Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Wales open

Post by Mariner »

This just in usual caveats apply
Wales opens to holiday-makers and day-trippers
Steven Morris Steven Morris
Holidaymakers and day-trippers will be able to head to Wales from next month, the country’s first minister has announced.

Mark Drakeford said that the country’s five-mile travel restriction would be lifted from 6 July as long as coronavirus was still under control at that point.

In a surprise announcement on Friday morning, he said the tourism industry should prepare to re-open self contained accommodation.

Non-essential shops will open on Monday in Wales and Drakeford called on people to behave in a socially responsible way and not crowd together outside and inside stores.

No mention of self supported bikepackers though.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wales open

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I noticed yesterday that a few shops have already opened their doors, so it's nice that they've got the rubber stamp to carry on.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am I noticed yesterday that a few shops have already opened their doors, so it's nice that they've got the rubber stamp to carry on.
Does that mean its looking very likely and good for the BB200... Just wondering
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still too early to say really Shaf. Entries would usually open on July 1st but we'll hold off and see how things develop.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Excellent.

Additionally useful for overnighters, if I've interpreted it correctly, is:

"Tourism industry is being told to prepare for self-contained accommodation, such as caravans and cottages, to take bookings from 13 July".

I believe my tarp is self-contained.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:37 am Excellent.

Additionally useful for overnighters, if I've interpreted it correctly, is:

"Tourism industry is being told to prepare for self-contained accommodation, such as caravans and cottages, to take bookings from 13 July".

I believe my tarp is self-contained.
I believe a tarp isn’t self contained...

...tarp tent on the other hand is :-bd

Praise the lord for Wales opening, it’s killing me not being able to pop over the border
RIP

Post by RIP »

:roll:

I think what they mean is you wouldn't affect anyone else by being in it, eg. you can bathe, wee/poo, eat, etc within its confines without having to go down the corridor to the bathroom or over to the shower-block.

So acksherly my tarp is more self-contained than your tarp tent :-P . I can do all of the above things "in" it, whereas if you try them - assuming your tarptent has a groundsheet - at best you'll have a puddle on the floor or at worst a brown blob on the floor.

Anyroad, the key is the "overnight" bit - we know bivvying is terribly naughty whether 'restrictions' are in place or not, but I reckon the "overnight" is the key.

And we shall see, eh: "And in England, overnight stays could be permitted from July 4 as the government plans to reopen the hospitality sector". So with a spot of luck, only one more blasted BaM (June) in my garden shed. Love it as I do, I think I've exhausted its possibilities now thank you.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Really, anything could happen. A fortnght ago we were told not to expect any easing of restrictions, 3 days later they chnged their tune hence the new guidelines.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye. It hasn't happened until it's happened.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I know it's still here and there's little spikes happening (Anglesey meat factory), but it's such a relief to think everyone can go about doing the things they enjoy (to an extent). No more paranoia for parking in a car park a few miles from home (not dogging btw!). :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Did you not mean to send that invite out then? I didn't RSVP for a reason...
ootini

Post by ootini »

I cannot wait. Lockdown has meant I've managed to get out for more day rides than usual but not being able to strap the gear to the bike and "do it properly" for over nighters has been very frustrating.

The question is, where first? Reckon the Clwyds are winning so far.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry to be a bit downbeat today but I fear a little for the situation on 'opening day'. Manchester Evening News for example trumpetting how brilliant it's going to be that the hordes can now descend again onto Wales. I can see another Durdle Door happening at Barmouth and Llandudno. We shall see. Recent history shows a lot of people rate their 'freedom' more highly than taking any responsibility or precautions whatsoever. I wonder if it's too much to expect them to enact both things at the same time. People also have very short memories.

Curiously I'm finding myself wistfully missing 'lockdown' already. In some ways it is/was a hell of a lot more relaxing and slower-moving than the usual frenetic pace of life.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I know exactly what you mean!

It’s going to be like a bank holiday multiplied by the queue for McDonald’s drive through last week :shock:

I’ll be popping over the border in the evening time, will hopefully be quieter. Will wait for a big mountain day a month or so in the hope it settles down

The Berwyns will still be quiet though, so I may head that way initially
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:56 pm The Berwyns will still be quiet though, so I may head that way initially
Aye, I guess of anybody our bunch is most likely to avoid honeypots.

And yes I'm aware that my 'oh dear all the riffraff will be out there again now' smacks of a rather self-centred elitism :wink: . Hey ho.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tend to think opening the fast food outlets and cheap clothes shops was a cunning ploy to distract the masses with the lure of sugar and shiney things. I'm sure with their favourite hang outs open, many won't be arsed to travel too far from home :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:28 pm the masses
ie. Everyone other than 'Boners :-bd :grin: .

Just been out for a ride and it's much busier now. Definitely less effort with distancing from 'the masses'. About every third driver on their mobile too, dunno why that is in particular.

Talking of which - and I must be throwing a right moody today - just what the fu.. I mean just what the fark is this thing with people sitting in their parked cars on their phones with their engines still running??. There was a woman doing it outside our house earlier for a good ten minutes. It seems very prevalent. Either they start their engines and then ring someone, or stop and ring someone before then getting out.

Just stop fu... I mean please just stop feckin' doing it, alright?

Sorry. Thank you. What an intolerant old curmudgeon I am today.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well if it's gonna be owt like Malham was today when we rode through it'll be rammed! The only time I've seen it busier has been show day, even then it might be a close run (parked) thing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I can't stop thinking about wanting to do the route from 2 years ago for the winter event. Great 50 odd miler off road. It's class.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:03 am
Still too early to say really Shaf. Entries would usually open on July 1st but we'll hold off and see how things develop.

I was hoping WRT could now go ahead in August. WRT event has been the central event for me for the last five years. Having said that, my ongoing health issues may mean a “token” attendance on my part, but if I can get it past my Lady, then I’ll be there. Target :- two months to get fit enough to do “something”
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was hoping WRT could now go ahead in August.
I'm still hopeful Lu.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

ootini wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:41 am I cannot wait. Lockdown has meant I've managed to get out for more day rides than usual but not being able to strap the gear to the bike and "do it properly" for over nighters has been very frustrating.

The question is, where first? Reckon the Clwyds are winning so far.
Still waiting for over nighter on the Clwyds seems its local :cool: , watch that sunrise
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I have "Enter BB200" written on my wallchart for today, but I've been away from here for a couple of weeks and see that the decision to take my money has been deferred...any inkling when the next likely entries open date might be?

I don't really care whether the event will go ahead or not; it's worth a non-refundable thirty quid for a few months of hope. :|
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't really care whether the event will go ahead or not; it's worth a non-refundable thirty quid for a few months of hope. :|
Not yet Paul. I didn't see any use in opening entries until the picture was a little clearer. Obviously there was the option of opening anyway and refunding later but it costs me money to do that as paypal no longer return their fees when a refund is made.

I shall endevour to give plenty of warning of an inpending entry open date.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I had originally hoped to be using the 300 as my triumphant return to bikepacking events following my hip smashage... though having had COVID screw up my lungs I'm now sort of just hoping that I'll be able to get around the 200 instead.

I do hope it goes ahead, I really badly need something to motivate me out of this depression.