Quilt Length

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Quilt Length

Post by Lazarus »

I am considering getting a Quilt but how long do they need to be ?

As I am 175 cm would a 180 be long enough ? I assume this is the length before being drawn in? but I have no knowledge of quilts or whether the measure is open or closed or whether it matters.
Its three season use so i doubt i will want to put it over my head /hide inside but the option may be useful. I also tend to side sleep if that matters

Its this one because its cheap and seems to get good reviews - a stu link so cheers for that
Two sizes 180 and 200

This dilemma is based on 100 g difference in weight.so I am sure you can understand the importance

https://liteway.equipment/sleeper-quilt
lune ranger

Re: Quilt Length

Post by lune ranger »

When I bought my quilt (EE Enigma) I went for their standard length which they claim to be too short for my height by 5-10cm or so.
It hasn’t been an issue.
I mostly side sleep in a semi foetal position, but I fo switch around a lot.
I can still get it all tucked up around my shoulders and be cosy - not a fan of bits sticking out when I sleep :shock: Obviously my head is because quilts don’t have hoods, but a hat overcomes this.
I’m a little taller than ave at 188cm so have been used to using sleeping bags that are a little short anyway.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I suspect they would recommend 200cm but by my experience you should get away with the 180cm if you’re inclined to save a few grams.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Apparently its 172.5 when zipped up so I am leaning the way you suggest unless the hive mind says differently
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A quilt should just cover your shoulder so if you were lying on your back the top edge would sit just up from your collarbone. However your effective length does depend on whether you sleep on your back, side or front. You are shortest when on your back, longest when on your front. When on your side you lift the edges of the quilt up.

I'm 180cm and my quilt (Cumulus) is 190cm and it's just long enough, it's got a sewn footbox so you can't open it out so it's the one length.

I'd say you are right on the borderline for length but also consider the extra 10cm in width on the larger model - stops draughts coming in from the sides if you turn in your sleep. If it was for being ultralight and racing my choice would be to go with the smaller one, for overall comfort I'd choose the bigger one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am A quilt should just cover your shoulder so if you were lying on your back the top edge would sit just up from your collarbone. However your effective length does depend on whether you sleep on your back, side or front. You are shortest when on your back, longest when on your front. When on your side you lift the edges of the quilt up.

I'm 180cm and my quilt (Cumulus) is 190cm and it's just long enough, it's got a sewn footbox so you can't open it out so it's the one length.

I'd say you are right on the borderline for length but also consider the extra 10cm in width on the larger model - stops draughts coming in from the sides if you turn in your sleep. If it was for being ultralight and racing my choice would be to go with the smaller one, for overall comfort I'd choose the bigger one.
Agreed.

If push-comes-to-shove probably easier to mod a too-big quilt than one that's too small.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I’d be interested in how it turns out as I’ve been looking at the As Tucas model which is twice the price.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

consider the extra 10cm in width
at 10 stone i am not sure i need to worry too much about the width - feels like you could get two of me in some sleeping bags and i was wondering if all the extra space not filled up by by me made sleeping bags a bit colder for me and a quilt would help as i could " wrap" it round me

Yes i think the overall view is correct the smaller one may work but its a bit risky - £20 postage so not exactly cheap to take a punt and get the wrong one
I’d be interested in how it turns out as I’ve been looking at the As Tucas model which is twice the price.
I shall let you know as I suspect I will end up with one as i dont have a three season bag and end up having to decide to be too cold or too warm

Appreciate the help and advice - not sure which way I will go though
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think Cumulus increased the length of their standard quilt as I'm 6'1" and mine is ideal for burying my head under when it gets chilly, without stretching it.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I used a cumulus 250 quilt. I'm 186 and it's just fine, can just get it over my shoulders. I'd reccomend this quilt too.