
I'm using tyvek bought from Stu. Mine is cut to 2m length (I'm 186cm) and maybe 90cm wide. The corners have Gorilla tape with hole put through. I have loops of thin elastic cord long enough to extend to the four corner pegs of the cape - bingo - groung sheet stays put.
In my experience tyvek when new is slippy as hell. A tip i received from here was to put it through the washing machine once or twice and it becomes way less slippy and less noisy (it crinkles) to boot.
The extra guy for the head end is a good idea. The cape has small loops at each end to attach them. I have one each end - pretty long 2mm cord set through a cord lock. I always have my bike so the head end is always taken care of, but by using long cords I find I can almost always r1g something up to take care of both ends unless I'm out in the open on the moor.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

For use when peeing, I have two small pieces of rubber, one for each foot. They have some grip to prevent any slipping in the dark. They are attached to my feet via an upper layer so that a "pocket" is formed which my foot can slip into. If need be, this pocket can be tightened up via a lacing mechanism.

They are also dual-use as I can wear them while riding to prevent the pins on my pedals shredding my socks and feet.
Honestly Colin, that’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard in ages!!
Complex, over engineered and extremely size dependant. I’m pretty confident it’ll never take off, therefore I’m out. 😁😁
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Plastic bags are also handy for peeing, whether you put them on your feet to keep the sleeping socks dry when you put your wet shoes on or whether you use them directly will depend on how bad the weather is outside the tarp and how much of a tramp you are :wink: Once used for the latter I would suggest not reverting to the former :lol:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

On the peeing front, how heavy is a 4 foot long catheter?

(Or, however long it needs to be, to reach outside your shelter)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One point when comparing a Gatewood to something else .... the hood makes a fantastic vent, probably better than the peak vents on many other shelters. Also, the pole fits into a webbing harness rather than pressing directly against the fabric which I see as another plud point.
May the bridges you burn light your way
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

This sound better but it does seem to appear quite a bit smaller than say a deschutes