Garmin for Dummies

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Garmin for Dummies

Post by Shewie »

Time for another noob question

I bought a Garmin Edge 830 in the January sales, it looks nice but I haven't got a clue how to use it properly.

Can anyone recommend a link or resource where I can learn how to use these things, I understand most of the concepts such as creating and uploading routes but don't actually know how to do any of that, in other words is there somewhere that breaks these things down for a complete wazerk like me.

I've been searching the web but it seems most of the Garmin stuff is reviews and presumes you know what they're talking about, sadly I don't have a scooby doo.

Seems like a lot of dosh just sitting there on my bars and not really using it to it's potential.
Lazarus

Re: Garmin for Dummies

Post by Lazarus »

TBh I dont do much with mine so consider what you actually want to be able to do with it
Loading routes into it and following them is about as much as I am interested in
I use memory map to do my routes so not sure what resources are available on line
So what do you want to be able to do with it?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:05 pm TBh I dont do much with mine so consider what you actually want to be able to do with it
Loading routes into it and following them is about as much as I am interested in
I use memory map to do my routes so not sure what resources are available on line
So what do you want to be able to do with it?
I have Memory Map too, used it plenty for hiking routes but always printed them out on A4. I'll see if I can find how to transfer a route across.

I'm not too bothered about the training stuff it offers, some of the stats info might be interesting though,
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If you want to record and archive the rides and look at climb stats, speed etc, you need to pair up with a web based resource such as Garmin Connect, Strava, or Wikiloc (there are more) which the 830 will talk to as soon as you press save on a ride. I use Wikiloc and have an Explore which has the larger mapping screen, if I take my mobile on a ride, get home and save the ride on the gps, it's there on my tablet before I get in the house. The 830 has loads of training metrics, few of which I'm interested in as well as trailforks which allows you to follow other people's trails and official mountainbike trails if you're in a popular area. All of this is done wirelessly so no need to plug it into your laptop to download and upload stuff. DC Rainmaker is definitely the best youtube resource as he updates his info as he learns more stuff. He recently posted 18 things you need to know https://youtu.be/eIYIO6EY0Vg
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Every route creation program/site has its own way of doing things but there's a few generic things to look out for.

When you export a "route" (quotation marks are deliberate) what you actually want to export is a "track". Confusingly they both have the same file extension! The difference is that a "route" in Garmin terminology is a series of points where the unit makes up the best route to get between them. A "track" is what someone would record when walking or riding around then uploading to Strava or whatever. Some sites will only produce a "track" but they call it a "route" :roll:

Whatever the file is called, download it to your computer and save it somewhere.

Plug your device into your computer and it will appear in Explorer/Finder as a new drive, usually called "Garmin". Click on it to open it and you'll see a folder, also called "Garmin". Open that folder and you'll see a whole list of folders. The one you are interested in is called "New Files". Copy the file you downloaded to "New files" then eject/remove the device. Reboot the device and it will take the file and convert it to its own internal format and it will be ready to use and follow.

Of course Garmin being Garmin your route/track isn't in "Routes" but in "courses" so navigate to there and search for the route name.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'll see if I can find how to transfer a route across.
save the files as a GPX not a MMO
Plug in Garmin - should show as a drive and then drop it into a folder - not sure what its called but obvious GPX/Routes or some such is the name

Try something from your house first as it easier to test just walking round the block
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Shewie - Youtube is usually the best place to look for idiots guides for these things.

I use an 830 and am reasonably proficient with it so will be more than happy to help if there's anything you need a hand with.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks for the pointers and info guys, I'll explore a bit more this evening after work

:-bd