HOW MUCH!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cyclepeasant

HOW MUCH!!

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Got some loose change guys n gals??

https://absoluteblack.cc/graphenlube-wo ... nt-coating.

:o
Insanity over vanity
faustus

Re: HOW MUCH!!

Post by faustus »

Lasts up to 1800kms!? 'Up to' could mean anything...'only' £11.99 for 14ml (how small is that!). I suspect it's for roadies, what lube would ast 1800kms off road...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Fair does, Jumbo Visma did win an awful lot last year. Who knew it was down to their oil :lol:
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

"3-10W savings over other lubes"

yous are focusing on the distance gains, its all about the watts. all about it watts
Karl

Post by Karl »

"Even the best lubricated chain in perfect laboratory conditions still generates about 4W of frictional losses from the start."

Cheapest solution....don't use lube! :-bd :lol:

Seriously though, that's eye watering. If I got that I think I'd produce more power trying to prove it was a worthwhile investment. Think I'll stick with my large bottle of Smoove Lube.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I know someone who will buy that. I am going to send them the link and see if they do. :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

"This is the cost of winning."

:grin:

All right, call me nuts but.... if I could get between 1200 and 1800km of average weather road riding between lubes, maybe. Apply it well and if it's thin/efficient you'd get maybe 25 applications from a bottle that size? Perhaps more. 40,000km with a lack of faff in between - a bold claim but that's £115 on chain lube in 4 decent year's riding. I probably spent £20-25 a year on wax lube as it is, that's only 3 or 4 bottles. Most durable wax lube I've used (Fenwicks) can go for 300, maybe 400 miles at a push in the dry but it's thick and a bottle doesn't lube the chain that many times. The least (Muc-Off) generally won't last 100. I'd want to hear reports from the Steve Abrahams of this world first though.
It's a lot, though not much different to spending more up front on durable hubs and BBs.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Holy oh my... Is the lube oval too?
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

jameso wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 pm I probably spent £20-25 a year on wax lube as it is, that's only 3 or 4 bottles. Most durable wax lube I've used (Fenwicks) can go for 300, maybe 400 miles at a push in the dry but it's thick and a bottle doesn't lube the chain that many times. The least (Muc-Off) generally won't last 100.
You could improve the cost and performance by moving to a slow cooker waxing regime - a tenner will get you 2 kilos of wax which will last maybe 5 years, depending on how clean the chains you put in it are. Optional addition of PTFE powder will cost another £15 but improve performance. Mr Oz Cycle on YouTube reckons it'll also help you get up to 15000k out of a chain (!)....I haven't confirmed this but neither have I bought a new chain in the last couple of years since I've been running waxed ones (initially bought 4 so I could have two per bike to rotate). I'm definitely a convert! :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There's some bogs up my way (well normally, they are all dry just now) that would have that stuff off in 100yds....
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlexGold wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm You could improve the cost and performance by moving to a slow cooker waxing regime ...
.. I'm definitely a convert! :cool:
I'd been reading good things about motorbike wax, good tip, cheers. The Fenwicks stuff is similar, I have to warm it before applying and a hair dryer helps get it into the chain (useful thing in the garage, a hairdryer!) and I wondered what sort of step up the melt wax might be. I'm also not getting great chain life, no worse on oil or wax lubes, just replacing fairly often. I guess there's no better way to get the wax into the chain than a bath in the stuff. The wax itself - Plutoline or other?

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-ch ... you-money/ - 'Australian Adam Kerin' - same Mr OZ Cycle guy on youtube? Mentions similar numbers for melt wax in among test info for wear rates across different lubes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Interestingly the Muc Off Nano, £50 (yes, 50) for a 50ml bottle (yes, more expensive than the AB lube here :lol: ) also comes out very poorly in terms of wear rates in the tests linked to above, suggesting high friction. You can buy a Shimano chain treated with this stuff for £110...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Putoline user here. I don't think it's the be all and end all, but I've been using it for 2 or 3 years now and I don't see myself ever buying "normal" lube again. Certainly not at that price! :lol:

I think you make a valid point James - if it genuinely lasted 1800km it wouldn't be too bad value-wise. But we all know it won't unless we ride laps of a class 100 clean room controlled to 10% humidity. If they offered some sort of guarantee if it didn't last that long, it'd be worth a try, but that wouldn't work in the real world either.

Back to my camping stove and tin of wax in the garage then. That's very much the real world :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reviewed some 'super lube' a few years ago and the lubrication properties were actually very good. The problem was that while the inside of the chain was (perhaps) all lovely, the outside would quickly begin to rust in UK conditions. Maybe external rust isn't an issue but it didn't produce much confidence in the product.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... e-oil.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am I reviewed some 'super lube' a few years ago and the lubrication properties were actually very good. The problem was that while the inside of the chain was (perhaps) all lovely, the outside would quickly begin to rust in UK conditions. Maybe external rust isn't an issue but it didn't produce much confidence in the product.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... e-oil.html
That's also a bit of an issue with Putoline - it soaks in nicely, but if you wipe it off the outside, it does rust in the wet. But if you leave it on, it attracts dust and gets everywhere. It's mainly aesthetic, and you can just wipe it with an oily rag, but it's not ideal.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You lot and yer bloody fancy concoctions, I give you ...

:wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:38 am Back to my camping stove and tin of wax in the garage then. That's very much the real world :cool:
Bivi spot chain servicing images come to mind. Slurps coffee next morning, realises there's wax floating in it...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've never had much joy with motorbike chainwax other than on O ring chains - plutoline, silkolene, rock oil and wurth. Doesn't last 5 minutes in the mud. Squirt wax seems the most resilient.

And the amount of times I've needed chainlube on a trip and ended up with 3:1... Actually works very well as its thin so doesn't gunge everything up and, crucially, cheap :-bd
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:46 am https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-ch ... you-money/ - 'Australian Adam Kerin' - same Mr OZ Cycle guy on youtube? Mentions similar numbers for melt wax in among test info for wear rates across different lubes.
Not sure what his actual name is, here's the vid - the info has a link to pics that summarise everything as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr9znwpwmQ

re the wax, this stuff is what I have currently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pure-Par ... SwcxhbiV0V
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlexGold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 am re the wax, this stuff is what I have currently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pure-Par ... SwcxhbiV0V
That's the paraffin wax on it's own, is that enough to lubricate well? Branded bike stuff has teflon/PTFE/molybdenum in it (yes, between jobs this am I've been browsing wax lubes, exciting times :???: ) but that may be snake oil gains.
Boab

Post by Boab »

All the putoline chat you could ever want...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 am
AlexGold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 am re the wax, this stuff is what I have currently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pure-Par ... SwcxhbiV0V
That's the paraffin wax on it's own, is that enough to lubricate well? Branded bike stuff has teflon/PTFE/molybdenum in it (yes, between jobs this am I've been browsing wax lubes, exciting times :???: ) but that may be snake oil gains.
As per the Oz Cycle recipe, it's 10:1 wax:PTFE powder - i got mine from somewhere like: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000574 ... b201603_53 ....and it took AGES to arrive, but got here in the end!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure what his actual name is, here's the vid - the info has a link to pics that summarise everything as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr9znwpwmQ
Cheers I liked how much attention he had put into his chain wax and how little he had put into right angles or parallel for the electrical sockets he was plugging the slow cooker into
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlexGold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm As per the Oz Cycle recipe, it's 10:1 wax:PTFE powder - i got mine from somewhere like:
Thanks - note to self, RTFM / WTFV!