Tarp and Bivi curious

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Huwblut

Tarp and Bivi curious

Post by Huwblut »

I've been following the various shelter threads recently but still seem to be going around in circles.

I have a Golite SL3 which I like and use from time to time. It's not too heavy relatively speaking except for the pole which weighs about 300g from memory. Appreciate I could get a carbon pole from Stuart but ideally I'd like a lighter more compact set up which I could carry regularly and perhaps take on long rides such as the BB200.

Bearing in mind that I don't have much if any previous tarp and bivi experience. I appreciate that shelters are a very personal thing and it's been covered extensively in various threads but thought I'd ask. Also appreciate there'll be somewhat of a learning curve.

I'll need a bivi (not necessarily waterproof)and a tarp big enough to cover me at 6 1" and 85kg. I'll probably use a synthetic quilt.

Not DCF expensive but I don't mind spending a bit as I suspect if it doesn't work out I could sell it on.

I've been looking at the liteway equipment simplex-max tarp and the Astucas millaris bivy sack with a carbon pole from Stuart.

what do you think?

Cheers

Huw
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tarp and Bivi curious

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I am a great lover of flat tarps but these days, the shelter I use most often is a Gatewood cape. Weighs less than 300g (or 400g with pole / pegs). It can be set up very quickly and forms a stable shelter that can provide full coverage. Not too costly either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Do you ever bother with a bivvy bag under it Stu?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you ever bother with a bivvy bag under it Stu?
Usually a water resistant one with netting. It's less faff and potentially lighter than an inner net and groundsheet if conditions call for it. Obviously, you'd happily get away without sometimes.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m a Gatewood user too.
No bivi almost all of the time - the exception being if I know i’m in for heavy rain and am out for more than one night.
I either use a tyvek ground sheet or a Serenity mesh inner if I’m expecting bugs.
It’s tarp weight with almost tent performance.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for the Gatewood. I use it (well when Cath doesn't grab it first :lol: ) with a Borah Gear bivy bag to keep the winged teeth at bay. The current version packs down very small.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Interesting...
Do you think a Gatewood Cape would fit me at 6 1”.

What would you recommend for a bivi with a bug net please?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m 6’2” and fit ok.
I do rub my feet/lower legs on the material hence the sometimes bivi use. You can ‘lift’ the head and foot ends.
You’ve got just about enough room to get changed in the dry, do all your personal admin, and cook just outside the door.
It’s not a tent but not too far off in terms of coverage and comfort.
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 pm I’m a Gatewood user too.
No bivi almost all of the time - the exception being if I know i’m in for heavy rain and am out for more than one night.
I either use a tyvek ground sheet or a Serenity mesh inner if I’m expecting bugs.
It’s tarp weight with almost tent performance.
Mm.. I wouldn't bother with a bivvy bag either I don't think if I had a Gatewood, because my down s'bags are water resistant/repellant. I've had bad condensation on them several times to no ill-effect. My superlight S2S nano-net caters for midges/slugs.

Sorely tempted by a Gatewood but the "purity" (*) of a flattie keeps me on the straight and narrow. For now.

(*) mumbo-jumbo of the highest order there :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What would you recommend for a bivi with a bug net please?
Borah is good but not as cheap as they once were, Alternative is a Sea to Summit nano net and a bit of something as a groundsheet.

https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/bivys-and-liners
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I like the look of the Gatewood especially as it’s been confirmed that I’ll fit inside without too many issues.

Combined with a piece of Tyvek & a head net it looks just the job.

Thanks everyone.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hey, and you know where to buy your pole from :wink:
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Sure do. Thanks Stuart :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'm still deciding, I cant quite work out why the cape over the deschutes or then if you need bug protection why not the lunar solo, but I like double wall tents too lol
Then again I can see some instances a cape/or moreso for the size the deschutes with a bivvy with a face net could be a versatile combination
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As far as remember it was Gatewood over Deschutes because the Gatewood was cheapest!
It’s also a little lighter - mostly because it’s also smaller.

Lunar solo - see price above :lol:

I have actually used the Gatewood as a cape a couple of times on Dartmoor as an extra layer/shelter when taking a break in awful weather.
WSC
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I missed a cape and net on Facebook the other day which was a bugger , that's if it would have ever turned up lol what with Facebook being what it is
Price wise they are fairly similar and for the lunar no bivy needed but a cape and bivy would give a decent amount of room perhaps even more I guess and plenty of air flow, but alas I have no bivy either so I'd have to buy that too lol
Although with a bivy i could use my mini peak with the little lad and he could use the nest i could use the bivy in the porch mmm.. plot thickens :roll:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Am I correct in thinking that with the Gatewood one or both of the "front" panels can be rolled back while it's pitched? It looks like it would be an improvement on my current flat tarp when there's plenty of space to pitch, but could also be at least as good as my usual offset Holden set up if space is limited?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Am I correct in thinking that with the Gatewood one or both of the "front" panels can be rolled back while it's pitched? It looks like it would be an improvement on my current flat tarp when there's plenty of space to pitch, but could also be at least as good as my usual offset Holden set up if space is limited?
Yes, doors can be rolled / tied back. Mine's an old version and only has one door tie (easy to improvise a second) but I believe the latest versions have two.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Got a deschutes and (recently) a flat tarp. Deschutes defo more weather proof but flat tarp better for awkward pitches. My view is its best to have both for flexibility. Flat tarp is a lot less bulk than the deschutes and about 80g's lighter. Once you've worked out your preferred tarp pitch its no less faffy to put up than the deschutes. Borah bag user here and really like it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Another Deschutes user here. As discussed in other threads, they (Deschutes and Gatewood) are similar and I too find it offers enough room to change clothes, eg getting under the shelter cold and wet, change into dry stuff and enjoy a brew, leaving the weather outside.
I can't remember using a bivybag with the Deschutes. Mostly it's just a bathtub floor, rarely with a bug net (only becaude I don't often sleep in mossie infested places).
I'm 6 ft tall and even use the Deschutes for skimountaineering (big down sleeping bag, thick air mat, more gear etc.) in many cases and find it offers enough space.

I too have GoLite SL3, but never used it on my own, simply because I find it too big. For two it's even still a palace. So we (girlfriend and I) only use it on trips where we expect lots of rain and wind and when we're out for multiweek trips.

How about lending a Gatewood or Deschutes? Since many on here use one, it could be easy to get hands on one and test it before buying it. If you find it too small there's shelters like Locus Gear Khufu which are just about 100 g heavier, but offer more space and tend to be more stable in high winds/snow loads, yet are more compact and lighter then the SL3.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I like the look of the Khufu but it’ll likely work out about twice the price of the Gatewood.

Then again there’s this which looks similar and is just a little more money.

https://liteway.equipment/shelters/pyraomm-tarp
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

notin the EU [ Ukraine ]so import charges [ over £135] and VAT @ 20 % and a handling charge - I am not sure if you took that into account re pricing
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Back to the Gatewood...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:30 pm notin the EU [ Ukraine ]so import charges [ over £135] and VAT @ 20 % and a handling charge - I am not sure if you took that into account re pricing
Only after the end of the transition period. Tax free now.
WSC
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I'm 6'1" and have the Lunar Solo and the Deschutes with a pole from Stu and am delighted with both. The Deschutes is the same "length" as the Lunar Solo. Both are slightly bigger than the Gatewood Cape.
Both have guy-out tabs to pull the tarp sides out a bit to get a bit more clearance for the head and feet.- This is useful as I often have condensation on the inside face of the tarp (it's not a problem - just a fact).
I am awaiting delivery of a Borah side-zipped ultralight bivy as an option when required to hide from midges and keep splashes off and also to use standalone if I find some overhead cover - such as an open-sided church porch or barn.