Bar tape recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robsmuddygloves

Bar tape recommendations

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Hello all, I received a lovely pair of genetic digest bars in the post for my vagabond, excited to see what they are like. But, I haven’t wrapped bars for years and was after any recommendations for good bar tape, I prefer a bit of cushioning. Let me know if you have any favourites, cheers :-bd
ScotRoutes

Re: Bar tape recommendations

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm a great fan of Lizard Skins DSP. It has a sticky/tacky quality that means you find yourself not gripping the bars so tightly. As a result, you get much le ss road buzz.

For touring and long distance I have Fizik gel pads under the tape.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Road bike not very bothered
Off road bike as above something with Gel/padding for added comfort -usualy price /colour based decison rather than brand loyalty
robsmuddygloves

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am I'm a great fan of Lizard Skins DSP. It has a sticky/tacky quality that means you find yourself not gripping the bars so tightly. As a result, you get much le ss road buzz.

For touring and long distance I have Fizik gel pads under the tape.
You’re the second person to recommend lizard skins, a bloke at work said they were good. I’ll have to check the out, cheers.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lizard Skins DSP is pretty good but...
I personally found it didn’t wrap/stick too well at the first try and it only lasted about 8 months before the outer layer started to come off.
In a not too different price range and imo much easier to wrap and much longer lasting (2 years and still in good nick) is the SupaCaz Supacush.
Aweful name for a great tape. It can end up costing more than the bars though.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I use Zipp Service Course tape. It's my one little luxury on what is otherwise a pretty workhorsey build.
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/ac-sc-tape-a1

Along with some gel pads. They've survived being retaped/swapped over different bars at least half a dozen times.
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... AC_GELPADS
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I used BBB cork tape on my Digests until recently, it's cheap, easy to apply and works as well as any other cork tape I've used. A recent change of levers meant a retape and the BBB stuff was out of stock in the colour I wanted so I decided to try something more modern and went with FSA Power Touch gel tape. It's definitely not as easy to apply well as the cork stuff is but once on it does feel nice. I'm pretty sure that if it needs replacing I'll go back to the BBB cork stuff though, at quarter of the price it's a no brainer. The gel tape is nicer but it's not that much nicer.
Last edited by Jurassic on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Digests are fairly springy, comfy bars IME, esp the wider versions. I just used classic Cinelli cork tape on mine as I felt they didn't need additional padding.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have a vagabond with digest bars, and I just double wrap using bar tape from decathlon as it is cheap and because you will hit the bars on a post, tree or doorframe the first time you ride them, they do stick out!

Be careful setting them up as they can swing around and whack the top tube if you don't.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If you can get hold of it, the Evans own version fat/thick bar tape is really really good. Comes with the gel pads which are much better and comfier than the Fizik (feel funnier/flimsier though as slightly sticky/tacky).

Specialized fat tape is also good as is the Cannondale synapse tape. All of them though dont keep their bounciness/comfiness forever but you just keep the gek lads abd reuse in a year or so...

Supacaz is also good but from a grippy/sticky POV as well as longevity. I personally have found my perfect balance for 200 miler road riding is cannondale Synapse underneath and the Evans gel pads then the Supacaz over it all. Sprry if thats seems to fat. You only nwed to use the gel pads in key areas where resting the hands for ling periods mind...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Fabric Knurl. Very good tape.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

+1 for Specialized Phat tape. The version that comes with the gel inserts.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

wriggles wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:51 pm +1 for Specialized Phat tape. The version that comes with the gel inserts.
Thats the one.... that gel was still better than the proper Fizik ones (I think I ended up chuckin them away)... but not as good as the Evans/FWE ones. They were even better than the proper 'caring' grade pressure relief pads (didnt nick em... bought off fleabay) :-bd
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:02 pm I use Zipp Service Course tape. It's my one little luxury on what is otherwise a pretty workhorsey build.
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/ac-sc-tape-a1

Along with some gel pads. They've survived being retaped/swapped over different bars at least half a dozen times.
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... AC_GELPADS
I’d second the Zipp tape, it’s pretty comfy and performed in the rain yesterday.
robsmuddygloves

Gummikuh wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:59 pm I have a vagabond with digest bars, and I just double wrap using bar tape from decathlon as it is cheap and because you will hit the bars on a post, tree or doorframe the first time you ride them, they do stick out!

Be careful setting them up as they can swing around and whack the top tube if you don't.
Cheers for that, definitely a darn sight wider than the stock bars, really looking forward to trying them out in earnest. Thanks one and all for your suggestions, lots of food for thought and things to check out. :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've used the Evans own brand FWE tape on my Arkose and some Lizard Skins DSP tape on my MTB. I like both, but i felt the DSP went on smoother and has a tackier feel.
When I retape the Arkose I'll probably switch over.