ESI 6.75” grips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimH

ESI 6.75” grips

Post by JimH »

Had some issues with my hydraulic disc set up so these grips have been on and off a few times. I’ve used alcohol spray to lube them up to get them on and off which has worked great but I struggle to jam a flat blade screw driver down them without damaging them. I’ve now split one of them wide open :cry:

Any tips on what to use to pry them off the bar to spray down them? I’ve ordered a new set
In Reverse

Re: ESI 6.75” grips

Post by In Reverse »

I use a kebab skewer and window cleaning spray.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Just poke the wd40 straw down and squirt
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

As radars, to break the seal,use a spoke with End rounded off and threads Sharp peaks filed or ground down. Then feed both in at same time and squit in small bursts.
Insanity over vanity
JimH

Post by JimH »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 pm Just poke the wd40 straw down and squirt
It says not to use lubricant otherwise I would’ve done this. Wasn’t sure how I could remove the WD after to stop them
Slipping once refitted.

Kebab skewer maybe a shout if i cut the sharp end off. These grips do seem fairly soft, not entirely sure why I ordered another set but will give them one more go
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Surely,they can be degreased with carb cleaner or brake and clutch cleaner,they are not supposed to damage seals,o-rings etc.
You could try soapy water instead of gt85 or WD-40, squirt it in with a syringe, I have successfully used fairy liquid when a lube is not available.
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use a kebab skewer and window cleaning spray.
Yeah but what do you use to get grips off?
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Lots of alcohol and lots of lube. Same with any other sticky situation I find myself in frankly.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Silicone spray lube is the best thing for this. Appreciate not everyone has access to a workshop where they won't notice one of these going missing though :???:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Another great use for a compressor, nozzle on one end of the bar, palm on the other, quick blast and the grip comes off the hand side. Repeat for other grip, to fit grips, same procedure but push. Need to be a bit careful for closed end grips as they can travel quite a way when they shoot off.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

JimH wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 pm
UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 pm Just poke the wd40 straw down and squirt
It says not to use lubricant otherwise I would’ve done this. Wasn’t sure how I could remove the WD after to stop them
Slipping once refitted.

I fitted my esi grips with GT85 last time I had them off as the hand sanitiser I normally use was worth more than gold at the time, no ill affects and they are not moving on the bars
JimH

Post by JimH »

restlessshawn wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 am
JimH wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 pm
Slipping once refitted.

I fitted my esi grips with GT85 last time I had them off as the hand sanitiser I normally use was worth more than gold at the time, no ill affects and they are not moving on the bars
Ok thanks for that, worth noting for future
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

As Pistonbroke, I use air, but don't have a compressor, so use a high volume track pump hooked up to a bar bung with an old presta valve through it.