Would you 'concern' over this wee ding

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Would you 'concern' over this wee ding

Post by redefined_cycles »

For reference its off a Cannondale Prophet which looks blinged out. Managing to get it at close to £700 (so just a couple more bits to be sold and I'm on budget). I've never really heard or read about Cannondale mtb cracking or frame failure so am inlcined to not let it bother me much. At the same time it is alu so thought to put out there in case anyones had some ghastly sudden issues on Cannondales or something equally as strong....

Obviously if it was steel I'd not be asking the question (would just buy) and if carbon then I'd be half/half...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
redefined_cycles

Re: Would you 'concern' over this wee ding

Oh... its on the driveside swingarm...

This is what she looks like in the flesh... Aint she gorgeous. Gonna call her Heti (poor mans Yeti) :-bd if anyone beats me to her then so be it. Can confirm the seller seems to be a top bloke and the headtube is future proof fron the dreaded 'tapered' issue... Its all oversized

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

there's only one way to find out
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've never really heard or read about Cannondale mtb cracking or frame failure
Really, or is the irony sailing over my head?

Search "crack n fail" on Google and feast your eyes on the majesty of the internet and its contributors on the subject (now that is sarcasm!).

As with most things like this, a degree of truth, some time ago, blown out of proportion etc etc.

With the dent I think I'd be relaxed about it but I freely attest to not knowing what I'm talking about :cool:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If it’s my bike, would I be bothered? No

Would I buy a bike like that? Definitely not
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 am

Search "crack n fail" on Google and feast your eyes on the majesty of the internet and its contributors on the subject (now that is sarcasm!).

As with most things like this, a degree of truth, some time ago, blown out of proportion etc etc.

With the dent I think I'd be relaxed about it but I freely attest to not knowing what I'm talking about :cool:
Ok... let me qualify that statement. Never heard of the 'Made in Trump Country' frames cracking and definitely not the hardtails :???:

I'm gonna try not to open that google search :smile:
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 am

Did the search... Have been enlightened...
jameso

Post by jameso »

What are those two lines above the dent/scrape area? I'm more bothered by those than the dent itself. (Edit, it's probably just the paint/laquer cracking only).

Not sure I'd be too concerned about a small dent in an alu frame but I would be bargaining hard on it. But it's a seller's market currently.
Last edited by jameso on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am If it’s my bike, would I be bothered? No

You do make a fair point... lets see what fate decides :grin:
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:45 am What are those two lines above the dent/scrape area? I'm more bothered by those than the dent itself.

Not sure I'd be too concerned about a small dent in an alu frame but I would be bargaining hard on it. But it's a seller's market currently.
2 lines... have zoomed in... Well spotted James :-bd hopefully they're paint cracks :shock: but you've just given me summat to bargain over
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Did the search... Have been enlightened...
I'd hesitate to say "enlightened". It's just the usual cr*p on the internet and should be taken with a sufficiently large dose of salt. I only mentioned it as your wording piqued me, not as a reason to avoid the frame.

I hate to point out something else as well but beware "Made in America" stickers as a potential indicator of quality, if that is what your other statement is intended to imply. Such stickers can mean anything from the whole bike being sourced and fabricated in the US to only that sticker being stuck on there, whilst everything was done elsewhere. There is much stuff in the bike industry that is utter BS :cool:

Before anyone shouts, I'm neither side of the fence on the Asia / America / UK manufacturing quality debate :cool:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I bought my Cannondale 1fg ultra back in about 2005. Everyone told me that the frame would break and the headshock wouldn't last 5 minutes.

15 years later, no cracks and the headshock has been faultless. The magic motorcycle cranks were however made of cheese (and still command silly money secondhand), so they were replaced with Middleburn cranks.

But, would I pay £700 for a bike of this age? It would have to be something very special for me to do so, and I don't think this is.
May satan walk with you
Scud

Post by Scud »

Me personally, i think £700 is very steep for that, it is a bit of a sellers market currently, but in my eyes, from the age and that damage, i would says its a £450 bike...

My advice would be that if you have a bike currently and can wait a while, hopefully this virus will pass, and soon with winter coming and half of the new cyclists not continuing into winter/post-COVID (and i hope i'm wrong) then it will become a buyers market for bikes and turbo trainers...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

* walks away *
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If the ding does crack, how easy is it to get a replacement rear assembly?
Chew

Post by Chew »

This:
If it’s my bike, would I be bothered? No

and this
* walks away *
I'm not an expert, but i'd imagine that all of the force of the rear suspension is going to be pushed through that dent?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'm glad others have said that's not £700 worth as I wasn't sure, not too hot on S/H bike values, but it didn't seem like a bargain tbh. Bikes are going for high prices at the moment but that's more about hybrids and the like. (sorry Shafiq)
There is much stuff in the bike industry that is utter BS :cool:
There's a bit of fudging that can be done based on where the value is added or the processing, not where we might think of the main construction being done. ie welding the frame or paint and graphics? See also Custom Butted / Aerospace grade etc etc and don't get me started : )
What riles me is the 'assembled in UK' that I've seen, hints at the frames also being UK made when they're Asia made. 'All assembled here in the UK' .. lots of talk of UK work but nothing about the frames in detail. ie you mean build from boxes that arrive on a boat. Be proud of where you make stuff or don't talk about it, one or the other.
redefined_cycles

Excellent info and i did start with a £550 offer (without considering or thinking bout the dent) which was/is reasonable. But my judgement was clouded (had a Furio f800 hardtail which rode ace) but the seller understandably has decent money invested in it with little riding...

Oh well... onwards/upwards (unless seller comes back accepting 550 which would mean a good recycling/experiment investment...

:-bd really appreciated
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm I'm glad others have said that's not £700 worth as I wasn't sure, not too hot on S/H bike values, but it didn't seem like a bargain tbh. Bikes are going for high prices at the moment but that's more about hybrids and the like. (sorry Shafiq)
There is much stuff in the bike industry that is utter BS :cool:
There's a bit of fudging that can be done based on where the value is added or the processing, not where we might think of the main construction being done. ie welding the frame or paint and graphics? See also Custom Butted / Aerospace grade etc etc and don't get me started : )
What riles me is the 'assembled in UK' that I've seen, hints at the frames also being UK made when they're Asia made. 'All assembled here in the UK' .. lots of talk of UK work but nothing about the frames in detail. ie you mean build from boxes that arrive on a boat. Be proud of where you make stuff or don't talk about it, one or the other.
Completely agree.

My favourite one on a frame was always

"Hand finished in the USA"

Which i took mean.. stickers.
redefined_cycles

Just an update on this as it (in my opinion) all seems to have worked out rather nicely...

Mentioned to the nice chap (very very nice chap actually who really went to town with describing the bike as best as he could) about the cracks in the patinwork which could well be cracking developing in the alu underneath. Nice chap, for his own piece of mind, scrapes away the paintwork and its lovely shiny alu underneath. Offered me the bargain price of £600 if I still wanted it...

In the meanwhile (I really really wanted) an Orange 5s spiled my interest yet again and thought maybe I might get lucky and be able to win one of them. Wasn't happening as anything decent is well over 1k at the mo. Decided the £600 being offereed on the Cannondale was an offer not to be missed. So after work this am I drove past and checked the chain. Was spot on and not worn so I did the 'tree hugger' thing and bought it.

Bearings all feel tight and an extra brandnew HighRoller2 thrown in the equation, I really felt I was ripping the seller off so paypal him £605 (extra fiver for a coffee).

Spec list (for reference) is:

Fox 36 forks in 150mm kashima flavour which look and feel mint... the 1.5 inch headtube means other forks can easily be plugged in there.

Fox RP23 shock which again feels nice and tight.

Hope Pro2 hubs on Stans Arch rims (rear needing a true which isn't end of world and will be done in due course).

XT and SLX 1× drivetrain (OnOne chainring and grips which will really have to go... in the bin :geek: ).

Top end (Pro and Answer) bars and stem as well as a super budget but working dropper post...

So nice in fact that even my roadie mate seems to be getting converted across to mtb. Enjkyed todays super muddy ride... Properly capable bike with online reports that it can handle 27.5 rims with the shock in xc mode

All in all I'm a happy shopper and look forward to thrashing it about over the months/years. Never realised how thin 2.3 tires would loom after a couple years on 2.8 and 27.5.

Slightly limited in the triangle for BPing framebag so that'll be interesting trying to figure out something appropriate and hoping to whack some 2.5 inch tires in there (clearance seems fine).

Thanks again all :-bd
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Shaf, I wouldn't worry about 2.35 on a full suss like this. I have the same on my Commencal Meta and I think they are perfect.
May satan walk with you
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have 2.4" XR4s on my Orbea Occam. They seem plenty wide enough given the purpose of that bike. Skinny is the 2.1" 26ers on my wee SS. They are both small and far away :lol:
redefined_cycles

ssnowman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:40 am Shaf, I wouldn't worry about 2.35 on a full suss like this. I have the same on my Commencal Meta and I think they are perfect.
Thanks Graham... Yeah, especially the High Rollers as I know well of their awesomisity (erm.. maybe thats not a word.. yet) from pre Plus bike days. But they just look so puny now that am thinking some 2.5 (of it fits) or 2.4 (marginal aesthetics imporvement but still) would just make it ait so much more nicely...

Main thing which I forgot to mention and is the main point of this very purchase. Is that the 14 year old loves it and it even got him away from his Fortnite voluntarily for a couple hours yesterday :-bd If only he understood what 'trail bike of the year' and 'compared and on a par with Orange 5' meant :grin:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:08 am I have 2.4" XR4s on my Orbea Occam. They seem plenty wide enough given the purpose of that bike. Skinny is the 2.1" 26ers on my wee SS. They are both small and far away :lol:
Have you seen any still on sale and (bonus points) on offer anywhere. I'm gonna love riding this thing I think (when he lets me) and might even PM Stu in case he might lend me his expertise to make me a bag for a decent enough price (I've got the material and would send him the zippers... so imagine he might allow it for £50 or so for his time :wink: )